2004 jetta BEW tdi stalling/no start

Cdownard

TDI
2004 Jetta 5spd BEW
Hi everyone sorry if this is not where to post this I am New, I have a 2004 jetta BEW tdi, last week I was driving on the highway at about 70km/h and I lost power I pulled over and the car stalled it would crank but not start, I towed it home got to look at it found the egr full of carbon, I cleaned it up and pulled the intake elbow tube off, now it starts but stalls if I put the intake tube back on, I have very little exhaust coming out so I drilled a hole pre cat to check if the cat was plugged, still same issue, very little exhaust coming out of the hole I drilled as well, I'm pretty sure I have an air restriction somewhere or something like that I was just wondering if anyone had any insite on where i should be looking for it , with the elbow off it idles fine but as soon as i put it close it stalls out any info would be appreciated

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Pull hose off intercooler. Is it full of oil? Common symptom of turbo failure.
We ran into this here a few weeks back and I suggested the same thing, but if it's full of oil, you still need to pull the intake off the turbo to verify that it has failed. But if the turbo is failed, you need to pull the hose off of the intercooler to drain the oil.

I guess one problem with starting with the intercooler hose is what if it's NOT full of oil, but the turbo has still failed, but you didn't check the turbo?

But will a failing turbo ALWAYS fill the intercooler with oil? Maybe it will and maybe I'm just overthinking this. And what if the turbo HASN'T failed and you go through all of the work to get the ar up, crawl under, figure out which tools you need, crawl back out, get the wrong tools...

Ah Heck. Just pull the danged intercooler hose and stop overthinking the silly thing!