Pierre's 2003 Golf TDI Build

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDIs: 2003 Jetta, 2016 Q5 3.0
OK.... I am finally close to having all the power parts i need to start my build .... Sooooo... now I can start this thread.... Up till now, I have been doing a bunch of boring chi chi cosmetic mods.... Soon the real fun will start as soon as my head gets here.

Here she is when I first bought her in Virgina. I think this was the ad photo I bought her from:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

My 14.71 sec quarter mile run tothemax-vs-lugnut

First mod was a little Alum trim inside:

Last edited:

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Then I got her some new shoes...and HID's .... She's looking better already ..... Got a great deal on some used mint R32 shot peened RC's with potenzas and used HID's.

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Next had a ball at the the Sac GTG http://picasaweb.google.com/bayareatdi where Fixum Rich put in:

a new TB kit

An 11 mm pump and this super cool Nicktane http://nicktane.com/osc/ 1 micron fuel filter

And some Blistein coilovers. It corners amazing but it feels just like riding without a supension, kindda a like riding a hardtail. Had to take some Advil when I got home for my neck ache.

Last edited:

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Next my Whitebread 2.5" DP

New custom Whitebread DP went in

Trying to blow it out the side on this one instead of a sporty tip since the car is white

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Doniol Custom Digital Gauge went in along with some associated work to be able to put in the gauge:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=188736&highlight=custom+gauge

First had to do the EGR cooler delete and then I put in the Thermocouple ... then the Gauge. initially had a bad tap in MAP circuit so the gauge did not work at first... after some troubleshooting I finally figured out that I did not have any MAP signal going to the gauge. Changed the tap and all was fine. I am very happy with the gauge but the troubleshooting took me nearly all frickin weekend.

And finally

Last edited:

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Then Out with the PSS9's

In with the Koni Coilovers

Also added:

Rotors
Akobono Pads
Front Sway bar bushings & end links
Tie rod ends
LCA's w/ TT bushings
Ball Joints

+
Brake Bleed &
Wheel Alignment

She drives TIGHT and SWEET.... and way too frickin hard still... ran into some drama trying to adjust them... they are still not to my liking but will have to live with them for now...

Real PITA to adjust the rear Koni's ... one has to take them out of the car

Still trying to figure these out and decide if I will keep them ....

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Then as I continue to wait ... I build up my garage full of parts and work on some more chi chi cosmetic stuff

I installed a brushed alum radio cage ( What a PITA!) and a OEM iPod adapter.

and replaced the missing little radio knobs...

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
She's is in the body shop now for a couple weeks.... recovering from a fallen chain from the roof... (a gift from my teenage son... who left a frickin chair on the roof before taking off for college... wind blew it right off and right down onto her) Finally got all the insurance stuff worked out... Getting the Hood, fender and rear quarter panel painted... + some more cosmetic goodies on the body... No photos yet... will be in there one more week... Should get out just about the time when my head gets here and then the real fun will begin.....

Last edited:

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Pierre, what a great thread first off. Great way to show off all your hard work. However, don't let the wifey see this thread LOL... Can't wait for the post body shop pics!

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
Pierre your car rides nice with the new suspension, at least for my taste and feel, and also remember that the suspension needs to get broken in , I can already predict that Pierre's car within 3-6 months, it is going to be irrerecognizable, it is going to be a jewel.

Last edited:

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
Great thread Pierre. Your ride is going to be sweet.

I've been trying for a day now to get my wife to let me buy a second TDI. Vetoed!

im no hero x

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta Variant 5-spd
Have you cut the bumpstops on your suspension?

My Koni coils rode horrible last time I drove the car haha. They're at my mechanics place (tdijetta99) getting the bumpstops cut along with a bunch of other goodies :)

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
toastyjosh said:
Very nice build, I would like to do something on the same track.:D
Thank you for the compliments guys!

Farfromovin said:
Pierre, what a great thread first off. Great way to show off all your hard work. However, don't let the wifey see this thread LOL... Can't wait for the post body shop pics!
No worries ........" You are spending all your time and our money on your car and your forum" .... "But honey , all this stuff in the garage is used and was given to me by my friends on the TDI Club..."

MAXRPM said:
Pierre your car rides nice with the new suspension, at least for my taste and feel, and also remember that the suspension needs to get broken in , I can already predict that Pierre's car within 3-6 months, it is going to be irrerecognizable, it is going to be a jewel.
Both your and Phillips Golf's are an inspiration of me. Maybe after these mods are done, I can ride with the big boys at the West Fest ...... trying to place with Justin's and your two rockets.

rocketeer928 said:
Great thread Pierre. Your ride is going to be sweet.

I've been trying for a day now to get my wife to let me buy a second TDI. Vetoed!
Yes.. that was a pretty hard sell....I only won one battle and not the war ..........

"You have to sell one of your cars..... We can't afford two cars...."

"But honey, I can't drive the white car while I am working on it and I need to put these parts into it and then we can talk about it + I need the Grey car to drive to work.."

"OK then, just while you are putting the parts in it but when all this work is done on your atre gonna have to pick one to keep and we will sell the other one..."

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
im no hero x said:
Have you cut the bumpstops on your suspension?

My Koni coils rode horrible last time I drove the car haha. They're at my mechanics place (tdijetta99) getting the bumpstops cut along with a bunch of other goodies :)
I guess I need to buy some..

I think I am going to get the sports ones which a re shorter

http://www.tdiparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=373

I have none on there right now and it never comes close to bottoming out... just way stiff..

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
tothemax said:
Yes.. that was a pretty hard sell....I only won one battle and not the war ..........

"You have to sell one of your cars..... We can't afford two cars...."

"But honey, I can't drive the white car while I am working on it and I need to put these parts into it and then we can talk about it + I need the Grey car to drive to work.."

"OK then, just while you are putting the parts in it but when all this work is done on your atre gonna have to pick one to keep and we will sell the other one..."
Women!

Oh, c'mon! You can't put in all that hard work, time, and money into a car and then just sell it. Has your wife driven the TDIs? Does she know how much fun they are, especially when tuned correctly?

I still haven't convinced my wife about looking at the '96 Passat TDI. I told her that if I got it then I would keep it stock and not dump a lot of $$$ into it like I'm doing with the Jetta TDI. Probably, the only thing I would do is a Rocketchip, assuming that's possible.

If they can do scrapbooking, modern-day Tupperware parties (e.g., jewelry and Pampered Chef), etc. then why can't we have our hobbies? I know the answer is always due to the expense of our hobbies. But, money isn't everything, and in the end you can't take it with you.

Women!

Last edited:

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
rocketeer928 said:
Women!

Oh, c'mon! You can't put in all that hard work, time, and money into a car and then just sell it. Has your wife driven the TDIs? Does she know how much fun they are, especially when tuned correctly?

I still haven't convinced my wife about looking at the '96 Passat TDI. I told her that if I got it then I would keep it stock and not dump a lot of $$$ into it like I'm doing with the Jetta TDI. Probably, the only thing I would do is a Rocketchip, assuming that's possible.

If they can do scrapbooking, modern-day Tupperware parties (e.g., jewelry and Pampered Chef), etc. then why can't we have our hobbies? I know the answer is always due to the expense of our hobbies. But, money isn't everything, and in the end you can't take it with you.

Women!

Yes, the work and the money.... The book value of our Jetta's for example is maybe about 9k or 10K max if we were trying to sell it. There no way to recover the cost of all the aftermarket parts and labor that went into our cars if we were trying to sell them. I might do an exercise to try to assess the true cost of everything that went into each of my cars.

No worries, I will figure out a way to keep both. one for commuting and one for a hobby - AutoX , drag and maybe track if I can get up there.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Looks nice. I have a weak spot for 2 door Golfs, and my son and I both have one. It'll be interesting to see how your car and mine compare when we're both done. I'm sure of one thing: mine is lighter. 2,400 at the last corner balancing.

Regarding spouses and cars, I was fortunate: my wife never complained. And if she asked why another TDI was appearing in our driveway (we had seven at one point) I'd just say "they could be Porsches."

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hey Minh,

Tnx for checking in. Glad that you are following my build and it's great that you joined the TDI club. Have you bought another TDI since? Sorry, you cannot buy her back .... you'll have to get another one and start your own build... ;)

PS - Minh is the PO

nicerideva said:
Can I get her back after you're done? haha

-minh :) Can't wait to see the final reveal.

Last edited:

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
IndigoBlueWagon said:
Looks nice. I have a weak spot for 2 door Golfs, and my son and I both have one. It'll be interesting to see how your car and mine compare when we're both done. I'm sure of one thing: mine is lighter. 2,400 at the last corner balancing.

Regarding spouses and cars, I was fortunate: my wife never complained. And if she asked why another TDI was appearing in our driveway (we had seven at one point) I'd just say

Tnx for the compliment Pete. We both have weak spots for 2 door golfs. After I finish the build then I will try some lightening as well .. Ideally would also like to start doing some track events like you ... they look like so much fun. Will start with autoX first though and I will do the SCAA track certification weekend in March.

I really like your quote "they could be Porsches" and I will use it for sure next time.

P

Last edited:

reynolcj

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW Golf 4-door, 2005 Passat Wagon
I haven't made it through the whole site yet so if you don't mind me asking, where did you source those aluminum parts? My golf is missing the little cover/door that goes over the ashtray/12V....plus the door handles that get all nicked could use a replacement! Looks great!

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I bought all of my alum trim used on http://forums.vwvortex.com/ from various members of that forum.

You can also buy some new ones here http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Brushed_Aluminum/ES248611/ from ecstuning

reynolcj said:
I haven't made it through the whole site yet so if you don't mind me asking, where did you source those aluminum parts? My golf is missing the little cover/door that goes over the ashtray/12V....plus the door handles that get all nicked could use a replacement! Looks great!

Last edited:

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Got her back from the body shop. All the dents from the chair are gone plus some added cool stuff:

R32 OEM Bumper
Pillar Delete
Hood Notch delete
Emblemless grill
R32 OEM spoiler
GTI Tails

Not very happy with the front grill. it's a cheepy one..... it's gotta go. Will need to get a better quality one to go in there. Otherwise very happy w/ the paint job.

Last edited:

TDikook

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'06 Golf Anthracite Blue
Pierre, Is the FMIC installed? I cant even see it. Man now I HAVE to get an R32 bumper. Like the build!! great work...

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No. Not yet. Just got the car back from the Shop today.

I have to get the motor build out first because the pipe we got only fits on the 17/22. I still ahve the vnt 15 in there right now. Over the next couple months, I'll put everything the FMIC on along w/ the 17/22 and some other goodies.

TDikook said:
Pierre, Is the FMIC installed? I cant even see it. Man now I HAVE to get an R32 bumper. Like the build!! great work...

tp_taylor

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 GOLF GLS TDI
Great lookin whip! Just a thought...maybe mute the little brace bars with black paint behind the grills? I am basically your opposite...black in color. ; )

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That's a Great suggestion! Thank you ... Will do for sure .... it would look much better....

tp_taylor said:
Great lookin whip! Just a thought...maybe mute the little brace bars with black paint behind the grills? I am basically your opposite...black in color. ; )

shizzler

Veteran Member
TDI
05 BEW Wagon
? I don't really understand the need for new (or even cutting the stock) bumpstops. You should almost never be bottoming out. If you are, you need to stiffen the shocks some more, or just raise it back up. Does cutting the stops actually increase total suspension travel?

Konis seem to be the smoothest riding coil set (that still go low) out there. But they do need to break-in over at least a few weeks. I think if you are still finding them too stiff, maybe you just aren't cut out for coils. Get shine springs and stay up high if you can't tolerate the ride quality. In the interest of full disclosure I keep my koni fronts at full soft, even when I am set low for summer mode. What spring rating koni set did you get? (they have different rates for 4-cyls and VR6 engines).

Thanks for the detailed build thread though! Can't wait for the power mods to begin.