TDIClub Forums

TDIClub Forums (http://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php)
-   OBD Scanners (http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Finally just got vag-com. What should I check first? (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=395260)

vdubdezl September 13th, 2013 20:00

Finally just got vag-com. What should I check first?
 
I finally scrounged up enough money from side jobs to get my Hex-Can+USB Vag-com. I know I am going to check the timing again just because it hasn't been done since I put the EGR cooler back on. Also, where can I find the procedure for limiting the EGR? I've also had a constant problem fighting the Glow plug check engine code. I really hope it can narrow my focus on this too. Can vag-com be used like a tuner??

JSWTDI09 September 13th, 2013 20:42

VCDS (Vag-Com) cannot be used as a tuner. It cannot modify the programming in any controller. However, it can change any configuration bits to enable or disable options.

As for what to do first - always start with an autoscan, and save the results. This will give you a baseline to go back to in case you change something and don't like the results. You will discover that your 2011 probably has a lot more configuration options than your 2001 does.

Have Fun!

Don

vdubdezl September 14th, 2013 05:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSWTDI09 (Post 4298103)
VCDS (Vag-Com) cannot be used as a tuner. It cannot modify the programming in any controller. However, it can change any configuration bits to enable or disable options.

As for what to do first - always start with an autoscan, and save the results. This will give you a baseline to go back to in case you change something and don't like the results. You will discover that your 2011 probably has a lot more configuration options than your 2001 does.

Have Fun!

Don

I was pretty sure I couldn't do any "tuning", but just wanted to make sure. There are a few things I read about a while ago on the 11 JSW that I would like to do like adding foglights, etc. I'm sure the isn't much you can do with 01.

Is there a way on the 01 Golf I can make the trunk lock only when I lock the car like my JSW does? This really annoys me!

compu_85 September 14th, 2013 06:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSWTDI09 (Post 4298103)
As for what to do first - always start with an autoscan, and save the results. This will give you a baseline to go back to in case you change something and don't like the results.

This is the best possible advice. Always do an auto scan first, and save it in a safe place.

-J

vdubdezl September 14th, 2013 06:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by compu_85 (Post 4298221)
This is the best possible advice. Always do an auto scan first, and save it in a safe place.

-J

I can just save it to a file right? or do I physically need to write it down?

compu_85 September 14th, 2013 06:49

Save it to a .txt file (VCDS can do this for you). Then perhaps email it to yourself.

-J

vdubdezl September 15th, 2013 17:18

Thanks for the info guys. After much searching and trying to remember how I saw the timing checked, I went to Ross-Tech's website and found a list of diagnostic settings/procedures on this page. I thought it would be helpful to others too.
http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/index.html

gmcjetpilot June 30th, 2014 19:11

As everyone said AUTO SCAN....the #1 most useful thing you can do with it.

This is what I have done with my VCDS:
  • Scan for codes and clear them
  • Change custom settings (number of blinks for soft turn light, windows up/down with key fob, brake lights flash under hard breaking and ABS is activated, coming home headlights....)
  • Measure performance while driving and plotting out.
  • Prime fuel system running tank and boost pumps.
To change engine performance, timing, fuel delivery (mapping), I don't
know. Personally I wouldn't do it. I do recall reading the manual if you
change engine parameters you better copy the old code before you
do... just in case. Otherwise you could make your engine not run at all.

Ol'Rattler July 9th, 2014 11:24

Something you need to remember is that VCDS is just one of many tools in your tool kit. Hands down, the best tool you can own is having a working understanding of what you are working on.

When troubleshooting, VCDS doesn't tell you what the problem is, it tells you what the ECU sees. When a DTC (code) is set, you do not just change the part described in the text of the DTC, your next step is to figure out why the ECU set the code.

The last real problem I had with my car was a glow plug light and DTC's for glow plugs. Change the glow plugs, right? Not even close. The actual cause of the problem was a loose ground. Tightening the ground completely cured the problem. The proof was that the DTC's never came back after I cleared them.

BobnOH July 17th, 2014 12:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol'Rattler (Post 4566250)
Something you need to remember is that VCDS is just one of many tools in your tool kit. Hands down, the best tool you can own is having a working understanding of what you are working on.

When troubleshooting, VCDS doesn't tell you what the problem is, it tells you what the ECU sees. When a DTC (code) is set, you do not just change the part described in the text of the DTC, your next step is to figure out why the ECU set the code.

The last real problem I had with my car was a glow plug light and DTC's for glow plugs. Change the glow plugs, right? Not even close. The actual cause of the problem was a loose ground. Tightening the ground completely cured the problem. The proof was that the DTC's never came back after I cleared them.

^^^This bares repeating^^^
Troubleshoot the system, not the components. The cars computer controls are not that sophisticated.

vondiesel August 17th, 2014 09:34

where is the best place to pick up a vag-com and how much does it run?

Smalls September 30th, 2014 04:19

Www.ross-tech.com seems to be the go to place.

Depending on what your needs are, you're looking between 300-500 dollars.

matthew83544 October 1st, 2014 21:52

Is there anyone in or near Lewiston, Idaho who has vag-com? I've got a glow plug light on my 2011 and can't even find the bently manual. Maybe some suggestions? The plugs seem fine, but I don't know about pressure sensors that are incorporated in them? Also I was told about a relay, but couldn't find any.

Thanks,
Matthew

forcedfedbug October 2nd, 2014 07:27

Matthew,

There are no betley manuals after 2k8 or so. If you want a repair manual you either need to buy some time on ebaun and download everything you can or get another type repair manual.
On a side note I am no where near Idaho unless you are talking 1 tank of fuel one way, Sorry.

Ron

jimmyjay6 December 31st, 2014 09:06

You can also check these guys (check engine Light) guys. They sometimes have great deals.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:06.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright - TDIClub Online LTD - 2017

Page generated in 0.07198 seconds with 8 queries
[Output: 18.18 Kb. compressed to 17.37 Kb. by saving 0.81 Kb. (4.47%)]