Charleston to Chicago

morphinex

TDI
2012 Golf 6MT
Took about ten days off work to make the drive from Charleston to Chicago and back, with a few stops on the way. Although I didn't start the drive on Friday, I did start the vacation by seeing a great show at the Charleston Pour House: The Royal Tinfoil, Jonny Corndawg (weird guy), and Shovels & Rope. Because of how the crowd was, I couldn't get any good pictures, but here are the best ones I could get.

Here's Jonny Corndawg and the incredible Nashville fiddle player Josh Hedley:

Here's The Royal Tinfoil:

After a slow morning on Saturday, I headed out to Johnson City, Tennessee, to see Raleigh, NC's own American Aquarium. I was rushing and didn't have a ton of time for pictures, but did snap a few along I-26 in North Carolina north of Asheville. Love the way the Golf chews up the highway miles, and how easy it is to climb the mountains in this car:

I didn't know what to expect from Johnson City, but it was a happening little town, with lots of live music on Saturday night, and several different activities going on. The crowd was fun, if not extremely friendly, and each time I see American Aquarium, they get better. They didn't seem thrilled to be playing to such a small crowd (couldn't have been more than 100), but they took it in good humor and the small crowd was into it:

I don't think Walt, the lead guitar, was too thrilled that his side of the stage was directly against that wall. The venue was long and narrow with a very high, very cool tin ceiling.

On Sunday morning I headed out for Cincinnati, where I'm staying for a few days and visiting a friend in the hospital.

No pictures yet -- but I will update the thread. When I head up to Chicago on Thursday I hope to get some shots of the Golf in front of that huge wind farm along I-65 outside Chicago in Indiana.

Last edited:

jbright

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG
You should drive through that wind farm at night. There are turbines from horizon to horizon and each one has a red light on top and they all blink in unison. A strange sight.

morphinex

TDI
2012 Golf 6MT
Once I got off I-26 north of Johnson City, the drive down US-23, US-58, and US-25E to I-75 was scenic and very fun. The roads are mostly good and smooth, but they wind around, up, and down the mountains. I had a lot of fun in 4th gear twisting my way around at 65 mph.

My first full day in Cincinnati today. I visited Jungle Jims this evening - it is a huge, weird grocery store with a "jungle" theme. This thing is 300,000 square feet of food from all around the world.

Out front, Jim has a bunch of animal sculptures to set the mood. Here's the Golf:

You should drive through that wind farm at night. There are turbines from horizon to horizon and each one has a red light on top and they all blink in unison. A strange sight.
Yes, I've done the Cincinnati-Chicago drive several times, and I lived in Chicago for a couple years. I always find those lights blinking in unison to be hypnotizing and dangerous - I try to avoid it!

I'm working on the formatting and picture size from my first post - Firefox seems to work better than Chrome for posting.

Last edited: