2000 new beetle tdi turbo leaking oil

BeetleLisa

TDI
2000 new beetle
I have been told my turbo seals are leaking oil. Question - rebuild or buy new one? Cost of each option and who in Georgia to get to do this. I have referenced the names on the tdi recommended mechanics list if that
is the recommended source. My beetle has 186k on it. Is this normal to go out now? Is there anything to get a longer life on the next turbo?
Thanks in advance for all help and advice given!!!!

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
See one of the guys on the list first, if possible, to see if you really need a new turbo, but if its passing a lot of oil you most likely do and continueing to drive it that way can result in an engine "runaway" and big time engine damage/failure.If you do need to replace, buy a new turbo. They're not too bad really. Here's an example:
http://metalmanparts.com/product.sc?productId=260&categoryId=52
Better chance of it lasting and not having to go thru the remove/reinstall issue again.

Last edited:

Keith_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta MT
If it is not making excessive noise (whirling sound) and you are getting the requested boost (verified by road test with VCDS), then it probably isn't the seals. Yes, it can leak oil but from other reasons, primarily from crankcase venting issues.

First, make sure there aren't any vacuum leaks. Vacuum leaks means the vacuum pump works harder which forces air into the valve cover.

Second, the valve cover has a plastic baffle which contains stainless steel wire mesh pads. These pads can get fouled with combustion blow-by, reducing the effectiveness to remove oil mist from blow-by. This causes more oil to get into the intake and raises the crankcase pressure. This prevents normal draining of the center bearing, overloading the seals of the turbo. The seals are non-contact, meaning they are designed to leak small amounts of air and exhaust into the crankcase. If the air or exhaust gas cannot flow into the crankcase, oil will weep out.

Finally, the turbo oil drain could be clogged.

Keith_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta MT
If there is a good bit of oil in the intercooler, it would be prudent to clean the intake before doing a turbo test to prevent a run-away. If you drain the IC every oil change, a few ounces is acceptable.

Cars that are gingerly driven can build up a bit more since intake and exhaust pressures are lower.

BeetleLisa

TDI
2000 new beetle
turbo leaking oil

Wow, thanks for all the quick and very useful responses. Will begin
to investigate these things and see which direction I'll take. Keep the
good info coming!

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
If the maintenance has been followed properly on the engine, I'd say the Turbo is just fine!

The advice above is right on! Don't go jumping to a new Turbo until all those things have been checked first!