TDIClub Forums

TDIClub Forums (http://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php)
-   VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas (http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=68)
-   -   engine light- throttle plate closed/stuck (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=247671)

Strack May 17th, 2009 20:27

engine light- throttle plate closed/stuck

Does anyone have a pic of the throttle plate area in a 06 Jetta (5 speed)?

My engine light keeps coming on and off again, and Auto Zone scanned the code, but i'm tring to find the correct part and location under the hood. If it's an electrical connecion thats come loose, that would be a simple fix, but i'm not exactly certain of the location of the throttle plate.

If anyone who can point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it very much! Thanks!

40X40 May 17th, 2009 20:31

And the code they scanned was.......?

Bill

Mach1 May 18th, 2009 01:52

The ASV valve is on the backside of the VC on the passenger side of the car..It has the IC pipe pugged into it. you undo the IC rear most connection and you look into the ASV towards the EGR and you will see the 'flapper'. The electrical connection is underneath by the timing cover, underneath the same IC hose...you can reach it from underneath..Again remove the IC pipe and its easy to get to..

mtbr297 May 18th, 2009 02:13

I had a 06 car 165k miles, recently with a asv fault. Found that the valve was sticking open and had a spot binding sometimes about 3/4 of closing.

Strack May 18th, 2009 13:22

Thanks for the info, but what does ASV and VC & IC stand for?

The codes from Auto Zone as follows:

881, open or short circuit condition.
882. pool electrical connection.
883. Throttle body stuck closed/binding
884. Throttle body fault

If anyone has a pic to the TDI engine's throttle plate area, please let me know.

Thanks again for everyones input.

icecap May 18th, 2009 17:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strack
Thanks for the info, but what does ASV and VC & IC stand for?

The codes from Auto Zone as follows:

881, open or short circuit condition.
882. pool electrical connection.
883. Throttle body stuck closed/binding
884. Throttle body fault

If anyone has a pic to the TDI engine's throttle plate area, please let me know.

Thanks again for everyones input.

ASV Anti shudder valve
VC Valve Cover
IC Inter Cooler

mdfirefighter May 18th, 2009 21:28

Sounds like when they put the codes in the computer they didn't use a TDI they used a gasser. There is no throttle plate in a diesel. What the others have said is true. The Anti-Shutter Valve is probably going. I'll try and find a picture for you.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...9/DSC01394.jpg

Strack May 18th, 2009 21:42

Thanks for the clarification and taking the time to take a pic, it's greatly appreciated. I'll go back and have the car scanned again, reminding them that it's a diesel and it has no throttle plate. if you can find apic of the ASV, that would be great!

mdfirefighter May 18th, 2009 21:51

The ASV is in the pic on the right hand side. The upper IC pipe is on the left (disconnected from the ASV). Out of the picture to the right is the EGR valve where the ASV connects to. Here is another looking into the ASV.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...9/DSC01397.jpg

Mach1 May 19th, 2009 00:53

The ASV is used as a throttle plate under certain conditions to throttle EGR to the engine..

Fords 6L and 6.4 and the 2l CRD use a throttle plate to change the velocity of the intake charge through the intake..most emission diesel engines use a throttle plate to change the intake air velocity..

The 2L has a intake throttle plate for each cylinder in the intake manifold..(4 plates).

Strack May 19th, 2009 13:55

I had the car scanned again today. The code that was detected was P2112. If it is the ASV, can it be cleaned, repaired or must it be replaced? Thanks again for the pics and help!

mdfirefighter May 19th, 2009 20:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mach1
The ASV is used as a throttle plate under certain conditions to throttle EGR to the engine..

Oh, ok, I thought the EGR valve was independent on these engines, my mistake.

Mach1 May 20th, 2009 00:33

I say throttle the EGR, it does this by closing the ASV flapper which in turn pulls more flow from the egr valve..This is only done under certain conditions...

mdfirefighter May 20th, 2009 07:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mach1
I say throttle the EGR, it does this by closing the ASV flapper which in turn pulls more flow from the egr valve..This is only done under certain conditions...

Very interesting, I had no idea the anti-shutter valve was used in that fashion.

oilhammer May 20th, 2009 08:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdfirefighter
... There is no throttle plate in a diesel. What the others have said is true.

Argh, why do people keep saying that? Many diesels, including VAG PDs, use a throttle plate. :rolleyes:

It is more for EGR flow control than anything, but rest assured it most certainly IS a throttle plate, and that is what it is commonly called. It's technical name is intake manifold control flap, or regulating flap.

FWIW, my 240D, which has no EGR at all, also has a throttle plate connected mechanically straight to the accelerator pedal. ;)