05 triptronic diagnosis

ibalcom

TDI
2000 Jetta, 2011 Sportwagen
Does anyone have suggestions on how to diagnose a non-functional tiptronic switch? Where is the switch located? on the trans? Perhaps the previous owner spilled into the shift column (new car to us)?

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Ahhh, OK, the 09A 5-speed Jatco unit.

The gear selector switch is on the transmission case itself, on top.

Volkswagen calls it a multifunction switch, part number 09B-919-821 and in some cases they get tooefed from an ill-maintained battery that barfs gasses all over that side of the engine bay.

Last edited:

kcs19325

TDI
2005 VW Jetta
Same issue different TDI...

Any idea about the same problem with a 2005 Jetta GLS TDI sedan? I know it is throwing a code for the switch and the "manual mode" doesn't do a darn thing. No idea if I'm dealing with a spill or lost magnet. Part numbers and any posts with tips, pointers, or basic instructions for the mechanically inclined would be greatly appreciated. I'm just hoping I don't have to buy the whole assembly for $800 or so.

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
I've fixed a couple passants that had the magnets fall out of the shifter. I've never seen this problem on a jetta but I would assume it has magnets also. Get out your bentley and look at a wiring schematic and if necessary take apart the shifter to see.

Last edited:

ibalcom

TDI
The Triptronic switch is in the shifter housing. If the multifunction switch were bad, there would be no shifting in auto-mode, no?

older version slider magnets:

Last edited:

ibalcom

TDI
I've got at fault code of:
01045-Triptronic Switch F189
27-00- implausible signal

this points to the magnets, no?
anyone dealt with this?

ibalcom

TDI
The switch (1J0 919 067 D) appears to be on the printed circuit board under the selector.
see pdf:

If I understand the mechanism correctly, the magnets (they're imbedded in the accordion-style sliding cover) pass by hall-effect transistors to trigger shifting. There's no way for anything to physically wear out (well, the magnets in early models tended to disintegrate over time, but the new-style cover assy seems to have alleviated that problem), so I can't imagine what the failure mode would be - the HET's go bad?

Last edited:

ibalcom

TDI
the 05 part (as per the dealer) is 1JO 990 067E - $183.60

Any idea about the same problem with a 2005 Jetta GLS TDI sedan? I know it is throwing a code for the switch and the "manual mode" doesn't do a darn thing. No idea if I'm dealing with a spill or lost magnet. Part numbers and any posts with tips, pointers, or basic instructions for the mechanically inclined would be greatly appreciated. I'm just hoping I don't have to buy the whole assembly for $800 or so.