Can now confirm rubber lines+ BD = bad

treedweller

TDI
02 NB, platinum gray
Not in my cars, thankfully, but in my brush chipper.

I bought it in December, new from factory. They painted the whole thing before they shipped it, so wires, hoses, fuel lines, everything was green. Since I'd just confirmed both my Dodge and wife's VW would have synthetic fuel lines, I assumed rubber lines and diesels no longer went together.

It came with a full tank of dino, but I've only added B100 since then.

Last week, my machine was running full throttle when suddenly it slowed drastically. I knew I was low on fuel and assumed that was the problem. I added fuel and parked for the weekend. Monday I tried to start it and couldn't get it to crank. Started inspecting things, and realized one section of fuel line (highest pressure, b/t pump and injectors) was basically turned into jelly. Coated my hands black every time I touched it.

Long story short(er), I relaced all the lines and everything is fine again. I had to scramble for hose in town, couldn't find viton, so I have "synthetic rubber" from a local performance shop that didn't seem to know much about his product (I think it's nitrile). I'm negotiating witih the local BD coop to work a group buy on some viton soon. Since plain rubber lasted 8 months, I'm hoping I can go a little longer than that on nitrile if need be.

Sorry for the long-winded post, but be warned: Make sure those lines are not rubber!

Keith

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
Since you now have some time try McMaster.com I get my supply of Viton B from them. Get the firm not the STIFF.