Leaking Oil at filter housing

niteman9

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Notice oil on the garage floor. I looked under the hood and the block behind the oil filter was covered with oil. I took the belly pan off and cleaned the entire engine and started it up. After 5 min running I noticed oil forming on the block again. I determined I am getting a mist of oil which appears to be coming from where the oil filter housing mounts to the block. Is this common? What parts are needed to repair? (part numbers would be great) Is just a gasket that needs replaced? Anything I should look out for?

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi Q5 TDI, 2016 BMW 535d Xdrive
Did you just change the oil? I recently had my 20K mile oil change and I had a lot of leaking. It took 3 tries to fix it due to faulty O rings.

niteman9

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
its not leaking at the housing cap it leaking where the housing mounts to the block. Just ordered the Bentley DVD so that should help.

Last edited:

niteman9

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Well I took the filter out and checked the O-Ring which looked fine but I replaced it anyway. Thought the leak stopped until I took it for a drive. So I guess I will pull it apart this weekend.

niteman9

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
I didn't mention earlier but I have a bypass fiter system on the car. What I have found is the housing is cracked and leaking. I think this is a result of bypass filter hanging off the oil filter housing. Has anyone else seen this issue with the bypass systems?

niteman9

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Now I am looking for a Oil filter Bracket. The part number on the one in the car is 045 115 389 G. I have found 045 115 389 E and 045 115 389 J. Does anyone know it either of these will work.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
I would call 1stvwparts.com They list the oil filter housing as superseding to the 'J' revision. $125, as of this morning on their website.

Tony

niteman9

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Ok I got the new housing and the Bentley on DVD. I'm ready to change this out this weekend. The Bentley states the bolts are one time use. I called a dealer to get the bolts and was told I didn't need them. They told me to reuse the bolts. I am kinda afraid to ask this but, does anyone here have an opinion.