Block heater on the 2015 TDI

aldebaran

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta Highline TDI
Since the temperature dropped below -10C, I have plugged the car in to keep the engine warm overnight.
Anybody knows what is the power of the heater, i.e. how many Watts it draws?
How long has it to be plugged in to warm the engine? I am having it on all the time for when the car is on the driveway but I'm thinking of cutting back when I'm not using the car.
Thanks.

GD

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline DSG
Yup buy a timer and 1-2hrs should be fine

glick

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI
I have a 2015 also in KW so I'm getting the exact temps you are. Although I keep mine in an unheated garage but its a bit warmer than right on the driveway.

I have not bothered to plug in the block heater yet. I have not had any problems with cold starts etc. Use the glow plugs for one cycle and engine fires right up. Wait for the RPM to stabilize (~5s) and then start driving. Engine reaches operating temps within about 5-7min.

I don't think that our area is getting cold enough to warrant the block heater yet.

aldebaran

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta Highline TDI
I have a 2015 also in KW so I'm getting the exact temps you are. Although I keep mine in an unheated garage but its a bit warmer than right on the driveway.

I have not bothered to plug in the block heater yet. I have not had any problems with cold starts etc. Use the glow plugs for one cycle and engine fires right up. Wait for the RPM to stabilize (~5s) and then start driving. Engine reaches operating temps within about 5-7min.

I don't think that our area is getting cold enough to warrant the block heater yet.
The problem is not that the engine won't start, it's about wear and tear; a cold start wears the engine more than a 1000Km drive; plus, it will warm up faster if preheat.
My old Mk5 didn't have a block heater and even at 300k clicks would start in -20C temperature on the first attempt.

glick

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI
My old Mk5 didn't have a block heater and even at 300k clicks would start in -20C temperature on the first attempt.
If your Mk5 got to 300k w/o a block heater and still didn't give any problems then it sounds like the wear and tear due to the cold start is not that severe of a problem.

aldebaran

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta Highline TDI
Why not using it if available? Will definitely help. The old car was pretty worn down when I've got it replaced at 340K; it would still start quickly in cold weather but the camshaft failed and that was the main reason I've got a new car.

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
Just a bit over 500W for the mk7 and it does not do anything period.
I've plugged it in for the recommended interval of 3 hours and for 5 hours with no noticeable difference as to not being plugged in at all.
Maybe 5 degrees in coolant temp but nothing to give an extra bit of heat in the cabin.
If you're concerned about warming up times.
Start it, drive it after a minute or so
Fan on 4-5
Full heat and no recirc
Use the full defrost and don't worry if you see the A/C button light up it just the drier not the condesnsor.

This is my procedure and for reference , by the time I get from Chicopee hill to the 401 I have full cabin heat that's about 8 minutes and 15 km or so

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

TigerDriver

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 passat TDI, 2012 Jetta TDI
Does the 2012 Jetta have a Block Heater as standard equipment? The first 20 minutes of this last week's commutes were quite cold...

canada_man

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI Highline w/Fender & Nav
Canadian TDIs have a block heater (coolant heater) that is factory installed. Contrary to JasonP, mine makes a huge difference. Operating temp is around 91-93 degrees Celsius. 2 hours of plugging in produces coolant temps around 55 degrees C (measured with an ultraguage).

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Does the 2012 Jetta have a Block Heater as standard equipment? The first 20 minutes of this last week's commutes were quite cold...
We are talking 2015 models guys not 2012...
Canadian TDIs have a block heater (coolant heater) that is factory installed. Contrary to JasonP, mine makes a huge difference. Operating temp is around 91-93 degrees Celsius. 2 hours of plugging in produces coolant temps around 55 degrees C (measured with an ultraguage).

aldebaran

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta Highline TDI
I didn't check the temperature but last week when we had -16 in the morning the engine was warm to touch; I left the heater plugged overnight. The engine would start in -30C temperature no problem, without the heater, but a little heat helps reducing the wear due to thicker lubricant and tighter fits in the bearings.
Cabin temperature is not a concern since the 1kW electric heater blows warm air in 30 seconds.

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I didn't check the temperature but last week when we had -16 in the morning the engine was warm to touch; I left the heater plugged overnight. The engine would start in -30C temperature no problem, without the heater, but a little heat helps reducing the wear due to thicker lubricant and tighter fits in the bearings.
Cabin temperature is not a concern since the 1kW electric heater blows warm air in 30 seconds.
1kw heater????

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
These go in the block itself? Coolant plug with an element and pigtail? ? Or Ghetto like the frost heater and chopped in-line with Coolant circuit and hose clamps?

glick

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI
1kw heater????

There is an auxiliary electric cabin heater that turns on if the heater dial is on max and the fan is on 2+ until the engine warms up and can take over. Really comes in handy on cold mornings.

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
There is an auxiliary electric cabin heater that turns on if the heater dial is on max and the fan is on 2+ until the engine warms up and can take over. Really comes in handy on cold mornings.
Must be a new thing in the 15 jetta,15 golf doesn't seem to have that

Aztraveler

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold 2014 Jetta back to VW in 2016. In Oct 2020 Bought 2015 Passat TDI SE CPO
My 2012 JettaTDI had it and my 2014 JettaTDI has it.

Turn heat all the way to the hottest, not close to hottest but all the way. CW rotation. You can feel it a slight resistance once it clicks in. Can't hear it but feel it. Fan must be on 2 or higher. I get heat within a few minutes and by the time I'm 7 minutes down the road I'm turning it down.

I can't tell you if gassers have it. I never owned a VW gasser.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

ShawnShady

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDi 3 Pedals
I've been plugging in my recently installed frostheater lately and the car just sounds so much better than an ice cold start.

aldebaran

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta Highline TDI

Turn heat all the way to the hottest, not close to hottest but all the way. CW rotation. You can feel it a slight resistance once it clicks in. Can't hear it but feel it. Fan must be on 2 or higher. I get heat within a few minutes and by the time I'm 7 minutes down the road I'm turning it down.

I have the climatronic and it kicks right in in the morning; I have it on Auto.

aldebaran

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta Highline TDI
I had it on my old Mk5 too, but in the 2015 it is much improved.

aldebaran

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta Highline TDI
These go in the block itself? Coolant plug with an element and pigtail? ? Or Ghetto like the frost heater and chopped in-line with Coolant circuit and hose clamps?
Probably in the block itself, I did not check; factory installed with a discreet power supply socket on the left corner of the front bumper, no hanging cables; the cable proper is detachable and has a plug that matches the socket.

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI

There's no extra "click" on the temp knob, tried ot toning with fan on 2 3 4 5 no difference in air temp coming out of vents
Climate controls must be different on jetta and golf models

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Probably in the block itself, I did not check; factory installed with a discreet power supply socket on the left corner of the front bumper, no hanging cables; the cable proper is detachable and has a plug that matches the socket.
Nice. I was going to go that route. But got lazy and left a pigtail hang out 2-3 inches.

Aztraveler

Veteran Member
TDI
Maybe a difference between Canadian and US models.

Nick_F

TDI
2015 Jetta TDi Highline
I'm confident that the 2015 jetta TDi doesn't have an electric heater

I barely noticed the electric heater in my mk5.

I thought i would use the block heater in this weather, but this new engine in the 2015 jetta/golf heats up so fast in the current weather (Fergus,ontario)

This is a modern diesel engine, i would not worry about the wear and tear on the engine from cold starts.

Turn it on and start driving

Aztraveler

Veteran Member
TDI
US MKVi Jetta TDI pre2015 only came with manual Heating and Air Controls. I do not know if that is true on Canadian models. I am aware the Canadians can get factory real leather and we can't. I also understand the factory "block" heater is standard and not available in the US.

And I agree is it much colder across most of Canada than most of the US. However, there many portions of the US and Canada that have similar cold weather. It may be a little known fact that Detroit Michigan is the only major US city north of Canada. Windsor Ont is south of Detroit.

YMMV

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
I'm confident that the 2015 jetta TDi doesn't have an electric heater

I barely noticed the electric heater in my mk5.

I thought i would use the block heater in this weather, but this new engine in the 2015 jetta/golf heats up so fast in the current weather (Fergus,ontario)

This is a modern diesel engine, i would not worry about the wear and tear on the engine from cold starts.

Turn it on and start driving
I do think regardless milage or how new, waiting 3-5 mins after starting in sub-zero ambient will do more good then touching key, dumping drive, and flooring it....

Cold oil is evil oil.