TDIClub Forums

TDIClub Forums (http://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php)
-   Vendor & GroupBuy items for sale (http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   **Bad VW part vendor WARNING list** (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=320500)

SuburbanTDI January 30th, 2016 18:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon (Post 4996466)
This thread is titled "Bad VW Part Vendor Warning List." Who's the vendor?

The thread states, "We have seen this same pump sold by our favorite CRAP distributor."

It doesn't identify the vendor by name, but as internet vendor "Prothe" has a significant presence in the Chinese parts aftermarket, sells through an uncountable number of false storefronts, and for many is the poster boy for crap and self-disintegrating products - it seemed responsible to link to the 'forgery OEM pump' thread here.

OEM forgeries add a whole new angle. Especially when even reputable shops like in the linked thread can find themselves with those dangerous engine-destroying parts in their hands. Thankfully they were able to find this one and share a warning.

IndigoBlueWagon January 30th, 2016 18:45

My understanding is the purpose of this thread is to identify vendors selling parts that members should avoid. Pointing out the pumps exist doesn't help that cause. I'd certainly like to know who's selling them so I can avoid purchasing them.

SuburbanTDI January 30th, 2016 18:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon (Post 4996501)
I'd certainly like to know who's selling them so I can avoid purchasing them.

Quote, "We have seen this same pump sold by our favorite CRAP distributor."

Keep it easy, stay away from any crap distributor. Your favorite, or anyone else's. They may be selling this same pump as per the thread.

And keep an eye out for forged OEM parts.

bhtooefr January 30th, 2016 19:16

Also, this thread was basically started to out Prothe aliases, I thought. So, "our favorite CRAP distributor" would be Prothe.

Still, it would be interesting to know the original source.

96passat1z April 10th, 2016 16:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by turbocharged798 (Post 3433481)
Prothe is a member here:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/member.php?u=87399

Maybe OP can add this link to the first post.

...and he's still listed as a newbie even though he's been around since '08!

rwolff April 10th, 2016 19:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonTDI (Post 4171268)
That's what I've often said about him. I'm honestly surprised someone hasn't shanked him in a dark alley somewhere....

Somebody tried, but the blade broke. It seems that Prothe has a site selling knives online...:p

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuburbanTDI (Post 4996504)
And keep an eye out for forged OEM parts.

Does this mean billet and cast OEM parts are OK?:D

AnotherPerson April 24th, 2016 11:28

Im just seeing this post and im trying to remember what else he screws around with. I believe its the ford powerstrokes. I knew of his name and his crap long before any interest in vw tdi's.

Vince Waldon April 24th, 2016 11:34

Mazda, IIRC?

bhtooefr April 24th, 2016 11:35

Miatas. (One of his aliases is emiata even.)

bikeprof April 25th, 2016 13:48

WELL... !
I did buy a turbo "upgrade" for my B4 about the time "fly-by-night" Prothe started his online business, so actually not too bad duration BUT !
1. NEVER got the turbo to spool correctly
2. NEVER got the power needed but plenty of unused fuel
3. MANY times R & R turbo and other pieces(vacuum, etc...)

SO YEAH! Prothe should be impaled by one of his turbo shafts spinning ~ 180K !

And now, have to dish out more $ for new QUALITY turbo, then drain combustion chamber of the oil from the turbo seal "-(

mr_y82 April 26th, 2016 07:39

^lawl! thanks for that post.

Bobt250 November 29th, 2016 11:09

I bought a complete head and a turbo from him 5 years ago. 90k later and still running strong. I need another one for a different car and plan on buying from him again.

oldpoopie November 29th, 2016 11:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobt250 (Post 5188183)
I bought a complete head and a turbo from him 5 years ago. 90k later and still running strong. I need another one for a different car and plan on buying from him again.

Clearly a gambler.........

Windex November 29th, 2016 12:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobt250 (Post 5188183)

Please...

No activity on your account for half a decade, and you come back today to miraculously detail your prothe success in three different threads? :rolleyes:

I can only roll my eyes so far...

Prothe is a well known crap peddler - please shill elsewhere, or provide much more detail like pictures or invoices.

Bobt250 November 29th, 2016 13:28

I apologize for what appears to be a shill. The reason I was looking around is that I am in need of another head and was wondering what the word on him was now 5 years later. That's all, I'm not a shill, just stating my experience with him. I was planning on going straight to him (if I could find him) for another one but you guys have me concerned.

If I was a shill I would have been defending him years ago.

I only bought the head and turbo from him. I bought a timing belt kit from someone else that had a Conti belt. I've had good luck with those belts.

Can anyone say if they had a problem specifically with a head from this guy?

I seriously want to know because I need a head for an ALH