TDIClub Forums

TDIClub Forums (http://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php)
-   VW B5 Passat TDIs (http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   BHW Balance Shaft Module replacement (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=233651)

blaz January 10th, 2009 06:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScotR
I was just reading the how to page for the bs module and it is a very good right up. I myself have done a few and there are a few things that can be done to make it easier

Er, ScotR, would you be in the Mechanic business?

There's a bunch of Ontario Passat owners looking for a place to get this done, without the trek to Missouri.

oilhammer January 10th, 2009 19:25

It is not a big deal for me to remove the lock carrier because I have an A/C machine handy. You could certainly leave it in place. I just prefer not to have to lean over things.

While the A/C is being sucked down I do other things on the job, so there really is no wasted time. I pull them off on just about every B5 timing belt job.

wolfsburg January 11th, 2009 06:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaz
Er, ScotR, would you be in the Mechanic business?

There's a bunch of Ontario Passat owners looking for a place to get this done, without the trek to Missouri.

I would think that VDubTech should be able to do this..in Toronto just off 400 north of 401...But no parts are available in Ontario!????? Well for that matter anywhere it seems.

sschnath January 12th, 2009 09:50

I had a dealer that I trust quote ~$3300 for a complete rebuild of the timing belt area (including water plump and tensioners), new serpentine belt, plus the balance shaft replacement parts included in the Impex kit.

It worked out to $2072 for parts and tax and $1100 for 12 hrs of labor. They believe this to be worst case and think the labor could come down some when they actually do the job. They've never done the job so I doubt it would come down much. They normally charge around $1000 for the timing belt work so the incremental BS work would cost me $2300. This seems reasonable and would prevent me from having to travel to get this done.

They're also willing to order the parts without any sort of up front payment from me, mainly because they're not seeing any of the BS parts in stock (which I was prepared for) and they have no idea how long it will take to get them.

I'm going to have a second dealer quote it but I'm pretty sure they'll come in a few hundred dollars higher and I'm sure they won't order the parts without advance payment.

maktas January 13th, 2009 07:48

I got a call from my extended warranty company, probably to offer an extention on the current plan, I wasn't able to talk to them yet (they left a message), but what do you guys think it? I guess it will depend on how much they are asking, but it could be a good hedge against a $3000 parts and labor BS replacement work. Its kinda a cynical to hope that the chain will break.

aja8888 January 13th, 2009 07:52

Well, if the chain does break, it can be the end of the engine (crankshaft and rod bearings fail, no lubrication to the top end, etc. That can cost a lot but the extended warranty may cover it. Do you have faith that it would is the question?

oilhammer January 13th, 2009 10:03

We just had a Passat W8 in here with a bad chain tensioner/cam phaser assembly, and that extended warranty company would not cover it. So I would not 'depend' on that type of scam.

leicaman January 13th, 2009 10:25

The W8 sure sounds like one expensive motor. So if you think the BHW is expensive with its BS bs, just think how tight a W8 is in a Passat engine bay. Gives me the willies just thinking about it.

oilhammer January 13th, 2009 11:54

Not all that tight actually.. But it is expensive. Nearly $20k for one, and there is not anything serviceable on the longblock (in other words, if it needs a valve job, you get to buy a new engine).

DickSilver January 13th, 2009 13:14

I studied the option of going ahead with a 100K timing belt replacement and buying an "extended warranty" that looked to be from a reputable outfit. Their requirements were extensive in terms of the maintenance I must perform, all MUST be done at "licensed" repair/service shops. They limited their coverage to $3300 on the engine and $6000 total on the car during another 100K/5 year driving interval.

I decided that using the extended warranty to bet that the chain & BS module would fail but then cost less than $3300 after a catastrophic failure, and NOT have them weasel out of the warranty was the wrong way to go about things, so I have bought the geared BS kit from Impex and am having my local independent shop do the work.

vw4life January 13th, 2009 13:21

Dick, when is your upgrade scheduled to take place? Please advise us of the capabilities of your local shop after the car has been returned.

aja8888 January 13th, 2009 13:31

DickSilver: have you received your balance shaft kit from Impex yet? I have one on order but they appear to be having problems obtaining the parts.

Thanks,

Tony

outthere January 13th, 2009 17:42

Mine goes to www.4induktion.com on monday. Ordered the kit from Impex (thru Induktion). Should arrive tomorrow (they are across town from Impex).

Does it make sense to measure before after vibration with a vid clip of a cup of coffee at idle?

I get slight steady oscillations now. I dont think I have a failed or failing BS and I dont hear any noise. Not even convinced I couldnt wait another year. But I'd like to hang onto the car, I like the ride, don't know what I'd replace it with that I'd like more, and cost the same. And it might leave me in the boondocks if it fails.

Worth the investment of 2-3k to go another 100k. (Let's hope & pray...)

DickSilver January 14th, 2009 04:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by aja8888
DickSilver: have you received your balance shaft kit from Impex yet? I have one on order but they appear to be having problems obtaining the parts.

Thanks,

Tony

aja8888: I spoke with Impex yesterday. My order with them was placed about a week ago. They said they had six geared BS module kits coming in; they were in Los Angeles and would arrive at Impex in Maryland this Friday 16 Jan, and subsequently ship out to me. They said that the six kits were all they had in the pipeline right now, and more would have to be ordered direct from Germany. I forgot to ask if all six were already sold to customers.

There is one thing I like about dealing with Impex. The folk who answer the phone are real USA people (English as a first language) who are knowledgeable about cars, not some poor ignorant call-center people.

aja8888 January 14th, 2009 07:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by DickSilver
aja8888: I spoke with Impex yesterday. My order with them was placed about a week ago. They said they had six geared BS module kits coming in; they were in Los Angeles and would arrive at Impex in Maryland this Friday 16 Jan, and subsequently ship out to me. They said that the six kits were all they had in the pipeline right now, and more would have to be ordered direct from Germany. I forgot to ask if all six were already sold to customers.

There is one thing I like about dealing with Impex. The folk who answer the phone are real USA people (English as a first language) who are knowledgeable about cars, not some poor ignorant call-center people.

Thanks Dick; I spoke with them yesterday also and was told there were 9 kits in route (but maybe he looked at the "6" upside down for me)..:D

I put my order in on the 6th of January and at that time was told they were expected on the 9th. But at least they are in route. Hopefully, we are on the top of the list.

Thanks again,

Tony