TDIClub Forums

TDIClub Forums (http://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php)
-   Future TDIFests (http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   TDIFest 2017 location discussion (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=451703)

VeeDubTDI November 15th, 2015 08:42

TDIFest 2017 location discussion
 
Here is a thread for people to discuss possible locations for the 2017 TDIFest.

What is required to host a Fest?
  • Hotel with affordable room rates (sub $150/night)
  • Group activity space (usually a hotel with a conference center)
  • Event ideas (auto-cross, drag racing, group scenic drive, etc.)
  • Food ideas (people need to eat)
  • Reasonable weather for the time of year (historically Labor Day Weekend, but that isn't set in stone)
  • A local (100 mile radius?) group of people (recommend 3 to 6 dedicated individuals) who can see the process from inception to execution

If you are in an area of the country that you feel is conducive to a TDIFest and you have the time and energy to put into planning a national event for several hundred people, please post here.

TDIClub has several TDIFest "regulars" who are willing to assist with administrative duties, budgeting, registration, and general oversight. What we're really looking for is local people who want to bring this event to their home town.

Please do not use this as a casual location suggestion area. Things like "have you considered having a Fest in ______ location?" and "______ location would really be swell" are not productive if you aren't willing to do the work to make it happen.

With all of that said, let's get the planning for 2017 started! The sooner we get started, the more options we have at our disposal. :cool:

deegingerkid March 11th, 2016 16:37

You know, I've been saying for awhile that I'd like to help organize a Tahoe fest. I think 2017 may be a good time in which to do so. I'll be there for a week this summer and will have plenty of time to price things out and speak with/scope out hotels in person. Any tips on reaching out via e-mail in advance?

VeeDub, we can exchange e-mails if you wanna discuss this further. I am serious about having another West Coast fest. 7 years is a big gap.

Lug_Nut March 11th, 2016 17:12

Deeginger.., look up members John.Jackson92something-or-other, and Romad as they had posted in another thread about the so-Cal to Tahoe area for a fest.
Hey, if I can help collect a critical mass for a fest near Bentley Biofuels in Minden, NV, I'll do that much.

deegingerkid March 11th, 2016 17:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lug_Nut (Post 5026054)
Deeginger.., look up members John.Jackson92something-or-other, and Romad as they had posted in another thread about the so-Cal to Tahoe area for a fest.
Hey, if I can help collect a critical mass for a fest near Bentley Biofuels in Minden, NV, I'll do that much.


John lives in San Diego, and Dennis (Romad) is in Oroville. I'm by far the closest to Tahoe. I'm sure they'd help me, but as far as boots on the ground in the area, I'm it...and happy to do it. After looking at few of the ski resorts just in the past few hours, I'm WAY motivated. We'll see how this fleshes out.

john.jackson9213 March 11th, 2016 19:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by deegingerkid (Post 5026085)
John lives in San Diego, and Dennis (Romad) is in Oroville. I'm by far the closest to Tahoe. I'm sure they'd help me, but as far as boots on the ground in the area, I'm it...and happy to do it. After looking at few of the ski resorts just in the past few hours, I'm WAY motivated. We'll see how this fleshes out.

Check for a Reno/Tahoe convention authority. They have done all this many times over. They can guide you to car friendly properties. The San Diego convention authority was able to line up 3 suitable properties very quickly and the pricing was also reasonable, when I was looking at doing it in San Diego.

Reno/Tahoe is an incredible area.

VeeDubTDI March 12th, 2016 05:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by deegingerkid (Post 5026023)
You know, I've been saying for awhile that I'd like to help organize a Tahoe fest. I think 2017 may be a good time in which to do so. I'll be there for a week this summer and will have plenty of time to price things out and speak with/scope out hotels in person. Any tips on reaching out via e-mail in advance?

VeeDub, we can exchange e-mails if you wanna discuss this further. I am serious about having another West Coast fest. 7 years is a big gap.


I'm happy to provide whatever information and assistance I can. Give me a call, email, whatever. :)

deegingerkid March 12th, 2016 12:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by john.jackson9213 (Post 5026192)
Check for a Reno/Tahoe convention authority. They have done all this many times over. They can guide you to car friendly properties. The San Diego convention authority was able to line up 3 suitable properties very quickly and the pricing was also reasonable, when I was looking at doing it in San Diego.

Reno/Tahoe is an incredible area.


Good tip, John! I'll probably come to you for practical planning advice. I'll consider this a first piece. Thank you, friend. :) Lawson, I'll be in touch.

I'm excited to try to bring fest to Tahoe!!

cumminsfromthecold May 7th, 2016 11:07

Re. Tahoe Fest
 
Just posted this in the west coast GTG forum.

"Is there any interest in a GTG in Truckee? Our little airport almost certainly has a big empty hangar available for a weekend. I work there sometimes and don't think it would be too hard to arrange. Lotta travel for most Bay area folks, but in summer, it's sweet here. Just throwing it out there. These GTGs will soon be gone, like biodiesel, I fear."

Having never been to a fest, how many people can be expected? Truckee's small, but South Lake Tahoe could work. Rooms are more affordable, varied food choices, conference centers, scenic drives available for sure. Dunno about a race course nearby. S Lake is very different than North Lake Tahoe, so much so that I seldom go there. It's like Reno on the water, which is nice compared to actually being in Reno :D.

I could add a hand. You'd get a good Reno crowd.

OlyTDI May 7th, 2016 22:42

Reno, Truckee, Tahoe would make a great TDIFest locale.

VeeDubTDI May 8th, 2016 02:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by cumminsfromthecold (Post 5064339)
Just posted this in the west coast GTG forum.

"Is there any interest in a GTG in Truckee? Our little airport almost certainly has a big empty hangar available for a weekend. I work there sometimes and don't think it would be too hard to arrange. Lotta travel for most Bay area folks, but in summer, it's sweet here. Just throwing it out there. These GTGs will soon be gone, like biodiesel, I fear."

Having never been to a fest, how many people can be expected? Truckee's small, but South Lake Tahoe could work. Rooms are more affordable, varied food choices, conference centers, scenic drives available for sure. Dunno about a race course nearby. S Lake is very different than North Lake Tahoe, so much so that I seldom go there. It's like Reno on the water, which is nice compared to actually being in Reno :D.

I could add a hand. You'd get a good Reno crowd.

An airport hangar is an interesting idea. Fest has drawn anywhere from 125 people to just over 300 people.

john.jackson9213 May 8th, 2016 13:02

Hey, Truckee would be a great site. Banquet could be at Donner Memorial State Park?

For the non-history buffs: http://www.history.com/topics/donner-party

Seriously, wonderful place, very close to Reno and Lake Tahoe.

Lug_Nut May 9th, 2016 17:29

Banquet menu: Liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti

Nevada_TDI May 25th, 2016 12:13

Eeeeewww, liver. Yuk! :) I don't know how much help I could be, but I live less than 30 minutes from South Shore and have never been to a TDIFest. As far as Bentley Fuels goes they no longer have a retail site.

EDIT: I got confused, I thought this year was potentially Tahoe. Now that I am out of school, I am willing to help what can I do?

deegingerkid June 19th, 2016 18:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevada_TDI (Post 5073835)
Eeeeewww, liver. Yuk! :) I don't know how much help I could be, but I live less than 30 minutes from South Shore and have never been to a TDIFest. As far as Bentley Fuels goes they no longer have a retail site.

EDIT: I got confused, I thought this year was potentially Tahoe. Now that I am out of school, I am willing to help what can I do?

PM me pretty please. I'll be in Tahoe for a week in July and would love to meet up and at least exchange names/info/ideas. If you're a Tahoe local, color me interested in speaking with you.

5FDP July 6th, 2016 13:42

I vote Miami...and leave the kids at home.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:35.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright - TDIClub Online LTD - 2017

Page generated in 0.08766 seconds with 8 queries
[Output: 21.49 Kb. compressed to 20.58 Kb. by saving 0.91 Kb. (4.22%)]