TDIClub Forums

TDIClub Forums (http://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php)
-   VW B5 Passat TDIs (http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   BHW Balance Shaft Module replacement (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=233651)

CsTDI December 19th, 2008 08:12

Aren't the service intervals established in the manual that come with the vehicle considered part of the sales contract, at least in good faith?

What if the reason that you bought a car was that the manual that came with a particular car, and confirmed by their service dept., told you that there was absolutely zero service on the car required until 100k and sometime after you purchase it, they revised it to say, that wasn't correct, the belt needs to be replaced at 80k... It seems to me that without official notification by the manufacturer that there is a manual change, at their cost, that they can't do this.

Lug_Nut December 19th, 2008 10:15

Then you go to court and sue for breach of contract, or intent to defraud, or loss of value or some other cause. They counter with their written "reserves the right to change specifications", statements in your copy of the manual and you're SOL.
If the dealer has provided a written conformance to suitability for purpose, such as a claimed zero maintenance construction) then the dealer, not VWoA, is the guarantor.

CsTDI December 19th, 2008 12:23

The services section of the manual is either important or it is not. I don't think you can have it both ways.

Court? Not me, it would cost me alot more to go to court than the relative difference in changing the belt 20k early. However, a class action over damages, if enough occurred, could make a difference.

I guess I am just coming to terms that the big VW corporation with the great commercials, vehicles, likeability, and loyal followers, protect themselves with contracts (on our behalf no doubt :rolleyes: ) and who already has a well paved method of communicating with purchasers of its vehicles is not very likeable or loyal themselves when it comes to letting purchasers know about a known concern that has caused them to significantly change a spec. that can bury your car prior to its expected lifetime. (same with the BS assembly)

How about a letter that says based on service dept. data, customer concerns, belt manufacturer recommendations,... "we are revising our specs. so change your belt at 80k not 100k" Is that too much to ask? I suspect that they would rather not draw attention to this issue and are probably betting that the "class" of belts will make it to 100k.

I don't think the "let's not give them heartburn" dept. made this decision

owr084 December 19th, 2008 15:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by outthere
Has anyone considered the following idea?

Find 6 B5 owners in your area. Buy 6 BS modules. Rent a shop for a weekend. Fly in OH/MOGolf for a weekend GTG and split/share costs.

It seems like it would be easier to fly them in and work on 6 cars at once than to have 6 cars drive a couple thousand miles RT for a repair.

I like my car and dont think its unreasonable to sink 2500-3000 bucks into a car that will make it last another 5 or more years. I'm not sure I can explain a 1700 mile road trip from MD to St. Louis though.

I've thought about that too when the time comes.

OH/MOGolf - what kind of facility would it take? How many lifts would be needed to complete 6 changeouts? Does the work need to all be done on a lift? If so, then 3 lifts would be needed for two days?

TheGrove December 19th, 2008 16:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by owr084
I've thought about that too when the time comes.

OH/MOGolf - what kind of facility would it take? How many lifts would be needed to complete 6 changeouts? Does the work need to all be done on a lift? If so, then 3 lifts would be needed for two days?

Read the thread B5 BHW engine noise Revisited. OH goes into detail there about his tools and that he won't do the work without them and it is prohibitive to ship his multiple chests of tools. This is one of the big reasons for the Feb weekend meeting in St Louis so he can do a bunch of cars and have access to his full assortment of tools - beyond what is required for just this job.

oilhammer December 19th, 2008 17:54

It is much more realistic for people to bring their cars to me as Bill stated.

Skidor December 19th, 2008 18:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGrove
Read the thread B5 BHW engine noise Revisited. OH goes into detail there about his tools and that he won't do the work without them and it is prohibitive to ship his multiple chests of tools. This is one of the big reasons for the Feb weekend meeting in St Louis so he can do a bunch of cars and have access to his full assortment of tools - beyond what is required for just this job.

Anyone own a shipping business? I wonder how many B5's we could fit on a trailer....

abctdi December 20th, 2008 07:24

Believe it or not, I'd rather drop it off at the dealer under warranty. I'm still at 54k miles and live across the country from the gurus.

DeliveryValve December 20th, 2008 08:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skidor
Anyone own a shipping business? I wonder how many B5's we could fit on a trailer....

I've been wondering for a while too and would like to go that route if I need it. I am at 55,000 miles and have another 45,000 miles left on my warranty. Hopefully a needed warranty fix would be corrected with the right parts. :confused:

aja8888 December 20th, 2008 08:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeliveryValve
I've been wondering for a while too and would like to go that route if I need it. I am at 55,000 miles and have another 45,000 miles left on my warranty. Hopefully a needed warranty fix would be corrected with the right parts. :confused:

I wonder what kind of failure would get you into the extended warranty? Chain break/destroy engine?

Sprocket December 20th, 2008 09:08

I'm wondering as well. If the chain fails though and since they aren't made anymore, wouldn't they have to pony up and pay for the new gear design? Here's another question, does it have to fail in order for them to cover it? Mine is making noise now, is that enough or do I have to have a complete failure?

Route 66 December 21st, 2008 19:12

VW and the extended warranty companies deal only with failures not speculation. The shop that put in my BS had told me that if the warranty company did not cover whatever that problem was that I was looking at $1000.00 to drop the oil pan.

maktas December 21st, 2008 19:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonh
I'm wondering as well. If the chain fails though and since they aren't made anymore, wouldn't they have to pony up and pay for the new gear design? Here's another question, does it have to fail in order for them to cover it? Mine is making noise now, is that enough or do I have to have a complete failure?

This is the dilemma I am in. My extended warranty will expire mid next year, so I plan to do a last ditch effort and sit down with my stealership's service manager and make him undestand this issue and argue that there is engine noise that was not solved with a new water pump and say that the BS has to be changed. Its worth a shot, but I think the better senario is if the chain breaks BEFORE the extended warranty runs out.

The bottom line is that VW needs to stand up and admit they put a junk BS design into an otherwise great engine, and issue a TSB so that we can all get the BS that needed be in in the first place. This is exactly like my old 1994 Intrepid.... the 3.3L engine was excellent, the issue was the the junk 41TE/42LE tranny that needed an overhaul every 60k.

maktas December 21st, 2008 19:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Route 66
VW and the extended warranty companies deal only with failures not speculation. The shop that put in my BS had told me that if the warranty company did not cover whatever that problem was that I was looking at $1000.00 to drop the oil pan.

How did you get them to change the BS, did you just argue that there was a noise?

Route 66 December 22nd, 2008 09:39

Originally, I heard this noise. It was incorrectly diagnosed from three separate VW Dealerships as the power steering pump. I felt that they were wrong. So, a friend recommended an unknown shop to me that he had used in the past and was happy with. I took my car there and once the BS was off, he knew it was the hex shaft. So he called Fidelity (the warranty company). They sent someone to the shop to confirm the damage and give the ok to proceed with the repair.