Appalachian Diesel Works - Asheville, NC

zortmo

TDI
99, 01, 06
I would like to recommend Daniel Grindstaff near Asheville, NC. He has worked on two of the TDI's in our family. Daniel replaced my wife's 06 DSG flywheel. On my son's 03, the timing belt broke and caused damage to the valves but fortunately no cylinder wall damage. Daniel did a rebuild on this engine and it runs great. My son lives in Asheville near ADW shop.

I was a line mechanic at an Atlanta Porsche/Audi dealership when I was younger. At almost 60 I now try to avoid major work in my garage shop. I drive three hours to ADW for major repairs. Daniel is passionate about TDI's and IMO, a trustworthy and skilled mechanic.

Mike Asher

terrydtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 MK4 TDI Jetta 5spd
Daniel does great work, I would highly recomend using them. Lots of knowledge there with Daniel and Landon, quality people.

d2305

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Ram EcoDiesel
The don't want my business. Never called me back, and didn't know how much they charged for a timing belt replacement.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Did Daniel take over for Landon? Or both still wrenching on TDIs?

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
The don't want my business. Never called me back, and didn't know how much they charged for a timing belt replacement.
Small shops can get overwhelmed by work, calls and emails. Also, some projects blossom in scope and screw up all others on the schedule. Sometimes not every request gets a response. Nature of the business. And the folks try to have a life outside of work, too.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
I'm sure that was a aberration. Perhaps when Daniel took over for Landon? Please give them another chance.

I can highly recommend ADW. I've wrenched with both mechanics and they are very competent!

ps Landon still pitches in when needed

loudspl

Veteran Member
TDI
02 ASV w/ 02J
Did Daniel take over for Landon? Or both still wrenching on TDIs?
Landon helps out on occasion but it's really Daniel's "proprietorship"

If you can't get a hold of him the first time keep trying. It's worth it. Honest work at reasonable rates. You can't go wrong with them ;)

Last edited:

fabed23

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta ALH - 5spd
All is well the tdi land. Got a follow up e-mail from ADW.
agreed with the above posts...

it may be hard to get thru to them but they are some good, honest, hardworking, and smart mechanics from what i have heard and experienced.

i had them change my TB and did a great job... FAST TOO!
took less than a half day and he was calling me back saying its done!

bsbaron1

TDI
06 jetta
Even though they are extremely busy,they have helped my daughter and I out more times than I can count! I don't care if it is a two hour round trip, it's worth it. -Baron

fabed23

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta ALH - 5spd
agreed with the above posts...

it may be hard to get thru to them but they are some good, honest, hardworking, and smart mechanics from what i have heard and experienced.

i had them change my TB and did a great job... FAST TOO!
took less than a half day and he was calling me back saying its done!
Need help, DPF out , Greenville NC. DPF delete
ADW is located in WNC if you are able to bring the car out that way. Otherwise may be best to find a guru in the local área where you are.

I think there are some that would make the trip to have them Work on their tdi but its a good drive for you. I dont know of any east coast gurus but put the notice Out there!

Good luck

No More Buffalo

Veteran Member
TDI
Current: 2015 Golf SEL 6m Sold: 2012 Golf 2dr DSG
Another Greenville TDI! If you've seen a Grey 2dr Mk6 Golf around town that's probably me. Your best bet is probably Apex Tuning in Apex...just west of Raleigh.

I'd also curious as to why you immediately think your DPF is bad. Does it just need a forced regen? #1 rule of these cars is to not just throw parts at a problem you don't 100% understand.

Last edited:

TDI:)

TDI
05 Passat
I would like to echo the above and assure you that your dealing with a very skilled and honest gentleman. I have a 2005 B5.5 2.0 BHW and I had Darren do the BSM at 195k. I live in Greensboro NC and it's a 31/2 hr drive to his shop. I drove over on Sunday with my motorbike on the trailer - left the car with him for the week and picked it up on Saturday. The old chain was noisy but did not look too bad. However it was on the decline and almost two years and 50k miles later I am pleased with my decision both to do the mod and to have Darren do it. When I was leaving I asked him is this for major $ I have to put out on the car and he did warn me the TC's are not great. Sure enough 10k miles later it did. This time I took it to the local tranny shop in High Point and was happy with their work.

Whit45

TDI
00 Jetta, 12' A3 DSG
Been using Daniel for the last 4-5 years on my '00 '01 Jettas for timing belts, suspension, clutches, and general service. He just did a DSG, and fuel filter service on the wife's '12 A3 yesterday(1-23-14). The guy is a Pro, the Total Pkg. I swear he was weaned on Diesel fuel...lol. He knows the software side as well as the mechanical side of these TDI's and domestic diesels. I will be seeing him in the near future for a tune from Jeff at Rocketchip, if we can get a couple of more folks that want a tune to meet at Appalachian Diesel. Jeff said 3 or 4 folks would make it worth the drive from PA to do some tuning. Let me, Daniel, or Jeff know if any of you are interested.

Stromaluski

Veteran Member
TDI
'67 Deluxe Bus, '80 Rabbit Truck, '92 Corrado, '10 Cup Edition
Been using Daniel for the last 4-5 years on my '00 '01 Jettas for timing belts, suspension, clutches, and general service. He just did a DSG, and fuel filter service on the wife's '12 A3 yesterday(1-23-14). The guy is a Pro, the Total Pkg. I swear he was weaned on Diesel fuel...lol. He knows the software side as well as the mechanical side of these TDI's and domestic diesels. I will be seeing him in the near future for a tune from Jeff at Rocketchip, if we can get a couple of more folks that want a tune to meet at Appalachian Diesel. Jeff said 3 or 4 folks would make it worth the drive from PA to do some tuning. Let me, Daniel, or Jeff know if any of you are interested.
How far out are we talking? I'd be interested, but it'll be a bit before I'll be ready for it.

jsrmonster

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
I will be heading to Daytona Fla bike week in mid march and can stop by Daniels on the way down or back. Jeff

ottomatic

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golfwagen SE 6MT
thanks for the link calling today for my 40k service

(just called scheduled for next fri)

Last edited:

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
I would like to thank Appalachian Diesel Works (Daniel and Landon) and jsrmonster (Rocketchip) for coming to my get to gether yesterday.

They helped out many people and taught folks a lot.

It is always a pleasure to see them.

dirtconnector

TDI
2004 jetta wagon
I will be heading to Daytona Fla bike week in mid march and can stop by Daniels on the way down or back. Jeff[/QUOTE
Sounds good, that would work out in my time frame.
Will keep up with this thread. I would like to get a RC tune to go with the suspension upgrade Daniel installed last month. Hopefully my schedule will allow...Potential dates?

Whit45

TDI
00 Jetta, 12' A3 DSG
Talked to Jeff today, and he said Sat. March 15 would work for him. If he decided to head home from FL earlier than expected, then we would meet on Friday the 14th. Instead of meeting at Appalachian Diesel, we're going to be meeting at my friend's garage in Waynesville, NC. Waynesville is about 20 miles West of Asheville around exit 27 off I40. Emai or PM me for further info.

Last edited: