11 JSW TDI > 15 Wrangler Rubicon > considering going back to a JSW

emerscape

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Lux
This might be a long story and a bit too much information but easiest to articulate. Bought my 11 TDI JSW brand new back in 2011. I had wanted one forever, we had just had our first baby and I was doing 30k miles a year in a 2000 Jeep Cherokee. Drove the 11 for 5 years, put 125k miles on it, had another kid (2013) and then was offered the buy back. Took the buy back and bought myself a 2014 Grand Cherokee. Drove that for a year and a half and decided to have a mid-life crisis. Went out and traded my Grand Cherokee for a 2015 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 6spd about 6 months ago. Put 35s on the Wrangler and now getting 14mpg on my 45 mile daily commute and I'm starting to regret it. I love driving it around town but it isn't the best on my commute and I have a feeling I'll be driving much more in the coming year. I also may be getting divorced. I'm quite the mess.

My kids both play club hockey so I'm driving them to separate rinks 2-3 days a week, driving to games every weekend from Rhode Island to Maine. I love the time with them (although I'd rather be skiing with them). Looking to the end of hockey season (April/May) I really want to do a lot of mountain biking trips with them up to NH and VT (400 mile round trips) and skiing in between travel for games next winter. While it would be awesome to have the top off the wrangler in the summer, the reality is I can't drive over 75 on the highway and I'm just throwing away money on fuel.

The only thing that is hanging me up on moving back to a JSW is not having 4wd in the snow, having to deal with another set of snow tires and being low to the ground. I've considered a Touareg but they are unicorns in the NE. There are plenty of inexpensive Audi Q7 TDIs but I've read nightmares about the electrical and maintenance aspects of them.

So getting to the point of my ramblings...
  • I've noticed a lot of "fixed" JSWs come up for sale locally. There is a 2012 6spd for $10k with 40k miles locally. Any ideas how many vehicles VW is going to fix? Should I pick up a good deal now or will there be a steady stream of fixed TDIs coming back into the market?
  • Has anyone else gone through this where you've gone back and forth on vehicles due to MPG? Anyone come from a Wrangler Unlimited?
  • Thoughts on Audi Q7 TDIs?
  • Am I the only one that goes through these types of things in their head constantly? Maybe I just need a hug. ha.

Last edited:

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
Or do what I did after the buyback.
1. Bought a gas guzzler such as yours
2. Purchased a $200 Japanese commuter car that gets over 40 mpg.

I drive said gas guzzler when I have my weekend or when theres over 6" of snow.

I see mid 90's Camry's for sale for under $1k quite often.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
Touaregs may be rare, but they are out there. They sound like they might be the best fit for you since I don't see a need for 3rd row. Its sort of the diesel version of the Grand Cherokee. Nice to drive and ride in if you demand AWD.

For similar economy/money to the Toureg you could also look at a GSW 4Mo or Alltrack.

ToBiN

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Sportwagen TDI/M6; 2006 Dodge 3500 Cummins/M6 Mega Cab; 2011 Jetta TDI/M6 (sold)
.... may be getting divorced.....

• I've noticed a lot of "fixed" JSWs come up for sale locally. There is a 2012 6spd for $10k with 40k miles locally. Any ideas how many vehicles VW is going to fix? Should I pick up a good deal now or will there be a steady stream of fixed TDIs coming back into the market?
  • Has anyone else gone through this where you've gone back and forth on vehicles due to MPG? Anyone come from a Wrangler Unlimited?
  • Am I the only one that goes through these types of things in their head constantly? Maybe I just need a hug. ha.
Emerscape,

First off, sorry to hear about a possible divorce. Been there, done that, just know there is light and life at the end of the tunnel.

Secondly, sounds like you love your Jeep and still require a winter or Off road vehicle. The problem I realized is no manufacturer makes a good for everything vehicle. Its either SUV or AWD with horrible MPGs or great MPGs but can't haul anything, tow anything, transport anything besides 1 or 2 mid sized people, or is horrible in winter.

I suggest, if you can swing it, find a 2006 - 2009, 1.9L TDI, as your daily and keep your Jeep. My friend has a 2006 1.9L TDI/DSG in a 150k mile Jetta and makes better mpgs than my 2011s or my 2013 CR TDIs. You can find those 1.9L TDIs that do not require the "fix" cheaper than the "fixed" 2.0L TDIs. This way you have a great MPG car for work and your jeep reserved for the winter driving and weekend off-road play time. For what its worth, I keep a 2004 Escalade ESV for my winter weather family hauler. Its damaged on the passenger side but what do I care? Its just something to drive when I can't drive my diesels.

Thirdly, no, you're not the only one with these back and fourth issues. Idle hands cost me dearly. It seems I'm always looking for the next best thing or the next best deal. When I turned in my 2011 TDIs on the buyback I actually searched nationwide for a Diesel Cruze and bought one. 32k miles, made 40 - 45 mpg. But after having my Cruze for only a year I longed for a JSW TDI/M6 and bought one of those too. I still have my Cruze, its for sale, but sometimes wonder if I made the right decision to go back to VW.

Best of luck with your divorce, hopefully it goes fairly and good luck with whatever you decide as far as vehicles.

emerscape

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Lux
Emerscape,
First off, sorry to hear about a possible divorce. Been there, done that, just know there is light and life at the end of the tunnel.
Secondly, sounds like you love your Jeep and still require a winter or Off road vehicle. The problem I realized is no manufacturer makes a good for everything vehicle. Its either SUV or AWD with horrible MPGs or great MPGs but can't haul anything, tow anything, transport anything besides 1 or 2 mid sized people, or is horrible in winter.
I suggest, if you can swing it, find a 2006 - 2009, 1.9L TDI, as your daily and keep your Jeep. My friend has a 2006 1.9L TDI/DSG in a 150k mile Jetta and makes better mpgs than my 2011s or my 2013 CR TDIs. You can find those 1.9L TDIs that do not require the "fix" cheaper than the "fixed" 2.0L TDIs. This way you have a great MPG car for work and your jeep reserved for the winter driving and weekend off-road play time. For what its worth, I keep a 2004 Escalade ESV for my winter weather family hauler. Its damaged on the passenger side but what do I care? Its just something to drive when I can't drive my diesels.
Thirdly, no, you're not the only one with these back and fourth issues. Idle hands cost me dearly. It seems I'm always looking for the next best thing or the next best deal. When I turned in my 2011 TDIs on the buyback I actually searched nationwide for a Diesel Cruze and bought one. 32k miles, made 40 - 45 mpg. But after having my Cruze for only a year I longed for a JSW TDI/M6 and bought one of those too. I still have my Cruze, its for sale, but sometimes wonder if I made the right decision to go back to VW.
Best of luck with your divorce, hopefully it goes fairly and good luck with whatever you decide as far as vehicles.

ToBin - thanks for the kind words. Glad to hear I'm not the only crazy one. You bring up a really good option. There is an 06 Jetta stick TDI with 125k for around $5k locally. It would be nice to have another car when one is in the shop or to tinker with. I'm going to run the numbers on that.

ToBiN

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Sportwagen TDI/M6; 2006 Dodge 3500 Cummins/M6 Mega Cab; 2011 Jetta TDI/M6 (sold)
ToBin - thanks for the kind words. Glad to hear I'm not the only crazy one. You bring up a really good option. There is an 06 Jetta stick TDI with 125k for around $5k locally. It would be nice to have another car when one is in the shop or to tinker with. I'm going to run the numbers on that.
Sounds like a good deal as long as everything checks out. I heard timing belts are due around that mileage so see if its been done or if they will do it before you take delivery.

Best of luck.

emerscape

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Lux
Actually found a bunch of JSW 2.5 SEs locally for very cheap. I like that engine and I know it is bulletproof. Mileage isn't as awesome as a TDI and I can't tune it but might be a consideration. I do like the 2 yr bumper to bumper warranty on a post fix TDI

emerscape

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Lux

I've been hunting that for a little while. With my uncertain situation, I'm not sure I want to take on something that I can't pay cash for. In fairness I did mention Q7s and considering Touaregs. I should go look at it. Just had back surgery last week (seriously can't make this stuff up) so not able to drive for another week. Hopefully it will still be there when I can drive again.

BTW haven't seen your blue jetta wagon around town in the longest time. Are you still driving it? Hope all is well.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Call over there and talk to Paul or Steve Hilsdon. Tell them that Peter sent you.

IBW is still going strong. Just about to hit 380K miles. I have a '15 GSW but it tends to sit in the garage with a battery tender on it.

The Touareg tempts me but the last thing I need is another car I don't drive.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Also, Paul will work with you to find a bought back TDI at a reasonable price. If you look on his site he has a few now, and is buying them regularly. He tends to go for the higher mileage cars that are inexpensive, and then replaces tires, brakes, flushes fluids, etc., before delivery. And he likes to buy cars with manual transmissions. I've seen JSWs in the $10K range.

emerscape

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Lux
Also, Paul will work with you to find a bought back TDI at a reasonable price. If you look on his site he has a few now, and is buying them regularly. He tends to go for the higher mileage cars that are inexpensive, and then replaces tires, brakes, flushes fluids, etc., before delivery. And he likes to buy cars with manual transmissions. I've seen JSWs in the $10K range.
Thank you I really appreciate the offer to use your name. I'll give him a call tomorrow.

AllieJetta

TDI
2014 GSW 6M/TDi Wolfsburg
emerscape:
Firstly, I hope that if things don't work out and you go the Divorce route, I hope it goes as smoothly and fairly as possible. I was in a 15 year relationship that ended in divorce back in 2013, I know how you're feeling and know that things get better.

Next! Former Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Owner x3 here. I buy them, realize how terrible the fuel economy is and how unpractical they can be and trade or sell them for something different. Before I bought the last one, I test drove a TDi Golf and really really enjoyed it, but ended up in the Wrangler instead. I just traded my JK for my current Golf Wagon TDi and have never been happier. Other than the lack of 4WD available, everything about the wagon is better. More usable space, better fuel economy, great ride and handling, more features, etc. Not looking back.

Regardless of what you do, best of luck. We're always here to help if you need it.

emerscape

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Lux
emerscape:
Firstly, I hope that if things don't work out and you go the Divorce route, I hope it goes as smoothly and fairly as possible. I was in a 15 year relationship that ended in divorce back in 2013, I know how you're feeling and know that things get better.

Regardless of what you do, best of luck. We're always here to help if you need it.
Wow you guys are really the best. I appreciate all of the kind words and support. This week got away from me due to some work issues coming up (even though I’m out on leave). I really truly loved my JSW, my only issue in the winter is that I had it lowered on sport springs and a skid plate so i got stuck everywhere. Outside of that it was hands down the most comfortable car I’ve owned. I think my plan right now is to follow peter’s advice and call the folks over at Paul Clark. Ideally I’d like to keep my JKU through the summer so I can at least have one full summer of top off, doors off, driving on the beach fun and then moving to a JSW. Based on my calculations, even picking up a $10k JSW TDI will put another $650 back into my pocket on a monthly basis between car payment and fuel.l savings. That’s a nice chunk of change. Circumstances may force that plan to change sooner than later but it will be good to be connected on the dealer side. I had a great relationship with the service folks at my local dealer (coastal VW) but it will be nice to get squared away in the sales side. I’ll keep you guys updated on what I end up doing.

KeyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagon
On the Divorce stuff... been there, done that... twice...:eek:
I will say that life gets better with experience... I'm in a LTR with an amazing woman for 11 years now... Every day is a blessing.

That's what you need in your life, and if you can't fix what you have, it's better for everyone, to call time, and get out.
Divorces are painful, and expensive... but sometimes they are worth it!

Read my thread to find what I paid for a 2012 JSW with 120k...:eek:;)
I'm lovin my new ride...
Really wanted a MT, but the DSG is a blast.... I just wont be able to tow it behind my Motorhome flat.

They are out there, dont be in a rush.

ToBiN

Veteran Member
TDI
is that to replace the jeep or add to your fleet?

emerscape

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Lux
is that to replace the jeep or add to your fleet?
To replace the jeep. I don't think I'm ready to pull the trigger on anything yet. Might go look at the touareg and JSW to get a feel for them again and see what my JKUR is worth on trade. I did spin up the idea of buying a Q5. Seems like I can find a few 2015 Q5 TDIs for ~$25k with everything I want in them. I know it is a smaller vehicle but they seem to get around 33mpg which is decent.

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 6 Speed manual
Just an FYI. If she has filed you may want to hold off on doing any purchases as this will become community property. I'm waiting for mine to be over and then pulling trigger on bmw 335D. Just my .02 cents off my .50 cent chain. Hang in there, t*ts or tires you are going to have problems =]

emerscape

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Lux
Quick update here - ended up picking up a 2012 Touareg TDI Lux CPO with 72k miles on it this weekend. Traded the jeep for it (my son cried about getting rid of the jeep) but it just made too much financial sense not to. Happy to be back in the tdiclub!

DBubba65

TDI
2012 JSW
I was in the same predicament as you. I bought a 2015 Jeep JKU in 2015 and began modifying it for offroad use. Once I started this habit it quickly turned into a 2.5 lift with 37's locking front and rear axles, etc.. Fuel economy was not the primary concern but fast forward two years. I was asked to take a position 230 miles from my home. I didn't want to uproot my family right away so I started exploring vehicles that delivered good fuel economy, comfortable for long drives and had enough room for my 160 Mastiff which I occasionally take with me. I had never owned a VW but had always wanted a TDI. I did my research and learned all about the buyback cars that were being fixed and re marketed. I landed on the JSW and found a great deal on a California car here in North Texas.
In July of this year I have decided to leave my company and took a job only 14 miles from home. Its a great car and is really not needed but I can't bring myself to sell it. I only fill it up every 2-3 weeks and its easy to park and navigate it traffic and power to merge on freeway etc. It was cheap to buy and cheap to keep and also keeps miles and wear and tear off my off road capable JKU.

If you can swing it I would buy TDI for a daily and keep the JK for weekends and an occasional trip to work. Your tax and insurance situation may not be favorable like ours is in Texas but I would give it serious consideration. The JSW is relatively simple reliable and pretty roomy and comfortable. The fact their engines are covered by the sweet extended warranty is an added bonus and provides piece of mind.

Good luck with your decision...

This might be a long story and a bit too much information but easiest to articulate. Bought my 11 TDI JSW brand new back in 2011. I had wanted one forever, we had just had our first baby and I was doing 30k miles a year in a 2000 Jeep Cherokee. Drove the 11 for 5 years, put 125k miles on it, had another kid (2013) and then was offered the buy back. Took the buy back and bought myself a 2014 Grand Cherokee. Drove that for a year and a half and decided to have a mid-life crisis. Went out and traded my Grand Cherokee for a 2015 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 6spd about 6 months ago. Put 35s on the Wrangler and now getting 14mpg on my 45 mile daily commute and I'm starting to regret it. I love driving it around town but it isn't the best on my commute and I have a feeling I'll be driving much more in the coming year. I also may be getting divorced. I'm quite the mess.
My kids both play club hockey so I'm driving them to separate rinks 2-3 days a week, driving to games every weekend from Rhode Island to Maine. I love the time with them (although I'd rather be skiing with them). Looking to the end of hockey season (April/May) I really want to do a lot of mountain biking trips with them up to NH and VT (400 mile round trips) and skiing in between travel for games next winter. While it would be awesome to have the top off the wrangler in the summer, the reality is I can't drive over 75 on the highway and I'm just throwing away money on fuel.
The only thing that is hanging me up on moving back to a JSW is not having 4wd in the snow, having to deal with another set of snow tires and being low to the ground. I've considered a Touareg but they are unicorns in the NE. There are plenty of inexpensive Audi Q7 TDIs but I've read nightmares about the electrical and maintenance aspects of them.
So getting to the point of my ramblings...
  • Thoughts on Audi Q7 TDIs?

Last edited: