Airbag Crash Sensor

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
On my daughters 2002 Beetle, the Airbag light is lit, VCDS shows the error
01221 - Crash Sensor Side Airbag; Driver Side (G179)
From what I can find searching using Google, it seems that the Front Drivers Side airbag sensor needs replacing (or possibly a loose connection). From the searches, it seems that this sensor is behind the front bumper, requiring the front bumper and fenders to be removed. I have found a how to, to accomplish this, but before I remove the multitude of screws holding the front end, I wanted to ask if this sensor is the cause of this error? Is there another airbag sensor that needs to be checked, that could be easier to access?
In the past I have already replaced the drivers seatbelt latch, and cleared that different code, and I have checked the wire connectors under the drivers seat.

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
Think about this for a minute...........SIDE AIR BAG Why would a sensor be in the bumper for a side impact. I believe what you are looking for is the sensor that is located under the carpet at the outside of the driver seat, between the seat and door jamb.They are not easily to get to. You have the main air bag controller mounted to the right of the fuel pedal and a left and right sensor in the location I described earlier. You also have sensors in the seatbelt retractors.

Sincerely,
dweisel

Last edited:

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
Thanks.

Asking, since in my search, I have not found any pictures or directions pertaining to that sensor in a Beetle. There were some references for Jettas and Golfs.

So to get to this, remove the drivers seat, probably remove the door threshold plate and pull up the carpet?
Or is it behind the rear interior panel?

What would the part number be for this sensor?

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks.

Asking, since in my search, I have not found any pictures or directions pertaining to that sensor in a Beetle. There were some references for Jettas and Golfs.

So to get to this, remove the drivers seat, probably remove the door threshold plate and pull up the carpet?
Or is it behind the rear interior panel?

What would the part number be for this sensor?
I'm starting an 02 Beetle part out right now. I can take some pics and let you know exactly what parts have to off. Yes,seat has to come out and probably the threshold and maybe some other parts. Should be able to let you know by late this evening.

IIRC, it's mounted to the floor with a bracket.

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
Thanks again,

The offer of the pictures is appreciated.

Better deal than taking the entire front end off the car.

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks again,
The offer of the pictures is appreciated.
Better deal than taking the entire front end off the car.
Well............not a cake walk either.
1) remove the driver side seat rail trim and seat.
2) pry up on the door jamb trim. You don't have to take the front loose.
3) remove the dead pedal.
4)fold the carpet back far enough to gain access to either the 6-13mm bolts that the air bag sensor is bolted to or maybe the 2-5mm Allen bolts.
imag
The yellow connector simply prys off after you push down on the black release clip.

You'll also have to move the carpet pad enough to give you some room. Don't go to crazy as it can tear easily.

Last edited:

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Yup, I was just about to mention where those sensors are located.

IMHO, it might be worth it to pull the carpet out completely and clean it. It will take more time, but then you won't be fighting it to access the back bolts. That does mean the center console has to come out though.

-J

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yup, I was just about to mention where those sensors are located.

IMHO, it might be worth it to pull the carpet out completely and clean it. It will take more time, but then you won't be fighting it to access the back bolts. That does mean the center console has to come out though.

-J
Just depends what you want to get into. Completely removing the carpet is a pretty big job. When I do an extra good cleaning job on the carpet I just remove the seats. Too much trim to mess with to take the carpet tub clear out.

NOTE: if you can get to the 2-5mm Allen head bolts you don't have to remove the 6-13mm bolts and remove the black mounting piece.

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
Dweisel, thanks again for the description and picture, and the part numbers (sent separately).

It looks like the sensor part number(s) are

6Q0972623A
or
3B0972623K
or
3B0972623J

Are there 2 or 3 of these sensors in the floor, or based on the photo you provided, there is one and it is located to the left of the front of the seat where the two nuts hold the front of the seat to the floor?

All this really helps.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
The sensor is attached to a bracket, which is bolted to the floor and the sill.

Like this:
__
__|\..
__|_\__

The sensor is the ..

EDIT: dweisel posted a picture above... much better than my text drawing :)
-J

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Dweisel, thanks again for the description and picture, and the part numbers (sent separately).

It looks like the sensor part number(s) are

6Q0972623A
or
3B0972623K
or
3B0972623J

Are there 2 or 3 of these sensors in the floor, or based on the photo you provided, there is one and it is located to the left of the front of the seat where the two nuts hold the front of the seat to the floor?

All this really helps.
There is one sensor located on the outward side of the driver side seat and one sensor located on the outward side of the passenger seat. You're only concerned with the one sensor at the driver side. Yes it's bolted to a black metal shield that is bolted to the raised body area towards the front of the seat IF the seat is fully rearward.

The numbers on this sensor are 5WK 42895 and under that is 600 909 606.

Then there is a couple numbers on a white paper label 02310D4FMS57 and 2401601

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
Well............not a cake walk either.
1) remove the driver side seat rail trim and seat.
2) pry up on the door jamb trim. You don't have to take the front loose.
3) remove the dead pedal.
4)fold the carpet back far enough to gain access to either the 6-13mm bolts that the air bag sensor is bolted to or maybe the 2-5mm Allen bolts.
The yellow connector simply prys off after you push down on the black release clip.
You'll also have to move the carpet pad enough to give you some room. Don't go to crazy as it can tear easily.
So, how long did it take to get to the sensor? Other than a 13mm to remove the seat, a Philips screwdriver, and the 5mm Allen bolts, any other tools needed?

joep1234

Veteran Member
TDI
former '04 Beetle TDI, now 2x '15 Audi Q5 TDI's, 2007 Dodge Ram 4x4 6.7
Have you cleared the code to see if will stay off. My Beetle has a crash sensor in the front that every time I hit a wet pot hole it sets of the light. Let it dry out a couple days, reset it and it is off for the next 3 to 6 months. Also check with VW to see it is still covered. My wife has a '03 convertible that 2 years ago I took it in for the light and they replaced the sensor under a silent recall. Tried on my '04 Beetle and got nowhere.

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So, how long did it take to get to the sensor? Other than a 13mm to remove the seat, a Philips screwdriver, and the 5mm Allen bolts, any other tools needed?
Me? 20minutes. Once you get in there see if you can unplug the electrical connection and plug back in. Clear the code and see what you have.

Also just remove the 2-5mm Allen head bolts and you don't have to removed the 6-13mm bolts.

Those are all the tools needed other than a torx if you remove the dead pedal.

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
Concerning the light, yes, I cleared the Airbag fault code, and it does not go away. Also disconnected the battery, and pressed the brake pedal to drain the controllers, no luck, resetting after that (also).

I will check the sensor, disconnecting the plug, reconnect, and then see if the code will clear. If that does not work, I can contact a dealer to see about the silent recall. I looked on the VW site, and the VIN shows no open recalls.

FYI the part number that parts manager used to look up the part is 6Q0909606,
it looks like the complete part number within VWs system is 6Q0909606K00E

Last edited:

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
OK, so I got to the sensor. It really was not that bad pulling up the carpet, good that it was not glued or the padding underneath was not glued.

Checked the connector, disconnected, reconnected, reset the airbag fault codes, with no change in the airbag light. So, I am looking into ordering the part, at about $200 I hope replacing the part does fix the problem.

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
OK, so I got to the sensor. It really was not that bad pulling up the carpet, good that it was not glued or the padding underneath was not glued.

Checked the connector, disconnected, reconnected, reset the airbag fault codes, with no change in the airbag light. So, I am looking into ordering the part, at about $200 I hope replacing the part does fix the problem.
If you want. I have a used one. Pay the shipping and if it works. Send me $50.00 via PayPal. If it doesn't work, you're only out the shipping.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
I'd have no qualms installing a used SRS part from a non-crashed car. In some ways, I'd prefer it to a new part!

-J

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
Installed the "used" sensor, and was able to get the airbag light out.

I put "used" in quotes, since the sensor will work or not work. Obviously the current sensor in the car is defective, the airbag light was lit, and the VCDS
showed the error as such. Installing a used SRS part, and the cars controller was able to determine that the sensor was good, and allowed the airbag light
to be reset, shows that SRS has a check to test all the sensors, and if a sensor is bad, to indicate. Hence, my confidence that the SRS system is properly working.

When the SRS determines another or the same sensor is defective, then that sensor will get replaced.

spartanmanor

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Beetle TDI
Does anyone have a photo of the location of the sensor? I got as far as taking my drivers seat out of my 2003 Beetle and removing the door jamb trim but could not get a feel for were the sensor would be and did not feel like ripping out all the carpet.

I am getting a 01221 (G179) code and have cleaned all the contacts that I can find with no luck of clearing the code but have yet to get to the sensor.

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Does anyone have a photo of the location of the sensor? I got as far as taking my drivers seat out of my 2003 Beetle and removing the door jamb trim but could not get a feel for were the sensor would be and did not feel like ripping out all the carpet.

I am getting a 01221 (G179) code and have cleaned all the contacts that I can find with no luck of clearing the code but have yet to get to the sensor.
You don't have to rip out the carpet. Just lift it up enough to remove the bolts on the metal cover that's over the sensor.