Newbie, first post

euro55

TDI
Just bought my first water cooled VW a 2003 Jetta TDI. Been into air cooled bugs going on 40 years. My first question would be it is missing the timing belt cover so I am in search of one. Will it be ok to drive it with it missing until I can find one. Thank you all in advance...

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Earlier this year I had a small stone or something get into my belt cover and the result was 8” of teeth gone from the belt. That pretty much trashes your head and can bend the rods in an alh.

Last edited:

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
DO NOT DRIVE, not even one mile my friend. take it from the ones here (me included) who have had things get into our belts, i was lucky that this only happend to my main belt and it took off the pulley and stranded me. If your timing belt gets even off by 3 teeth, kiss your engine goodby.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Euro55, welcome to the club and to VW water cools ...

I started with the Air-cools. Amazing engines. I still own an 83 Van and 76 Beetle..

Yep, as others have stated, you really need to find and stall the TB cover. But, do you have any clue as to why it was off? Have you looked in the trunk? It may be there. Was someone inspecting a long over due Timing Belt change?

The 03 was the last of the ALH engine ..... very good engine, capable of 500k miles if maintained properly!

otm646

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 AHU Jetta.
Before you go installing the new cover verify when the timing belt was done last. I'd hate to have your new car throw a belt for simple lack of maintence. As you're probably aware that results in catastrophic damage to the engine.

euro55

TDI
thank you for all the input, I have no idea why the cover was left off. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where I might be able to find one