EXTENDED Waranty for HPFP 2012

XLexusTech

TDI
2003 Jetta Silver sold 2012 JSW Red
I have a 2012 never thought i would consider an extended Warranty but I am considering it. Can I do that with 5K miles on my car? Bought it about 2 months ago,

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I believe you can do it with up to 10k miles, but check with your dealer to be sure. Also read all the fine print and make sure that it actually covers the HPFP. Also, remember that it is not really an extended warranty - it is an insurance policy and it is usually a money maker for VW and your dealer. Do a search here for "extended warranty" and you will find lots of discussions about the pros and cons.

Have Fun!

Don

ss~zoso~ss

Veteran Member
TDI
2010-Jetta-TDI-DSG-Salsa Red
I'm not sure what others have done or their views on it, but it is deff a money maker for them.

Basically you're betting them (VW) that their product will break, and you're putting down 2 grand or so on that bet. Either way your loose.

But yes, there are obviously many pros as well (piece of mind)

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
A. It is a service contract, not a warranty (an important legal difference in some states, I am told).
B. Make sure it actually covers what you want it to.
C. You can buy it at any time as long as you are still under the factory warranty.
D. See member 3193, who is a salesman and gives a discount to forum members.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=203380

Bill

jbright

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG
I just received a letter from my dealership offering to sell me "an extended service contract" as my original factory warranty is nearing expiration. They say "As vehicle repairs become more complex, the likelihood of unforeseen and costly repairs increases with the age of the vehicle." Ain't that the truth.

BrShootr

Veteran Member
TDI
MKVI JSW
You can have an extended service contract OR an extended warranty. One is for services like oil changes and others to be performed by the dealer, the other covers malfunctions with whatever systems covered. You can buy them at any time, even after the original warranty has expired, but the price goes up considerably at that point.

sgoldste01

Veteran Member
TDI
None; Replaced 2010 Golf TDI with 2012 Subaru Impreza 5-door with manual tranny
Don't bother. Huge waste of money. The chances of you having this problem are extremely small. And if you do have this problem, then you will see by reading the threads that VW is more willing to fix this problem no-questions-asked now than they were a year or so ago. Why pay big money for an extended warranty when VW would fix the problem themselves without the warranty?

Now take the money we just saved you and go buy yourself that big flat-screen TV you've been wanting. :D

Stallhorn

TDI
2011 sprotwagen
I ended up getting Geico MBI at a cheaper price for a longer period of time - 7 years/100k miles. Worth checking into.

sgoldste01

Veteran Member
TDI
May I ask what you paid for the Geico MBI coverage? And what does MBI stand for?

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
MBI is geicos mechanical breakdown insurance and it's usually less than 10 bucks a month , covers up to 7 years 100k ! I have this as well and it covers everything !

Dariof

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI
I ended up getting Geico MBI at a cheaper price for a longer period of time - 7 years/100k miles. Worth checking into.
I did the same. Cost me around 60 dollars every 6 months. Less expensive than buying a dealer's warranty policy, but you have to have a Geico auto insurance policy insurance as well.

You also have to buy it within the first 15,000 miles on the odometer...so some may not qualify. As it turned out, the Geico auto insurance was less expensive than most others anyway, so it was a good deal.

Last edited:

oxford_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf '11
The chances of you having this problem are extremely small.
I find this questionable since more than one person here has reported multiple failures—Dweisel, for instance.

I am not a statistician, but I assume that when such a small pool of respondents includes multiple examples of people with multiple failures, the failure rate can be considered higher than "extremely small".

There is also the issue of the high price tag of a fuel system replacement.

oxford_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf '11
Basically you're betting them (VW) that their product will break, and you're putting down 2 grand or so on that bet.
Isn't VW betting also that the product will break by only giving it a rather short warranty period?

If VW feels the fuel system is so secure, why not provide something like a 200,000 mile warranty on it? Even 100,000 miles suggests more faith than the current warranty period.

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
IMO if vw feels this pump is a wear part they should give a interval for of replacement of the pump and if it does blow before that time period they should be liable for all the collateral damage it causes to the fuel system .... It's a piss poor design for any one part to cause this kind of expensive repair !

BrShootr

Veteran Member
TDI
MKVI JSW
Isn't VW betting also that the product will break by only giving it a rather short warranty period?

If VW feels the fuel system is so secure, why not provide something like a 200,000 mile warranty on it? Even 100,000 miles suggests more faith than the current warranty period.
The issue is, do you think it is so likely to fail that you'll be one of the few ones which had that issue?

Wouldn't it be cheaper to just put an aftermarket HPFP if that's all you're concerned about?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)

mysql

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta wagon
I have a 2012 never thought i would consider an extended Warranty but I am considering it. Can I do that with 5K miles on my car? Bought it about 2 months ago,
When they claim you put gasoline in your tank 2 fillups again and deny coverage, you won't be happy.

sgoldste01

Veteran Member
TDI
I find this questionable since more than one person here has reported multiple failures—Dweisel, for instance.

I am not a statistician, but I assume that when such a small pool of respondents includes multiple examples of people with multiple failures, the failure rate can be considered higher than "extremely small".

There is also the issue of the high price tag of a fuel system replacement.
I think I've read that the percentage of people experiencing this problem is less than 3% on 2010 TDIs, and the percentage goes down from there as the model year gets more recent. The OP has a 2012. I'd say his odds of a HPFP are very low.

Consumer Reports gives the TDI an above average reliability rating. Keep in mind that readers of CR are generally less, shall we say, fanatical about their cars than we are on this forum. We read and discuss our cars. We put additives and biodiesel in our cars. We know about the TSBs that VW issues before most dealers do. We're fanatics.

As such, we take better care of our cars than the average consumer. I'm thinking that me running B2 in my car decreases my chances of a HPFP failure. And yet, the CR data coming from average consumers (who aren't as informed as we are) shows that the TDI has above average reliability.

You mention the high price tag of a fuel system replacement. But I keep reading stories recently that people who do have HPFP failures are getting those repairs done without a big battle from the dealer. Apparently VW recognizes a problem, and they're being good about it. So it might have a high price tag for VW, but not for us owners.

So I'll save my $$ and not buy an extended warranty. You should do whatever makes you comfortable.

ERE

TDI
2012 Jetta SportWagen
Even if the percent is 1/2% that is extremely high risk considering the cost to repair. Risk is a two part equation. It is the probability of an occurrence times the severity of occurrence. If the severity is high, even a low probability of occurrence makes for a high risk. I also believe that 1/2 percent is a very high probability. If you had a 1/2 percent overall failure rate on your car, you would consider it unacceptable. That would be like having it not start once every 200 days when you got up to go to work.

Its kinda like Dirty Harry. Do you feel lucky today? I purchased the extended warranty for peace of mind. It's the first time I've ever done that and I know that the manufacture statistically will make money on it, but if I'm one of the unlucky ones who get stuck with a $8K repair bill the manufacturer will lose and I will win. Anyhow, the point of this long winded post is that it is a personal choice based on ones personal evaluation of the risk (not probability - risk). I'm happy with my choice even though it won't be the right choice for others.

mysql

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta wagon
I think I've read that the percentage of people experiencing this problem is less than 3% on 2010 TDIs, and the percentage goes down from there as the model year gets more recent. The OP has a 2012. I'd say his odds of a HPFP are very low.
The % goes down because those vehicles have less miles on them. Most 2010's are going to be around 30k miles. If you think it's worth bragging that a 30k car doesn't YET have a $8,000 repair bill, you are out of your mind.

There is no "fixed" HPFP available for this vehicle. You cannot avoid it with any MY.

As such, we take better care of our cars than the average consumer. I'm thinking that me running B2 in my car decreases my chances of a HPFP failure. And yet, the CR data coming from average consumers (who aren't as informed as we are) shows that the TDI has above average reliability.
None of that means anything. You can premix with biodiesel, visit the best fuel stations and still have failure. The failure can happen at 2,000 miles, it can happen at 55,000 miles. Most seem to happen somewhere in the middle. This will change as the fleet of TDIs shift to having higher mileage.

There is nothing you can do to remove the possibility of failure.

You mention the high price tag of a fuel system replacement. But I keep reading stories recently that people who do have HPFP failures are getting those repairs done without a big battle from the dealer. Apparently VW recognizes a problem, and they're being good about it. So it might have a high price tag for VW, but not for us owners.
This is only useful advice if you're leasing the vehicle or selling it as soon as the warranty expires. If this is your plan, you would have saved money by not buying the TDI to begin with.

VW does not have a history of taking care of their customers, especially with retrofitting fixes.

I have no hope that VW will make things right for current owners, so chances are low that I'll be keeping my JSW beyond the warranty period.

TimeTrap

TDI
2011 6M TDI
I did the same. Cost me around 60 dollars every 6 months. Less expensive than buying a dealer's warranty policy, but you have to have a Geico auto insurance policy insurance as well.

You also have to buy it within the first 15,000 miles on the odometer...so some may not qualify. As it turned out, the Geico auto insurance was less expensive than most others anyway, so it was a good deal.
For the record, to qualify you also must be the original owner. At least that's what the geico rep told me on the phone a few days ago. (Also found out you can keep paying for the coverage up to 7 Years/100,000 miles, whichever comes first.)

Dariof

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI
For the record, to qualify you also must be the original owner. At least that's what the geico rep told me on the phone a few days ago. (Also found out you can keep paying for the coverage up to 7 Years/100,000 miles, whichever comes first.)
Yes, sorry I forgot about that. :)

The warranty after 7 years will have cost about $800, and Geico will have to be kept for the full time.

Waynoooo

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
If you have USAA you can purchase MBI insurance for around 800 and roll it into the loan for the vehicle...once again, first owner,less than 20K, etc. There are options out there.

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
I would assume that with the Geico plan, you could cancel the MBI if your car hits 100k before the 7yr limit?

enki

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 VW Golf TDI
If you have USAA you can purchase MBI insurance for around 800 and roll it into the loan for the vehicle...once again, first owner,less than 20K, etc. There are options out there.
How are you getting $800? I have USAA, and have been a member for about 13 years, with two cars insured, banking and IRA accounts with them.

When I got a quote for the extended protection coverage, they said it would be like $1600 for the 6/72k is $1147 and the 6/110k is $1624. That's for my 2011 Golf TDI.

That's what they're quoting me now (at 12 months and ~12k miles), and it is about the same as when I asked for a quote when I first bought the car.

I *really* wish they would offer a similar program like Geico's. Instead of a lump payment upfront, do the ~$10/month. I have actually been debating switching to Geico just for this. Not to mention that Geico would be ~$100 less every six months for the same coverage. I'm trying to be loyal to USAA (since I do love them), but they are making it hard...

Dariof

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI
How are you getting $800? I have USAA, and have been a member for about 13 years, with two cars insured, banking and IRA accounts with them.

When I got a quote for the extended protection coverage, they said it would be like $1600 for the 6/72k is $1147 and the 6/110k is $1624. That's for my 2011 Golf TDI.

That's what they're quoting me now (at 12 months and ~12k miles), and it is about the same as when I asked for a quote when I first bought the car.

I *really* wish they would offer a similar program like Geico's. Instead of a lump payment upfront, do the ~$10/month. I have actually been debating switching to Geico just for this. Not to mention that Geico would be ~$100 less every six months for the same coverage. I'm trying to be loyal to USAA (since I do love them), but they are making it hard...
-Loyalty and love are emotions.
-Insurance companies are in business for $$$$, not love or emotions.
-Emotion & love towards an insurance company prevents you from making a good business decision.
-USAA would not show you any loyalty or love (because they're emotions, not business).

Go with what's best for YOU!!! :)

enki

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 VW Golf TDI
-Loyalty and love are emotions.
-Insurance companies are in business for $$$$, not love or emotions.
-Emotion & love towards an insurance company prevents you from making a good business decision.
-USAA would not show you any loyalty or love (because they're emotions, not business).

Go with what's best for YOU!!! :)
While my earlier comment was being slight facetious, the fact is that I do love the level of service and customer support that USAA provides. Not only have I never had any issues with them, but on the occasions where I had a problem that required their assistance, it was handled exceptionally well.

If you have ever had USAA, or if you read the reviews of them, I think you will understand.

And actually, yes, USAA does show loyalty. Not only do they offer annual dividends back to it's members based on it's profitability every year, but they also reward long time members with special discounts and rewards.