How To: Getting that eBay cable to work!

NB_TDi

Vendor
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
Windows 2000 & XP

For Windows Vista & Windows 7 Click: Here

Alright let me be clear first, if you want to bash the use of this cable do it else where. This is a short how to on getting these things to work. I'm 100% agaisnt stealing software so if you use a full version of Vag-Com and you didn't pay....you are a very bad person!

I'm simply going to show you how to use the free, legal, demo version. That's it. This is for Windows 2000/XP. I'll make one for Vista later.

Lets get started:

Did you buy an eBay 'Vag-Com' Cable and find out it comes with zero information or drivers? Does it look like this?

If so than I 'think' I can help you. First you need the correct drivers. So don't plug it into your PC/Laptop just yet. Click the link I provided, save it to somewhere you can remember:

Driver Download 900k

You'll need to 'unzip' the files to a location then plug in your cable. Once you plug it in a dialog box will come up asking you what you'd like to do. You need to tell it where you 'unzipped' the files. Simply put in the location.

Once your drivers are installed correctly next we can move onto making sure that the cable is on a COM port that Vag-Com can understand.

So now click Start-->Control Panel--->System(In the control panel you might have to click 'classic view')

Once the system properties has loaded you need to click the 'Hardware' Tab. Once there you need to click the device manager button.

Once in there find in the list 'Ports' hit the '+' beside it.

Your cable should be listed there. Depending on what COM port is free of course. Now if it says COM 1 or COM 2 or COM 3 or COM 4 you can skip down to the testing with Vag-Com itself. If it says something like COM 18 then you need to read on!

Double click on the 'USB Serial...' That will bring up another window. Once that loads up click the tab 'Port Settings'. Then once there you need to click the advanced button.

Now you see the settings for the cable/drivers. There is a drop down list in the top middle of this window. You need to check and see if you can change a the port to either 1, 2, 3 or 4. These are the only ones that Vag-Com can understand.

If 1-4 all say 'In Use' then you need to disable somethings in the PC's BIOS. I won't explain how to do this now but I will in a update. So back on topic choose 1-4 and then hit ok until both windows are closed, then 'X' out of the rest. You might have to restart your PC after this. If so do it now or else you won't be able to test.

Once you are reStarted and all set to test load up Vag-Com. Hit the options button to the right. And then choose the exact COM port you set the cable to...and hit test.

Tada! You can now use the Vag-Com Demo! You are very limited but it's good to check codes.

---------------------------------------------
As I said before, please don't turn this into a cheap knock off cable bash. The cable I own is nothing more than a standard OBDII cable that came with nothing else. No CD, no drivers, no directions. So keep this thread clear for honest questions and comments.

This is only my first version of this how-to. I will update as I see fit and find changes that need to be updated.

PS The demo for Vag-Com is downloadable directly from Ross-Tech's Website:

http://www.ross-tech.com/

Last edited:

Jetta2001TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta
Good tutorial!

As a sidebar I would say that RossTech provides the demo version of Vag-Com 4.09, It is intentionally crippled when not propertly activated. It is a "try it before you buy" software, therefore I find nothing illegal about using it with a generic cable. If one would require functionality beyond the "demo" version, by all means one should purchase and activate the software.

I also find that this web site provides a very good cable as well as drive download, all from one site. I am not affiliated with this site.

http://www.autonostics.com/

NB_TDi

Vendor
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
Thanks!

I'm going to provide a bit more information on driver install. I just zipped through it quickly because I already did it. I will run through it better with photos. Also the install on Vista.

I bought the cheap eBay cable a while back to help diagnose my Mk3 not heating up. I wanted to make sure I had no DTC, especially since I didn't have a CEL :) I have since been using the demo of Vag-Com like nuts. I will probably end up buying a license but still, very useful.

johnnloki

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Golf TDI
So, what functionality is missing from the demo?

I think I'm one of the roughly 75% of internet dubbers who doesn't have a vag-com but would like to buy it eventually if only it wasn't the same price as getting chipped... is it prohibitively expensive? No. Prohibitively expensive relative to what the layman is aware of it being able to do? Surely. I really think if they sold the originals for <150 then they'd sell a heck of a lot more- closer to 75% having one and 25% not vs. how it is now. There's so many people waiting to pull the trigger but never quite being pushed to it- spending another 250 bucks for a toy for the car where you can't even explain to the significant other what it really does or what it's for.... that's how divorces are born.

BeartheBruce

Vendor
VCDS/VAG-COM may not be for everybody. Simply put, a factory tool for $250 can't be had anywhere. But we understand your point about price. That's why we have the old version software up on site for those who choose to make or buy an interface cable from others. Then the cost for a full version of the older software is $99. You even get to try that software as shareware for free.

What functionality do you loose? Well, you don't get coverage for cars newer than '04. You can't work on CAN based cars. All the improvements since '04 are not available to you.

Don't know what else we should do to make it cheaper for you.

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
On a sidenote, the girlfriend just bought an 09 Subaru Forester. I joined a subaru website similar to tdiclub and started asking around about the possiblity of buying something siilar to Vag-Com for the Subaru. Hitachi makes an aftermarket versionof the Subaru maintenance tool; it cost $3,200. Now THAT'S how divorces are born. lol

On a nother side note, we whine about paying $100 bucks for the Bentley CD. For the Subaru it's paper only and cost $475.

his400

TDI
2007 V10
$100 for the Ross-tech software license doesn't seem out of reach to me... Hey Bruce, you offer military discounts on packages (active duty only, none of that BS reserve/retired stuff)?

Last edited:

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
FL2AK-tdi said:
On a sidenote, the girlfriend just bought an 09 Subaru Forester. I joined a subaru website similar to tdiclub and started asking around about the possiblity of buying something siilar to Vag-Com for the Subaru. Hitachi makes an aftermarket versionof the Subaru maintenance tool; it cost $3,200. Now THAT'S how divorces are born. lol

On a nother side note, we whine about paying $100 bucks for the Bentley CD. For the Subaru it's paper only and cost $475.
If you have a Japanese car you don't need a manual or diagnostic tool. They just work.

VW owners NEED Vag-Com and thank you Ross-Tech for making something that is affordable to the general public. Imagine where we'd be without it.

Case in point: Where I work there are about 100 vehicles parked here daily. Most of them are Japanese. Everyone knows I have a Vag-Com cable. The VW owners are getting me to scan codes for them ALL THE TIME (Two people are waiting for me to do it today in fact). Japanese car owners, rarely. I have scanned a code for a Honda just ONCE and it was just a bad oxygen sensor. So even though there are fewer VW's here, I have scanned every single one of them due to a CEL, and people with any other car (American or Japanese) never need my help. I can't think of any co-worker with a VW who's car I haven't scanned because of a stupid annoying problem.

$3200 for a scan tool is fine, when you don't need it. Us VW owning suckers are very lucky that Ross-Tech makes the software and cable at a reasonable price. Paying $100 for the software to make a knock-off cable work is an absolute bargain.

wolfsburg_de

Ross-Tech AssociateVendor , w/Business number
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6MT
This information should be helpful for your How-To:

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/faq_3.html#3.3

I cannot tell you how many calls/emails I have gotten from people using 3rd party interfaces that even if they get them to "work" are not able to communicate with certain modules. Just to remind everyone:

All of our Interfaces have built-in Activation so the user can install VAG-COM on as many different PC's as you'd like (the eBay ones do not). All of our Interfaces work with the latest versions of VAG-COM including Release 805 (the eBay ones do not - if they function at all, you'd be limited to versions of VAG-COM that are up to 4 years out of date). We offer CAN-Bus support on some of our Interfaces to work with the newest VW/Audi models while the eBay ones do not. All of our Interfaces use a custom-designed diagnostic port connection specially made for VW/Audi applications (generic shells like the ones it looks like they are using on eBay are not made to the same specifications and may not fit some VW/Audi models correctly). All of our Interfaces come with a 1 year guarantee, and we stand behind both our hardware and software with live human tech support via telephone and email located in the United States. Good luck getting any assistance from anyone if you buy some 3rd party cable and have problems with it.

Please feel free to reply if you feel that anything I have written above is incorrect.

Chubber

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
wolfsburg_de said:
This information should be helpful for your How-To:

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/faq_3.html#3.3
That was a great help. I had tried a bazillion ways to get it to talk, then saw your post and tried an earlier version and it finally worked. I am still not 100% clear on optical vs non-optical, but I got one of the prior versions to work.

Ill probably buy the full-up versions soon, but all I needed right now was to clear the CEL.

Satiro

Veteran Member
TDI
IBIZA 1.9TDI 110hp AFN 1998
I've connected to Vagcom one time with the Alpha-bid cable... now, i can't to connect again... i used the drivers in the alpha-bid page and the drivers you showed in your post and nothing...
I choose different com ports and nothing... what version of vagcom do you have?i tried with versions 3.11, 409US and VCDS...don't work any of them... i believe that the time i could connect with the car was with the 3.11 version but i'm not sure...

when i make the com port test with ignition car on,vagcom show a message like this:

Com Port status: ok
interface status: Found!
through pass serial
obdII/opto no compatible
Fast synch: No

If i make the com port test with the car no connected to the cable:

COM Port status: OK
Interface status: 3 - Not Found or not Ready!

Cable seems to connect but not at all.

PLEASE, I NEED SOME HELP... i know that this cable can work beacouse one time i could...

Last edited:

Satiro

Veteran Member
TDI
This is the exact message vagcom shows me:

Port Status : OK
Interface : Found!
Type : Serial Pass-Through
Opto/Iso: No
RossTech Design : No

I'm using version 311-2. Why cable is recognized by Vagcom but i can't connect with my engine? I have all the wires of the OBD connector in my car out of it. I connect each wire in the correct pin of the diagnosis cable. If i only connect 12v+ and ground, vagcom shows me the same message... can be a K-line or L-line problem in my car? how can i fix it?

nighthawk62

Veteran Member
TDI
BANNED
I have not found anything yet that I wanted to do and couldn't with Vag-Com 409 and my EBay cable.:cool:

WVU TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE 6m
I believe my Alpine head unit is messing with mine, haven't checked into it yet though.

Satiro

Veteran Member
TDI
BeartheBruce said:
Are you sure the cable is good? Have you tested it on another car?
When i bought it, i could to connect one time and change my IQ... after that, i can't to connect it...

nighthawk62 said:
I have not found anything yet that I wanted to do and couldn't with Vag-Com 409 and my EBay cable.:cool:
can you help me with this please? what version of vagcom 409 have you?

smokyTDI

TDI
2001 VW Golf
wolfsburg_de said:
(...)I cannot tell you how many calls/emails I have gotten from people using 3rd party interfaces that even if they get them to "work" are not able to communicate with certain modules. Just to remind everyone:
(...)
Good luck getting any assistance from anyone if you buy some 3rd party cable and have problems with it.

Please feel free to reply if you feel that anything I have written above is incorrect.
i don't get you point, i mean i understand you try to sell your product, but $250 for a cable + licence is a bit pricey for someone like me who is going to use it 2-3 times. i don't mind paying for software, it takes time to develop, and it is the actual functional part of your product, but cable is a cable... as long as it has all the pins and cables a $15 cable from ebay should physically be identical to your $250 cable (- licence), therefore it should do the same job. When i connect DynoJet PowerCommander to my PC, their sw doesn't care what cable i use. same with any digital camera... in fact i cannot think of a single piece of equipment connectiong to PC via USB cable, that would not work with generic cable.
so, other then the licence, what is so special about this cable? does it have more pins then the ebay one? or more wires inside?
I was about to purchase your licence (i have an ebay cable already), but now i'm having second thoughts... not worth $99 if you cannot guarantee it will work with generic cable, is it now?

BeartheBruce

Vendor
smokyTDI said:
i don't get you point, i mean i understand you try to sell your product, but $250 for a cable + licence is a bit pricey for someone like me who is going to use it 2-3 times. i don't mind paying for software, it takes time to develop, and it is the actual functional part of your product, but cable is a cable... as long as it has all the pins and cables a $15 cable from ebay should physically be identical to your $250 cable (- licence), therefore it should do the same job. When i connect DynoJet PowerCommander to my PC, their sw doesn't care what cable i use. same with any digital camera... in fact i cannot think of a single piece of equipment connectiong to PC via USB cable, that would not work with generic cable.
so, other then the licence, what is so special about this cable? does it have more pins then the ebay one? or more wires inside?
I was about to purchase your licence (i have an ebay cable already), but now i'm having second thoughts... not worth $99 if you cannot guarantee it will work with generic cable, is it now?
The interface cables supplied by Ross-Tech have a fair amount of electronics hardware in them that allow the PC to communicate with the car. The electronics provide you the consumer with two major functions: protection for your PC and your car in the event of a problem in either, and the adaptable communications timing required to "speak" with the modules in the car. The electronics also allow us to put the license into the interface so that all the software license problems of dealing with dead hard drives and so on can be put behind all of us.

It is your choice to operate with our free shareware and an ebay cable. Wolfsburg was just pointing out that the other vendors of interfaces do not support their product with the level of electronics Ross-Tech does nor do they supply the quality product we supply. Further, they do not participate in forums like this one and try help you get the information you need to work on your car. They sell you a cheap cable and then send you off to figure out what to do next. If it were not for Ross-Tech and our product, we would not even be having this conversation, would we?

And for the record, it is not just wires. Please go ahead and wire the USB port directly to your car. Watch for the white smoke that will come out of your lap top. :cool:

Last edited:

nighthawk62

Veteran Member
TDI
BANNED
Satiro said:
When i bought it, i could to connect one time and change my IQ... after that, i can't to connect it...

can you help me with this please? what version of vagcom 409 have you?
I'm using 409.1-s

Satiro

Veteran Member
TDI
I can't understand it... i used all versions, drivers, com configurations in windows, checked fuse and obd connector in car...Cable worked one time...:confused:

nighthawk62

Veteran Member
TDI
BANNED
I did have trouble the one time when I plugged the cable into a different USB port on the laptop than I had used the first time I set it up.

T'sTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
nighthawk62 said:
I did have trouble the one time when I plugged the cable into a different USB port on the laptop than I had used the first time I set it up.
I second this, I always have to plug mine in the same USB to get it to work.

Satiro

Veteran Member
TDI
I tried all and nothing... i believe that isn't the cable... if i connect the cable beetween car and pc and make the vagcom test,message showed is the same that if i only connect the cable to pc:

Port Status : OK
Interface : Found!
Type : Serial Pass-Through
Opto/Iso: No
RossTech Design : No

what i must to test in my car? which can be the problem in my car?

nighthawk62

Veteran Member
TDI
BANNED
I'm just going off the top of my head here and if I get a chance I'm gonna go out and hook it up to see exactly what messages come up. From what I can remember though after you see that message you should be able to hit "OK" and then "SAVE" and you should be good to go but this is just going off my fuzzy memory.