Someone hit my hood. Process to fix?

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
I bought a 2015 Passat TDI SEL 2 months ago and have had bad luck with it. Nothing has been the cars fault, nor mine. A month into owning it a rock hit my windshield and broke it, so I'm getting that replaced.

Now on Tuesday when i got home I noticed I had two bad dents on my hood. I know it wasn't there in the morning, but didn't notice it when I left. I also know I didn't hit anything on the way home, because I would have definitely felt it.

Basically what had happened was I went back and watched the security cameras at work. Someone came into our parking lot, stole an AC fan motor, and as they were leaving I guess they were losing their grip and lost control of their bicycle. I was the very last car near the road and when he lost control he veered torwards my car and hit it with the fan motor. He didn't fall, so he just grazed it, but it did damage. Now this is school board property, so it's considered vandalizm, which is good news for me, because the schools insurance will pay for it.

My only problem is I don't know if that is something they can fix, or would it require a whole new hood? I'm going to go to a body shop next week and find out. I was told the hood was aluminum and it would need a whole new hood, so I'm assuming it's going to be somewhat expensive to 'fix.'

Bad footage as the camera isn't great quality, and I recorded off my cell phone. The vertical video doesn't help either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5u3GYm7YgNg

Last edited:

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Now this is school board property, so it's considered vandalizm, which is good news for me, because the schools insurance will pay for it.
I think you answered your own question what difference does it make as to how expensive or how hard it is to fix or replace? Just get a new hood and send them the bill.

Last edited:

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
looks like you will come out of that pile smelling like a rose, that video was an incredible stroke of luck.

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
looks like you will come out of that pile smelling like a rose, that video was an incredible stroke of luck.

Well I knew it had to be at work. The only reason I didn't see it at work was because when I got back into the yard I came walking from the building and put my stuff in my passenger side, which you can't see it from that angle (and I wasn't expecting to see anything). Then when we left I did walk around to my driver door, but as I turned to go to my door I was just trying to leave, so I wasn't looking at my hood, only my door handle. Inside the car you couldn't see because of the angle.

As soon as I got home I took about two steps and saw it. It just stood out. I driving 62 miles on my way back home, but I know I would have felt something hit me with the damage that was on my hood.

I actually went back and watched it on Wednesday because I though it was a Waste Management guy next to me (saw him parked to me when I came into the yard at 3pm). I wasn't in control of the camera, so the tech just kinda skipped around towards the end. I really wasn't happy and was going to let it go, but I talked to my supervisor again later that Wednesday afternoon. He said he would have the tech show me how to work the camera so I could spend as much time as I wanted on it (I have an awesome supervisor).

This ended up happening about 50 minutes from where the tech started watching it on Wednesday. I am grateful the camera caught him doing this because I'm covered now.

I guess it doesn't matter what it cost to fix it, but your replies did answer my question, even if there is a fix, don't do it and just have the whole hood replaced. That will be the only result I will settle for since I risk the chance of it not looking good if there is a fix.

Thank you.

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
Hood is fixable. Not worth the time to fix considering the cost of an undamaged A grade hood is $300.

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Okay, so I went to a VW Collusion center and they told me the hood is fixable. They will also have to paint the driver fender, which is good, because there is a small scratch on there. I wasn't going to nitpick, but I didn't want to have to deal with that later on if it were to become more of an issue. This quote was $738.

I still kinda want the hood replaced, so I'm going to go talk to another body shop. If they say they'll replace the hood, then I'll probably go with them. If they say they can fix it, then I'll just go with the VW Collusion center.