PAG Oil

traviso

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
What viscosity to use for my a/c compressor. I have a 2001 Jetta TDI. How much do I fill the drier and how much do I fill the compressor.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Assuming you have a Sanden SD7V16, then PAG 46 or the Sanden SP-15, or the VW G 052 154 A2 (or what supersedes it.)

The last time I used a PAG 46 oil from Advance Auto.

I might try a PAO oil instead of PAG, next time.

Though Sanden only recommends SP-15 Sanden oil.

Your whole system should have 135-150 cc total. (30 cc per fluid oz.)

Put all the oil in the compressor, but if you are replacing the compressor and the drier only (not flushing the system) add
50% for compressor = 70 cc
10% for drier = 15 cc.

So I would add 85 cc or 85/30= 2.83 oz. to the compressor before evacuating the system.

Sanden repair manual for a compressor somewhat similar to the SD7V16.

SD7V16 exploded view and parts list

Sanden SD Compressor Service Guide

traviso

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
thanks man. I feel smarter than ever. this will be my first a/c job and all of your posts have been a great help.

traviso

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
one more question. I plan on flushing out the system before I install all the parts. So after I put on the new parts with the oil inside. Will evacuating the air take out the new pag oil. if so, can you put new pag oil in with out having the comprssor off?

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Evacuating with no refrigerant will not remove any oil.

So add the oil JUST before evacuating, if using PAG oil from a pour can. You can add it earlier with PAO oil, because it does not pick up water.

If you are flushing the system, ensure you flush well, and remove all the flushing agent completely - no residue, before adding the oil.

And if you are flushing the entire system then you must add 135 to 150 cc of oil, and you can add it all to the compressor. Just make sure the compressor turns easily by hand after putting in the oil.

hevster1

Vendor
TDI
98 NB
traviso said:
What viscosity to use for my a/c compressor. I have a 2001 Jetta TDI. How much do I fill the drier and how much do I fill the compressor.
Do NOT put ANY oil in the drier. The compressor is the ONLY component which needs a significant amount of oil. Many new and re-man compressors already have the proper amount of oil in them. Consult the supplier to make sure. Too much oil is not good either. make sure you put the drier on last. Do not expose it to air for more than 15 minutes otherwise the dessicant will be full and you can toss it in the garbage. Flush the system with both of these off the car. A inline filter is not a bad idea if you had a compressor lock up.
Evacuate the system for AT LEAST 1 hour and preferably 2-3 hours or more. You will get better efficiency and lower vent temp. DO NOT charge with a can of sealant.

streeker02

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf TDI
hevster1 said:
Evacuate the system for AT LEAST 1 hour and preferably 2-3 hours or more.
Several good points here, but this one is often overlooked IMHO. The longer you can evacuate, the better the results will be.

traviso

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Dan,
Just wanted you to know I got the compressor working and I now have A/C. Thanks for you help.

Now for the fan replacement. do you have a link for the drivers side fan? I noticed it wasnt working and I am going to "try" to repair but just in case.

Thanks again

traviso

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Got both fans running. Now the low side pressure is really high. I think my compressor may have crapped out. it still turns easy. all the paint came off the face plate of the clutch. does that sound like an issue you have had before?

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Check the clutch coil resistance, and see what happens when you put 12 v across the two clutch wires.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=242699 look at the links in post #1 for troubleshooting.

Your low side pressures should be the same as the high side pressures, since your compressor is not engaging. Depending upon temperature, somewhere close to 90 psi or so. You can get the pressure for a given temperature online or in the link above.

traviso

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Nothing... not sure if i am using the meter right though. Is the coil somthing that can be replaced?

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Yes, the coil can be replaced fairly easily.

To check resistance, you put the meter on the OHMS scale, it has a symbol like a horseshoe. Then touch your meter leads together, it should read near zero ohms.

Then put the leads across the two wires going to the electric clutch on the side of your compressor. It should read about 4 ohms.

traviso

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I will check when I get home. Replying from an iPhone is not the best way to go. Once again, thanks for the help.

Travis