TDI Buybacks: what happened if you imported a car from the US?

walgrove

TDI
2011 touareg
Hi new to the forum and wondered if anybody knows whether vehicles bought in the USA and brought into Canada were excluded from either the 2.0 or 3.0 buybacks.can't imagine they would be .

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
The U.S. requires all imported cars 25 years old or less to meet ALL U.S standards for that model year.

An exception for manufactures test cars is allowed, but the cars must be destroyed or reexported with in 2 (I think) years.

Canada has a similar requirement for all cars 15 years old or less.

The cost to "federalize" these gray market cars is considerable. In the case of certain Land Rover vehicles, a few people have tried faking the car's age to get around this requirement. The cars were seized, then destroyed. The importers faced federal criminal charges and time at Club Fed. And no choice on their room mate!

I do not know what the requirements are for importing a non compliant car to Mexico are, BUT the tax burden would be very significant. Living in San Diego, I had considered registering a non compliant car in Tijuana, Mexico. But the tax I would have had to pay was a problem. Driving a car with Baja plates in SoCal is not a problem.

walgrove

TDI
2011 touareg
actually what I meant by my question is if you bought one of the eligible cars like 3liter in usa and brought it into canada, does the current /new settlement force you to be a us citizen to be eligible for the buyback? or as long as the car was eligible you can still return it to a US dealer regardless of where you live now?