Swapping seats - 2000 Jetta VR6 Leather into 2001 Jetta TDI Cloth -plug ins different

euphoria18_79

TDI
2001 VW Jetta
Swapping seats - 2000 Jetta VR6 Leather into 2001 Jetta TDI Cloth -UPDATE

I am not very good with vehicles, and have done numerous searches online, but not sure what to do.
I drive a 2001 Jetta TDI that came with the cloth package.
I purchased a wrecked 2000 Jetta VR6 GLS with the leather package
I have swapped all the door panels, but am now working on the seats. I have taken the front leather seats out of the VR6, and have taken the passenger side out of the TDi. I noticed that there is a black, flat connector in the TDI that is not part of the VR6. The drivers side appears to have 2 different connectors.
so, can i do this? or what do i need to do?
Thanks everyone
Chris
Just to add, both seats are heated, neither have power.

Last edited:

CGDoig

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta GLS MKIV
I think you'll have to figure out which wire does what and splice the old connector onto the new seats.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
I noticed that there is a black, flat connector in the TDI that is not part of the VR6.
what do i need to do?
You need to tell us how many wires are in that flat connector and what color the insulating jackets on each of those wires are.

They should be plug & play. The driver's seat does have an additional connector from the seatbelt buckle that the passenger's side does not have. Be sure you aren't comparing the left of one seat and the right of the other.

At worst, swap the cushions and skins. I just finished re-doing a 2 door GL Golf with a pair of heated leather GLX Jetta leathers. I kept the 2 door seat frames for their lift and tip movement for rear seat access.

Last edited:

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Last edited:

euphoria18_79

TDI
2001 VW Jetta
Sorry had other issues with the car that i had to do first. Now back to getting these seats installed. None of the clips match, as it looks like the clips changed between 2000 and 2001. So here is what i have. I am putting the leather seats in and taking the cloth seats out.

So here is the wires for the leather seats:
Drivers Side
Black Plug - brown wire, yellow wire
Green Plug - black/yellow wire, black/white wire, brown wire, thick brown wire
purple/yellow plug - brown wire, white wire, green wire

Passenger side
purple/yellow plug - brown wire, white wire, blue wire

this is what my car currently has for the cloth seats
Drivers Side
Yellow Plug - red wire, brown wire, yellow wire, brown wire
Green Plug - Black/yellow wire, black/white wire, brown wire, thick brown wire
Yellow Plug - red wire, brown wire, yellow wire, brown wire

Passenger side
black plug - purple wire, brown wire
yellow plug - white wire, blue wire, brown wire

http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q252/euphoria18_79/
That is a link to photos.

kiwibru

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2-door, 2k Silver. Red RTDI now gone but not forgotten!
This is not a hard thing to do. All you need to do is systematically trace, cut and re-wire the male connectors from your newer car seats over to the existing car wiring harness. The newer seats will have two seat belt wires, the older seat will have one (drivers side only). You can un-bolt the actual seat belt cable with wire and swap it over to the new seat. 10mm triple point as I remember...

The wires are similar enough in color (look for same color, then via process of elimination and position on old / new connectors move the needed male connectors from the new seats to the car harness. Hopefully you have all the connectors (male/female) on the new seats. Just ID, cut, splice and add a bit of solder, cover with electrical tape and if you are really concerned some shrink tubing slid on before the soldering, then heated to shrink over the soldered / wrapped wires.
Jeez, I think the description is harder than the actual doing! Anyway you can do it, just be methodical!