Any way to get a BRM to lope?

Drunkaroos

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI (300K!)
Looking to have a loping idle on my 1.9tdi BRM jetta. Already have a muffler delete, going to go full turbo-back straight pipe and have a egr delete kit on the way. Is there any tuners that can do this, or is there some sort of trick like with the Evry mod?

Serious replies please.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
A surging idle isn't going to convince many people that a 100 hp, front drive economy car is a force to be reckoned with :) . But a tuner could probably supply a lumpy idle.

Drunkaroos

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI (300K!)
A surging idle isn't going to convince many people that a 100 hp, front drive economy car is a force to be reckoned with :) . But a tuner could probably supply a lumpy idle.
Thanks. I'm not trying to impress people with a diesel jetta (lol) but I have supporting mods planned in the future like a pd140 turbo, colt cam, upgraded clutch/flywheel, etc. I am a fan of the whole diesel lope since my Uncle has a '92 cummins ram that I help him work on and he has it lope tuned. :D

h4vok

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi 5sp 171k
The only way I see it working is with a tuner making a file for you that does it some how. You are not going to want to do any physical mods to achieve this as you will loose power or reliability. I have never heard a TDI lope except on a really cold start or on a broken one. They are very smooth for diesel engines.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Looking to have a loping idle on my 1.9tdi BRM jetta. Already have a muffler delete, going to go full turbo-back straight pipe and have a egr delete kit on the way. Is there any tuners that can do this, or is there some sort of trick like with the Evry mod?
Serious replies please.
Your goal is just seriously hilarious.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I am a fan of the whole diesel lope since my Uncle has a '92 cummins ram that I help him work on and he has it lope tuned.
no, that's just a hunting governor
meaning it's poorly adjusted

It just makes lugging around parking lots harder than it needs to be...
It's not even like on a gas motor with a mean cam where it used to imply performance, on a diesel it just means your junk's on the edge of running away or stalling.

ETA: put an old wiper motor under the dash to rhythmically tap the go pedal
stupid solution to a stupid 'problem'

Last edited:

Drunkaroos

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI (300K!)
Well, uhhh.... thanks for the help. Not.:mad:
At least I got one helpful reply, not sure what all your guys' problems are. To each their own, especially in cars.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Well, uhhh.... thanks for the help. Not.:mad:
At least I got one helpful reply, not sure what all your guys' problems are. To each their own, especially in cars.
We do not have any problems, we just want our cars to run properly is all. Your request ranks right up (or down?) there with wanting to saw a hole in your hood and put a stack in.

Sorry, these are Volkswagens, not brodozers. :cool: At least you provided some humor, thank you for that.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Your request ranks right up (or down?) there with wanting to saw a hole in your hood and put a stack in.
Hey, at least that sometimes has compelling reasons to do it. Mine's either going out there, or above the lf wheelwell, just from a total lack of room to run it out the back.

This... Not so much.

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
A lumpy tune would do it.|
My advice is not to. Honest opinion: It's not the right engine to do this with and the more experienced guys here will take this as a childish and stupid question. Especially with how you phrased it, Dunkaroos. Even a heavilly built motor will try to idle smooth and even. There MAY be one that's created to run a 1/4 or 1/8th mile drag race thats gotta get rebuilt every 3-4 miles that makes the broop-broop-broop-broop noise at idle, but that's a high dollar motor that 99.9% of us will not see or work with. Stick to a lumpy cam in an LS powered vehicle to get the noises. These are not the motors for that. A lot of the guys in here are experienced mechanics, enthusiasts, some are purists and almost all of them want the motor to run as smooth as possible instead of sounding like a bag of hammers falling down the stairs. You should have been expecting to wear a nasa grade flame suit with that post. And before you ask, no you cant get that grumbly angry turbo noise out of it. That's a gasser thing. These guys won't help you roll coal, because a truck does it and it looks cool and it's funny in that youtube video. Sorry, this place is more serious than most automotive forums. It's not the demographic. You might not like my response either, but it is what it is, man.

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 6 Speed manual
Nothing to add except that's the most ridiculous thing I heard on TDI board in a seriously long time. :)