Frequent regens

Uimytdi

TDI
Mkv jetta
It's been happening more than normal. I have been driving the same route since I got the car and it almost never would be in the middle of a regen when I turned it off.(fan staying on) but over the past few tanks I've noticed it happening almost every time I stop. It's happened 3 times this tank of gas and I still have about a 1/4 left.

Any idea what's happening? Is my dpf just becoming clogged? I try to redline it often enough to heat everything up in an attempt to prevent this.

Car has 80k miles on it.

FowVay

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta returned to der Führer
I thought my car was doing very frequent regenerative burns but after watching the tachometer every time I realized that the fans were running but I wasn't getting any RPM increase. I figured that it was just my cooling fans running to cool the engine.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
You really need a ScanGauge or UltraGauge or whatever to VERIFY what is really happening.

If you keep interrupting the regens, it will keep trying to do it until it completes one. Stop interrupting them.

socrates42

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI pkg 1
I think mine is doing it too. What is the code for Regen? I have a bluetooth OBDII Tool that I can use.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Your what is doing it, too? The 2006 listed in your profile does not do regens.

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi Q5 TDI, 2016 BMW 535d Xdrive
Regens should occur every 400-600 miles. I imagine driving conditions will affect this. As stated above, if you interrupt a regen, another will occur until it is complete. BTW, I don't think that you can conclude that every time the fan runs after turning the car off that it was in the middle of a regen, according to the service manager I deal with. If anyone knows differently, let us know.

cd_booth

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
There have been occasions where I didn't notice a higher than usual idle and the fans running after shut down. This would indicate that it wasn't in the middle of a regen.

bombero

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Why does the Passat use the fluid for this when it is the same engine? Not sure which system I would rather have though...

VeeDubTDI

TDI
The AdBlue exhaust fluid isn't used for regens, per se - it is injected all the time to control NOx emissions. By having the exhaust fluid, the emissions system is significantly less complicated and allows for better fuel efficiency. This is why the Passat, despite its larger size, is capable of getting better fuel economy than Golfs and Jettas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_exhaust_fluid