Hard start when low fuel and sits overnight.

Bill f

TDI
2004 passat wagon bhw auto tdi
I have recently been fighting a hard start problem when car sat overnight. It wasn't all the time just once in awhile. After researching on here I was able to narrow it down to it only happening when the fuel tank was low. I tried several brands of fuel treatments with no change. So I bit the bullet and figured I was going to have to replace the lift pump because of the check valve. I ordered the lift pump removal tool. I good friend of mine who was a former ford mechanic told me about Lucas gas and diesel treatment. He swore by it. He said he had cars come in running bad but no codes were showing and everything was checking fine. He told his customers to run it down to a 1/4 tank and add a bottle of lucas. It worked for several people. I did not believe him but I figured I would spend a few dollars and give it a try if it was going to have a chance on saving me a few hundred for a new lift pump. So I bought a couple of bottles when the tank was just under a quarter full I added a bottle. When it was time to fill up again I added another bottle. It has been several months now and I have no had a starting issue yet. I do not know what it did that the others couldn't do but it's starting fine. This particular treatment is basically a form of mineral spirits. Figured that out by looking up the sds. I do not know if there is a rubber seal on the check valve that it may have made pliable again or if it's just the cleaning properties of it in any case it worked for me.

Last edited: