TDIClub Forums

TDIClub Forums (http://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php)
-   VW B5 Passat TDIs (http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   BHW Balance Shaft Module replacement (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=233651)

oilhammer July 21st, 2009 14:49

Or drive it to me, get it done for less, properly, by someone who has done a boatload of them. :p

MOGolf July 21st, 2009 15:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOM69Z
I have a 2004 model, 70,000 miles. After reviewing the proceedure, I called the VW dealer, they quoted $3400 to do the timing belt and the module parts labor out the door for 3400, but anyway, since they have never done one, how confident can i be that it will be done right?

I am paying them their huge $900 markup on the parts because they give a 12mo 12k warranty on work and parts that way. Anyway, if i cant trust them to do it RIGHT, and I'm not willing to do this job myself, I guess its get rid of the car time..... I'm dammed if i do and dammed if i dont. Vw ought to be ashamed of themselves here. I cant justify 3400 for preventative maintaince items, I guess its car shopping time.

Most, if not all, of the mail order places that supply these parts will give you a 12mo/12K mile warranty on the parts too. The person installing will have to state their labor policy.

Zambee500 July 26th, 2009 06:34

Well, got a call yesterday from local guru, and the BSM replacement was finished up yesterday, and I'm picking up the car this afternoon. Can't wait to hear the difference.

FWIW, when I asked if he thought my car was noisy, he indicated not very and that he's heard worse. When I had the TB replaced last fall by a different guru, he said he didn't hear anything at all out of the ordinary and that it sounded fine. The car did seem to me to get a bit noisier the past couple of months. Turns out the left (??) tensioner on the OEM chain-driven BSM was broken. So consider this one a failure and therefore a repair/replacement and not an "upgrade".

volkswagendude July 26th, 2009 07:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zambee500
.............FWIW, when I asked if he thought my car was noisy, he indicated not very and that he's heard worse. When I had the TB replaced last fall by a different guru, he said he didn't hear anything at all out of the ordinary and that it sounded fine. The car did seem to me to get a bit noisier the past couple of months. Turns out the left (??) tensioner on the OEM chain-driven BSM was broken. So consider this one a failure and therefore a repair/replacement and not an "upgrade".

Considering that it had a broken part inside, therefore considered a failure, what was your odometer reading again for stat purposes?

Zambee500 July 26th, 2009 08:52

Right around 105,000 miles. I'll look again when I pick the car up this afternoon. Actually, I think I got ahead of myself, so consider my previous post "preliminary" until after I pick up the car and have a chance to speak in person with the TM who replaced it. It's possible I misunderstood, or didn't get it exactly right, from the phone call yesterday afternoon. I'll verify and re-post this evening.

KALaBenne July 26th, 2009 11:59

Quote:

Right around 105,000 miles. I'll look again when I pick the car up this afternoon. Actually, I think I got ahead of myself, so consider my previous post "preliminary" until after I pick up the car and have a chance to speak in person with the TM who replaced it. It's possible I misunderstood, or didn't get it exactly right, from the phone call yesterday afternoon. I'll verify and re-post this evening.

Please do! I believe the TM you speak of is not too far from me, and I am most interested to find out if I can have it done right without having to drive to St. Louis.

Can't wait to hear some details,

Zambee500 July 26th, 2009 15:49

OK, so my car had 106,691 miles on the odo at the BSM replacement. (It's now got another 45 miles on it. :D) Roger Feldt south of Atlanta did the job, and an excellent one at that. The car is considerably quieter with the geared BSM. No doubt about it. It's sort of funny though, it's not as much a black & white difference as much as shades of grey (albeit, several different shades). It is noticeably quieter though, especially at idle and low neighborhood speeds with the radio off. Also, keep in mind that two different TMs, as well as my own ignorant opinion, think that my car wasn't overly noisy before the chainectomy. Roger said others have driven up in their Passat TDI making a racket, and mine wasn't that bad. So other folks with noisier situations will probably notice much more of a noise improvement than me. Also, the chain tensioner assembly was indeed cracked/broken on the OEM chain-driven BSM, so that is probably why the noise increased in the past couple of months. Anyway, glad to get this one behind me, and the job was being done the same day I learned the ceramic GP was recalled. So I'm much happier now with the car, and it's easier walking around now that my wallet is much, much lighter and not slowing me down. :rolleyes:

leicaman July 26th, 2009 16:50

Good going and welcome to the chainless B5.5 division of the club! :)

volkswagendude July 26th, 2009 16:55

Quote:

OK, so my car had 106,691 miles on the odo at the BSM replacement. (It's now got another 45 miles on it. :D) Roger Feldt south of Atlanta did the job, and an excellent one at that. The car is considerably quieter with the geared BSM. No doubt about it. It's sort of funny though, it's not as much a black & white difference as much as shades of grey (albeit, several different shades). It is noticeably quieter though, especially at idle and low neighborhood speeds with the radio off. Also, keep in mind that two different TMs, as well as my own ignorant opinion, think that my car wasn't overly noisy before the chainectomy. Roger said others have driven up in their Passat TDI making a racket, and mine wasn't that bad. So other folks with noisier situations will probably notice much more of a noise improvement than me. Also, the chain tensioner assembly was indeed cracked/broken on the OEM chain-driven BSM, so that is probably why the noise increased in the past couple of months. Anyway, glad to get this one behind me, and the job was being done the same day I learned the ceramic GP was recalled. So I'm much happier now with the car, and it's easier walking around now that my wallet is much, much lighter and not slowing me down. :rolleyes:

So yours was one of the quieter ones, but yet still had a cracked chain tensioner. This is not good news at all :(

Zambee500 July 26th, 2009 17:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by volkswagendude
So yours was one of the quieter ones, but yet still had a cracked chain tensioner. This is not good news at all :(

I personally can't say that mine was one of the quieter ones, because I don't have much in the way of point-of-reference. I never compared mine to another TDI. But I'm going by what the two TM's said 9 months apart. I will say that the noise increased in the last couple of months, but at first I wasn't sure if it was the A/C and related fans that were the cause of the noise after the heat down here picked up. I think it was a combination, to a certain extent, but it is definitely quieter now than it was when it had a chain. I can definitely say one of the chain tensioners was broken - Roger showed it to me.

Lug_Nut July 27th, 2009 04:52

There are two plastic guides in the chain tensioner. Only the left (driver's) side is "adjustable" and is the one to create / maintain the tension. It has oil pressure pushing on the piston to take up the slack.
The one on the right side is just a guide and is relatively fixed in position.
Well, I mean "fixed in position" until the casting to which the wear guide is mounted breaks.....

oilhammer July 27th, 2009 05:45

Yeah, then it becomes "broke out of position" :o

PlaneCrazy July 27th, 2009 05:56

And then the owner just becomes plain broke contemplating the $10k bill for a new engine with upgraded BS.

I was parked next to a new Mazda 3 yesterday, a base model. Pretty sharp looking little car for a base model, and the dealer is only 10 min. from where I live compared to 1 hr away. On paper anyway, not much difference in fuel consumption compared to a B5.5

Yeah I know it ain't the same class of car, but I'm talking essentially second car here, the 2.0T wagon is the main family hauler.

MOGolf July 27th, 2009 14:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lug_Nut
There are two plastic guides in the chain tensioner. Only the left (driver's) side is "adjustable" and is the one to create / maintain the tension. It has oil pressure pushing on the piston to take up the slack.
The one on the right side is just a guide and is relatively fixed in position.
Well, I mean "fixed in position" until the casting to which the wear guide is mounted breaks.....

Actually, it is a spring providing the pressure. The oil that goes through there lubricates the piston and spring.

oilhammer July 28th, 2009 04:36

It has an oil pressure fed piston that tensions the chain, just like every other chain tensioner I have ever seen. The spring is just an assist to keep pretension on the shoe during times when oil pressure is not present (like during start-up, etc.).

That is why if you squeeze the tensioner back in, oil spits out the back side...which most recently went straight into the FACE of an extended warranty adjuster who was 'examining' broken parts on one (like he really knew what he was looking at :rolleyes: ).