TDIClub Forums

TDIClub Forums (http://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php)
-   VW B5 Passat TDIs (http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   BHW Balance Shaft Module replacement (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=233651)

IndigoBlueWagon February 7th, 2009 19:19

Lug_Nut, I'm happy that you (barely) averted disaster. Stranded beside the road in February isn't fun.

FWIW, I talked to my local dealer about getting the list of parts from this thread, and was told they are all readily available. Unfortunately their pricing isn't very attractive. I wonder what would happen if I actually ordered a set. I have a Canadian customer who's currently traveling in the US who is approaching 100K miles and wants to get this service done.

tomo366 February 7th, 2009 20:01

Damn! I am glad you made it OK Jon!! That is good to know! I hope you trip home is uneventful!!

Route 66 February 7th, 2009 21:48

What would the odds be that MoGolf would be in the same hotel, have a safe trip back home.

aja8888 February 7th, 2009 21:56

Got a call from Steve Glover (mtbr297) in Fort Worth a while ago. My Passat BS chain drive has been replaced with the helical gearing upgrade and the car is purring like a kitten. ;) He did a TB 100K kit and trans service also.

I'll be picking it up later this week as I have a short business trip to make Monday (Louisiana). I will post pictures of any parts that have significant damage or wear.

Edit to add pic:

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g1...8/NewGears.jpg

Tony

leicaman February 8th, 2009 08:30

Looks like its going to last a long time. Say does anyone have an image of the oil pump chain at the same angle as aja8888's but with the stock gear setup, so I can add them to the document on how to tell the difference?

aja8888 February 8th, 2009 08:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by leicaman
Looks like its going to last a long time. Say does anyone have an image of the oil pump chain at the same angle as aja8888's but with the stock gear setup, so I can add them to the document on how to tell the difference?

You may want to check back in the thread(s) as OH or MOGolf may have posted one. I'll be putting up pics of the old parts mid next week.

Tony

oilhammer February 8th, 2009 09:07

Another one apart today...this one has a broken chain tensioner as well. 84k miles, looks like it has been broken for a while. :o

whitedog February 8th, 2009 09:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by oilhammer
Another one apart today...this one has a broken chain tensioner as well. 84k miles, looks like it has been broken for a while. :o

Broken in the same spot?

johnboy00 February 8th, 2009 09:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by oilhammer

Time to get those complaints off to VW and NHTSA!

I'm glad everyone made it out there OK.

It looks like you have evidence that the parts can fail with the car still operating properly just waiting for the moment when BAM! .... all hell breaks loose.

sschnath February 8th, 2009 10:36

I've posted a couple of times (as recently as yesterday) that I didn't think I had enough data yet to justify spending the money on this fix proactively.

I think I got the justification I needed this morning when I started the car with the sunroof open (a very nice day for February in Maine) and heard a pretty loud rattle that subsequently disappeared after 20-30 seconds. I can't imagine it being anything other than chain related.

There was some discussion about posting some sound clips here and I wanted to make a comparison but I've done some searching and haven't found any. Are there any clips posted? I'd really like to verify it before I call the dealer tomorrow morning.

deming February 8th, 2009 10:41

Call the VW dealer? Uh HUH! :confused: :confused:

VeeDubTDI February 8th, 2009 10:46

Hopefully I'm wrong, but I don't think calling the dealer is going to do you any good.

The new gear upgrade looks great. Why couldn't they have just done that from the factory? ;)

aja8888 February 8th, 2009 10:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeeDubTDI
Hopefully I'm wrong, but I don't think calling the dealer is going to do you any good.

The new gear upgrade looks great. Why couldn't they have just done that from the factory? ;)

Point one: Right On!;)
Point two: You will not get an answer here or at VAG! :rolleyes:

DeliveryValve February 8th, 2009 10:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by leicaman
.....Say does anyone have an image of the oil pump chain at the same angle as aja8888's but with the stock gear setup, so I can add them to the document on how to tell the difference?

Quote:

Originally Posted by aja8888

Here is one that has the chain sproket and without the oil pump from http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=223941

That I got from an even earlier thread...

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeliveryValve

The front of the engine with the right balance shaft end exposed.
http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/medium/BHW_004.jpg

jennogle February 8th, 2009 11:06

Noise

I just wanted to make a comment about the noise difference pre- and post- BS upgrade. I think my car had been noisy for a very long time before the chain finally went, and I'd just gotten used to it, thinking it was an "older diesel" thing I'd have to live with.

It is SO much quieter now with the gears... For example, before, when my son and I would go to the local drive-in for a milkshake, the car was so loud I'd have to turn OFF my engine to place our order through the speaker, otherwise they'd get our order completely wrong. Last week we went back and I left the car on and placed our order without any problem hearing. My 7 year old son then turned and asked me if I still had the same car! ;)

Jenn