Logo design contest! '09 Fest

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Calling all artistic minds! We're going to have a logo design contest for this year's TDI Fest. The logo will appear on the t-shirts, banners, promotional materials, and of course, the TDIclub website.

T-shirts will be 3-color silk screening on a light shirt color, so please keep your color palette in mind when designing the logo.

Contest entry will start now, and run through May 15th. If your design is chosen by the TDI Fest planning committee, you will receive a free registration to Fest for you and a guest, and $10 in raffle tickets.

To start you all off, I would like to see a design that incorporates monuments and or attractions from the area, and an avante garde TDIclub logo (graffiti-ish, but legible).

Here is a sample of what I'm thinking of for the background...

(without the Sphinx, obviously).

Don't let me box you in in terms of creativity... let your mind wander and let's see what you can come up with. :)

Entries should be a high resolution image that can be enhanced or blown up as necessary without getting distorted or becoming grainy.

Please post your art work, questions, and comments in this thread. :cool:

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
photochop in an R10 in place of the Sphinx... call it a day.

Last edited by a moderator:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
kcfoxie said:
photochop in an R10 in place of the Sphinx... call it a day.

LOL! That actually sounds pretty awesome, although I'm sure Audi would throw a fit if you made it look too realistic.

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
Don't most Le Mans vehicles look similar? So you make it look a little more F1-ish and slap "TDI" on the end of it..... problem solved.

I'll work on a mock up tonight (I think I can use the lines of the Sphinx) when I get back home to my GIMP-enabled computer...

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
The preferred format is vector based (.ai or eps). If you can't get that I'll have the required size for printing shortly. Also I should have a picture of past logos that hopefully won't influence you too much.:)

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I can't wait to see the picture of the previous logos. :cool:

goTDIcandy

Veteran Member
TDI
white 05 Golf
yeah, me too to see the previous logos! Looking forward to the 2009 Fest!
Do early Fest Registrants get to vote for the '2009 TDI Fest Logo'?
Kristina

VeeDubTDI

TDI
whitetdi05 said:
yeah, me too to see the previous logos! Looking forward to the 2009 Fest!
Do early Fest Registrants get to vote for the '2009 TDI Fest Logo'?
Kristina
The planning committee and the planners from previous Fests will be doing the voting. :)

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2000:
To be added
2001:

2002:
To be added
2003:
To be added
2004:

2005:
To be added
2006:

2007:
To be added
2008:

Still searching for past logos. I thought I had them all handy.:(

Last edited by a moderator:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Cool! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. :)

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I like it! But I think you may want to tone down the realism on the car. A more ambiguous car outline will keep us safer when it comes to copyright stuff.

Great start though! :cool:

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
Let me get out of Mac hell and back into an environment where I can work and I'll see what I can come up with. To be fair, and to most people, it looks like most of the other LeMans vehicles out there. (Specifically the Acura, Dauer, MG and five or six other vehicles on the next page) The different is the TDI on the side....

However for legal purposes, because VWAG and VWoA have absolutely no spirit at all, I'll try and muck it up more. I'm also not "pleased" with the other two items, so I might just print and freehand (put my tablet to use) something in vector and work from there... that way, should my artwork be selected, we'd have tshirt ready vectors.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
kcfoxie said:
Let me get out of Mac hell and back into an environment where I can work and I'll see what I can come up with. To be fair, and to most people, it looks like most of the other LeMans vehicles out there. (Specifically the Acura, Dauer, MG and five or six other vehicles on the next page) The different is the TDI on the side....

However for legal purposes, because VWAG and VWoA have absolutely no spirit at all, I'll try and muck it up more. I'm also not "pleased" with the other two items, so I might just print and freehand (put my tablet to use) something in vector and work from there... that way, should my artwork be selected, we'd have tshirt ready vectors.
Works for me. I like where you're going with this, so I'll shut up and see what you can come up with. :cool:

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
why won't justler use his mad ms paint skillz and design a *real* logo!!! :D

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
I'm not a designer, but my recommendation would be to try and keep the logo proposals simple and not too detailed. This will make it show up better on tshirts, websites and such. If there is too much intricate work, the detail may not be replicated onto the tshirts properly.

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
i worked in a screen shop during college, the initial design certainly won't translate into a screen well at all. I've also not had the luxury to work on this at home (due to, ready for this, computer troubles). However am I the only one working on a design? :)

I think my mockup's a good starting point...

oEo

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf TDi PD ::Indigo Blue::
VW Derf said:
I'm not a designer, but my recommendation would be to try and keep the logo proposals simple and not too detailed. This will make it show up better on tshirts, websites and such. If there is too much intricate work, the detail may not be replicated onto the tshirts properly.
Spoken like a true designer! I have a few ideas... I might be able to knock out some roughs/comps.

-Tony

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I updated Fred's post to include the 2006 logo.

ozpassatwagon05

TDI
05 Passat Wagon TDI
my quick tshirt idea...just trying to help

Here is a quick idea i had... and its simple enough that the whole family could enjoy wearing. It has the DC location and the redskin colors to add to the DC theme. Just wanted to contribute to the idea.:D

I havent figured out how to incorporate the "I" into the washington monument... Im stuck on the use of that monument for the "I", i am heading to bed shortly and may just dream up something totally different.

Last edited:

ozpassatwagon05

TDI
05 Passat Wagon TDI
i totally agree about the "I" thing... so here it is again with the I in the logo and a different front style... it does look a lot better :)

Last edited:

ozpassatwagon05

TDI
05 Passat Wagon TDI
Its really not about the "redskins" colors. its about colors that are associated with DC... We can always pick red, white and blue and pretend to be on the 4th of July parade, or in the middle of elections. :D

Super dark colors will keep everyone nice and toasty during our ultra hot and humid summers here in VA... a lighter color will quickly get dirty from dirty hands that have been opening and closing hoods, or tinkering with stuff. :rolleyes:

So that is my reasoning for choosing certain colors over others... all input is welcome... i dont design tshirts or anything i just happen to know this site from doing a unit tshirt once upon a time.

It allows you to load pics and use those images as well...

For those wondering the site is www.customink.com just go there and its very user friendly to get your ideas rolling. I learned last night that they are actually a local company here in VA.

Their address:
7900 Westpark Dr Ste T500
McLean, VA 22102-4234
1-800-293-4232

here is a variation with a different color:

in VW's colors

In "Dusk"

Last edited:

onlyinabeetle

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
I have to say the third color works well, also I am partial to the typical grey like last year too, however not sure how yellow would look on it

oEo

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf TDi PD ::Indigo Blue::
Has there been any discussion of 1-sided vs 2-sided shirts? I would assume 2-sides will increase the cost?