Build Update CJAA

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
So the failure you had sent metal through the turbo as well, that sucks!
2872 with your mods should be a beast!

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Very nice! If it's making 310 lb-ft @ 5k rpm, that's like 300 hp. Impressive.

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Sportwagen, 96 Passat TDI Sedan
Not sure what is going on, but I think the DSG is limiting torque at 307ft/lbs. Need a DSG tune adjustment.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Is the in tank pump humming along? You could pull a line off the filter housing and check for flow. It shouldn't be the glow plugs at those temps.

Last edited:

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
Not sure about the tank pump, but I pulled a log and it shows rail pressure while cranking.

https://log.malonetuning.com/chart/...Dj0bCgMO6HsKNU8ONwoHCuHfCtRjDswB0HCw1dQAAAA==

The half dozen or so times the the car sat more than a day or so since the first fire of the rebuild, yes, it has done this. Always starts, but something isn't working just right.

Am fortunate to have some help from some guys way smarter than me. One suggestion was to swap the pressure retention valve on the injector return line. Will give that a try and see what happens.

Thanks for your comments.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It might be related to the lowered compression ratio. Seems to run well once going. If you have a block heater, that may be worth trying.

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
It might be related to the lowered compression ratio. Seems to run well once going. If you have a block heater, that may be worth trying.
I thought about that. But it seems to be more time related than temp related. For example, last week the car was parked outside overnight and was a little cooler. Car started fine or a tiny hiccup starting. At the time of this video, the car sat in the garage for two days.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Most likely the piston modifications - completely unnecessary, it'll cause more problems than it'll solve.

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
But if we're the slightly lower compression ratio, I'd expect that starting after sitting outside all night and being 55°F out would be the time that this issue would manifest itself. In that case it started just fine.

I wouldn't say piston modifications were completely unnecessary. The last engine had valve to piston contact.

Last edited:

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I wouldn't say piston modifications were completely unnecessary. The last engine had valve to piston contact.
Did you cut valve reliefs in the pistons? I didn't notice any.

The starting issue could be fuel leakdown maybe.

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
We took the outer face down an extra .5mm. If it were poor starting due to the compression ratio, id expect it to stumble more upon startup. But when it hits, it pops right off and runs perfectly.

Best theories so for are fuel pressure leak down or perhaps a stuck ASV.

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
This is as good as time as any to stop here and thank those who have helped me get this far. Never would have happened otherwise....

TDISynco
TDI2Micron
Kevinski
Malone Tuning
Geoff at Colt Cams
Baril Engine in Green Bay WI
Darkside Developments
Mac Radiators
VL Performance
Andre Duesk
Matt Whitbread
TDICLUB members who have commented on my posts

I'm sure I'm forgetting some, so please forgive me if you have given me your time and advice and I didn't mention your name.

Couple bugs to work on yet, but the engine is spins nice and really sings up to redline.

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
Camshafts ..could also give you issues on startup.
My experience with camshafts : i would never spend on camshafts again. Totally a waste of money imo with 0 benefits (2.0 CR )

If you machined 0.5mm from top piston and enlarged bowl, that may be too much.
If you put 3hole gasket ..that worsened the situation.

Since engine ran perfect before ..i dont think injectors went bad while you were building it.
These builds take a lot of time to get right. You'll get there.

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
Used a 1 hole head gasket and have .915mm piston to head clearance. If it were too low of compression, I'd expect it to run poorly for a few seconds once it starts, but it runs perfectly when it starts.

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
We turned on the glow plugs for every start no matter what the temp and it seems to have helped with the long crank on starts.

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
How did you get custom cams fit into this. I thought the cams were part of the head assembly and didn’t have caps