TDIClub Forums

TDIClub Forums (http://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php)
-   TDI 101 (http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Are these batteries reliable? (Costco) (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=495768)

ymz January 16th, 2019 11:52

Are these batteries reliable? (Costco)

I've had to exchange a few batteries (H7) at Costco lately... the most recent ones display unusual behavior on my charger, and I was wondering if they're making them differently or whether these are defective. Normally, my charger (Motomaster 75/12/2 A unit) starts with the meter on a lower percentage and slowly works its way to the green, whereupon the "full charge" light comes on and stays on.... on the newer batteries, it then jumps back down to a partial charge reading, and works its way to full, and repeats ad nauseam... if I go to the 12 A charge setting, it just goes wild...

Are these newer batteries sulfated? I don't want to go back and exchange once again... (BTW: one of these newer batteries had trouble starting one of our cars at minus 10, whereas the older battery had no problem at minus 20...

Thanks,

Yuri

STDOUBT January 16th, 2019 19:50

Are these newer batteries sulfated?
I don't see any batteries. Is it costco-branded? Apologies if my browser can't see your image. Maybe ask costco who really makes them?

At least a few big threads here re: batteries. But i for one haven't used a "costco" battery.

I like the Bosch S5, and will soon probably get the '01 an Interstate...or another Bosch S5 since I have a local source.

ymz January 16th, 2019 20:28

I didn't post an image... I was mostly asking about the behavior of the charger - it acts up only with the newer batteries... I charged up one of the older Kirkland brand (Costco's label), and it behaved properly...

bizzle January 16th, 2019 22:41

I'm pretty sure that all "new" flooded batteries are remans. Your Kirkland battery might not be depending on how old it is. I just get interstate MTP48/H6's for my cars. 30 month replacement with another three years proration. The proration is all of about worthless (or maybe even worse than worthless since you have to buy a battery at MSRP to utilize it) but that 30 month over the counter replacement has kept my 98 battery new for the past 5 years lol.

Mongler98 January 17th, 2019 04:08

It's all about the date and how long it sits in storage. Do some reasurch on how to buy them. It makes no difference where you do. Btw, costco has the worlds best return policy and customer service since they opened. So. There is that.

thundershorts January 17th, 2019 05:54

the Bosch batteries sold by pep boy are built by exide, which is largest produce in the world of batteries. 36 month no prorata warranty, so you may only have to buy a battery once...

1854sailor January 17th, 2019 05:58

I've followed the advice on these forums and have only ever used OEM batteries from a dealer. Our '01 Golf, bought new, is currently on its third battery and, if it lasts as long as the others have, it will need a new one in a couple of years...

bizzle January 17th, 2019 09:17

What is the warranty on the OE battery?

1854sailor January 17th, 2019 10:23

Don't know, never asked.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizzle (Post 5475072)
What is the warranty on the OE battery?

ymz January 17th, 2019 13:14

This latest battery is dated 11/18... I'm still wondering about the action of the charger... Costco gives you 3 year return...

bizzle January 17th, 2019 13:15

3 years over the counter? Last I read was it had been changed to 1 year replacement. Are the remaining two years prorated?

ymz January 17th, 2019 13:19

Costco just refunded the original purchase price...

bizzle January 17th, 2019 13:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by ymz (Post 5475158)
Costco just refunded the original purchase price...

:confused:
If you're referring to them refunding you on a battery dated 11/18, that doesn't answer my question as to their warranty terms for years 2 and 3?

BobnOH January 17th, 2019 13:33

Warranties can vary, believe that 3 year replace, 5 prorate is what the dealer does.

bizzle January 17th, 2019 13:36

It's down to 2 year replacement. I just called two different dealerships because the VW website says 3 but both told me it's 2. I can't remember if there is a prorated on the dealer battery, they told me but I didn't pay attention to it because it's generally worthless.

Retail price was $144 +tax