Is DIY strut and shock replacement really that easy ??

pricha00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS TDI
Had my TDI for a few years now and its approching 300KM.. I am debating on whether to try and tackle some suspension work myself to save the labor charges. When I search the forums I see quite a few suggested unique tools like a spreader and special socket for the strut nut. I do have an impact and a fairly good complement of sockets but no spring compressor. Do I jump in and give this a try or just bite the bullet and let the pros take care of it for me? Any suggestions for daily highway driver, I was looking at Bilstein kit at Bora Parts along with the kit with the mounts, bearings, bump stop, and some LCA bushings.

Pat.

2000BlueJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
Strut nut can be done with a spark plug wrench I believe, I used a cold chisel to spread the knuckle, but spring compressors are a must to remove your old springs and build the new ones. Some say you have to compress the springs in order to remove the whole unit but I didnt have to. Took me a few hours to do it but that also included machining some strut spacers for the front. Hope this helps!

Joester

Vendor
TDI
2002 Golf TDI
Its pretty easy besides the front passenger side strut. That one sucks to get out. you have to somehow get a spring compressor up in there or lower the subframe or something.

I personally find it easiest to just take the axle out of the hub and remove the 3 ball joint bolts so that you can flap the hub outwards and get the strut out of its seat with ease, but that's just my method.

Its not a hard job, just a frustrating one.

I'd give it maybe a 4/10 on the difficulty scale and a 6/10 on the irritating scale.

pricha00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS TDI
I am pretty sure I can borrow the spring compressor from one of our local parts sellers. I like a challenge but don't want my car stuck on jackstands and in peices to discover I will need a pro to complete the job.

1.9glstdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat waggon BHW PD
Dont need no stinkin spring compressors and dont drop the sub frame 1 time use bolts.

cfa5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon 5sp
spring compressors at princess auto are like 10bucks, you can make your own spreader tool from a 8mm hex socket(using a grinder). right side is easy when you unbolt the inner cv(hang it up).
goodluck

1.9glstdi

Veteran Member
TDI
I am sorry to take the current struts ou you dont need a spring compressor t. I upgraded to vr6 springs I threw away my old struts. You can also buy fully assembled struts and springs for $100 so technically you don't need compressors.
rock auto
2005 VOLKSWAGEN JETTA 1.9L L4 DIESEL Turbocharged SOHC : Suspension : Strut / Coil Spring / Mount Assembly part numbers 1336306 $68 , 171525 $98,7171525 $102 fullyn assembled with spring already just swap them out. If you want a sportier ride you can get the vr6 model.

Last edited:

Golfrunner

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf TDI
I "refreshed" my suspension when my Golf hit 200 k (miles). I have found the Bilstein TC's a fine compromise... good handling and still comfortable. I would replace the control arm bushings and stabilizer bushings while you are in there - I bet they are worn and sloppy by now.

pricha00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS TDI
I am sorry to take the current struts ou you dont need a spring compressor t. I upgraded to vr6 springs I threw away my old struts. You can also buy fully assembled struts and springs for $100 so technically you don't need compressors.
rock auto
2005 VOLKSWAGEN JETTA 1.9L L4 DIESEL Turbocharged SOHC : Suspension : Strut / Coil Spring / Mount Assembly part numbers 1336306 $68 , 171525 $98,7171525 $102 fullyn assembled with spring already just swap them out. If you want a sportier ride you can get the vr6 model.
I have ordered some parts from Rock Auto but I wonder what the quality is vs something from Bilstein or other aftermarket suspension peices.

Pat.

pricha00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS TDI
Cross border shopping never an issue for me ... 10 minutes from US border at 3 bridges. Just have packages sent to CBI in Niagara Falls NY and pick them up. I will always shop local until the savings just become too good to pass up or the item is not available here.

Pat.

puntmeister

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta BEW
Just this past weekend, I did this job - replaced struts, and LCA rear bushings.

If you are replacing the LCA bushings, you need to take the LCA off the car, which makes removal of the struts easy.

To be honest, replacing the struts was the easy part (with the exception of spreading the strut cup - I ended up using a 3/8" to 1/4" socket adapter).

The much harder part is getting the LCA off and back on. The rear bushing is squeezed in there pretty tight, and its a fight to get them back on, if you leave the ball-joints on (by removing the 3 13mm screws).

Mawcus

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI BEW PD 5 Speed
I recently did a full suspension refresh recently. It was a little challenging. I bought the Metalnerd Part MN2122 - Specialty Double 21 & 22 mm Strut Nut Sockets and the Part MN3424 - Strut Spreader Bit...www.metalnerd.com which a lot of people here recommended to make the job easier and it definitely helped. I also had a friend help me with a spring compressor to get the new springs on the new struts. I was able to get the struts out with out the compressor but its a must to install new springs. I replaced everything...shocks, struts, strut mount bearing, springs, ball joints, tie rod ends, lower control arm bushings, and sway bar bushings...so it was a lot easier to get take everything apart and then put it all back together. The passenger side strut was a bit of a bear to get out and back in but since I took everything out it made it a little bit easier to but it all back together. Its definitely a pretty straightforward DIY project but it was a little daunting when all I had in my wheel well was the cv axle and everything else was gone! But it all went back together with not much of a problem. Removing the tie rod ends and the ball joint seemed impossible because at first the just would budge but after soaking them overnite in pb blaster and tapping/pounding on them both the next day the popped loose. There's lots of info here on how to do it successfully...Good luck...its a pretty awesome difference after its all done and you have a brand new tight suspension...also go with the audi tt bushings if you are doing the lower control arms and you'll have a better than factory suspension. Bilstiens or better are nice too.

1.9glstdi

Veteran Member
TDI
The best way to get the LCA bushings out is an air chisel 5 seconds max to get them out of there home. A vise or press is the best for putting the TT LCA in place.

I have use rock auto for different things nothing to complain about so far so it is completely up to you if you feel comfy with spring compressors I used my buddies shop the vr6 springs are much heaver than the stock shrimps lol

Deadend

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
I've done the rear bushings twice now with a threaded rod and blocks of 2 x 4 with holes cut in them in order to put the pressure on the outer lip. I'd think the LCA bushings would be the same?

Ironray

TDI
2005 Jetta TDI GLS 1.9L
rock auto
Mind telling us how you do it? I just spent six hours doing the drivers side. Went to put the new quick strut in and it took me hours to get it into the cup. I had a chisel in the gap spreading it wide open and still the strut never made it to the bottom.

Terrified of doing the passenger side.

puntmeister

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta BEW
I have changed the struts on both sides - I really don't see a reasonable way of removing/installing without spring compressors - other than removing the LCA (which is way more effort than necessary, unless you are changing the bushings).

Its really worth picking up the spring compressors - most auto parts stores offer them as free rentals. Otherwise, Harbor Freight sells a cheap set.

There may be ways to get around the compressors, but why bother? The spring compressors make the job much easier.

puntmeister

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta BEW
Oh - just reread - as per the issue with getting the strut all the way into the cup: either spend the cash on the spreader tool (about $18 shipped), grind down an allen bit (other threads mention the correct size), or, what I did: use a 3/8" to 1/4" ratchet adapter.

Put the 1/4" bit into the gap, turn the ratchet 45 degrees - presto, you have a good enough spread to get the strut all the way in, and a ruined adapter.....

RockRockRock

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW M6
AXEL NUTZ
I didn't see it mentioned here, but you get a lot more room to line everything back up if you take off the axle nut. It too is one time use. There is a funny procedure to re-torque this nut that I do not recall.

TOP NUTZ
You need to get creative to button down the top nuts without special tools. A special tool exists to hold the piston rod with an allen key while torquing the top nuts. It's tight around the strut tower clearance-wise so an impact socket wont fit. Torque for the 4 top nuts is 44 ft-lbs. I just used a deep well socket and my baby impact that doesn't put out more than 60. These too are single use, but I don't see why.

SPREADER SHENANIGINZ
I didn't need a spreader, or have any problem seating the bottoms of the shocks. To remove them I used PB blaster and a 1 foot prybar and hammer to break the seal. To reinstall, I greased the bottoms, lined them up, and jacked the car under the control arm and they popped into their place. Your mileage may vary.

jhmk4r

TDI
2000 Jetta
I also refreshed all my suspension, and replaced lower control arm bushings with the solid Audi TT bushings. It only cost $20 aside to rebuild them yourself but what a difference in the handling. I didn't use a spring compressor, both my front springs were broken ( common)and I replaced them with H&R lowering springs, but yes the entire job is a bit awkward but I've done worse. Be careful with the front bolt on the control arm, if the nut inside subframe spins, now your having fun! You'll be cutting a hole in the frame!

Oh yeah strut in the cup, jack, large hammer, crown rust control(lube) and patience...just undo the three bolts from the LCA and the axle nut.

Last edited:

subber598

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon TDI, 2013 Passat SE, 2011 Jetta SEL
Top nut, spreader, and axle nut

AXEL NUTZ
I didn't see it mentioned here, but you get a lot more room to line everything back up if you take off the axle nut. It too is one time use. There is a funny procedure to re-torque this nut that I do not recall.
TOP NUTZ
You need to get creative to button down the top nuts without special tools. A special tool exists to hold the piston rod with an allen key while torquing the top nuts. It's tight around the strut tower clearance-wise so an impact socket wont fit. Torque for the 4 top nuts is 44 ft-lbs. I just used a deep well socket and my baby impact that doesn't put out more than 60. These too are single use, but I don't see why.
SPREADER SHENANIGINZ
I didn't need a spreader, or have any problem seating the bottoms of the shocks. To remove them I used PB blaster and a 1 foot prybar and hammer to break the seal. To reinstall, I greased the bottoms, lined them up, and jacked the car under the control arm and they popped into their place. Your mileage may vary.
Depends on which axle nut you have: The 27mm hex head needs 200Nm, lower the car on it's wheels, and turn it an additional 180deg; same if you have the 24mm 12pt head 'with washer'. The 12pt head 'without washer' but a serrated shoulder face needs 70Nm plus 90deg. Used a 7mm allen wrench and a pass-thru socket for the strut stem nut. None of my research showed anyone actually using a torque wrench on that nut-most used an impact wrench. I made my own spreader tool as someone mentioned on here; worked slicker than elephant dung. There's a good pic of one on 'partsgeek.com'

leafs

Veteran Member
TDI
alh
From what I remember I think I disconnected the 3 13mm bolts that hold on the balljoint to the LCA and swung out the entire assembly a bit and then knocked off the knuckle. Didn't even use a spreader, I think I used a small pry bar and lube spray. The passenger side knuckle was a real pain in the ass to remove and install but I think I have some sort of issue on that side... the alignment folks said I have toe in... so bent knuckle, LCA, maybe even subframe.

edit: if you don't want to remove the ball joint from the LCA and not have to get an alignment you can use some spray paint.

Last edited: