Timing Belt

NevadaVandal

TDI
2001 Golf 4 cylc TDI
Is there a timing belt replacement requirement for the 2001 Golf TDI at a particular interval?
Thanks

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Is there a timing belt replacement requirement for the 2001 Golf TDI at a particular interval?
Thanks
I believe the original 2001 TB interval was 80k miles (up from 60k miles in 2000 for a manual transmission, 40k miles for the automatic).
If it's changed on schedule and using the newer belt and large roller the interval has been extended to 100k miles. Most belt makers also have a time limit although none is mentioned in the service schedule in the owner's manual.
I still adhere to an 80k mile interval myself. I don't put a lot of miles on juggling between the two TDIs and the other vehicles. Also the shorter interval will probably only add one extra change in the expected life of my cars.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
If my car was a 2001, and it recommends 105k, I'd probably do it at 90-ish.
I'm pretty paranoid about the TB.
Tell us about your golf dude.
http://www.vaglinks.com/Docs/VW/MaintenanceSchedules/VW_2001_Maintenance_Schedule.pdf
The 1.8T engine timing belt interval was 105K miles (at least on the Passats). Many, many of them failed before then, but with the 100K engine warranty they were covered unless the car was in the 100-105K twilight zone. The TDIs were not ever that long of an interval until 2003 (100K).

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Thanks
Yes, do it before it breaks!:D

Since no one can really predict the future with sufficient enough accuracy one can only go by the intervals given by VAG and the component manufacturers. A problem is is that the intervals have changed (because the components have changed), and it's hard to say what is currently in the car. Lowest common denominator would be the safest guideline to go by, and that is that the interval for the 2001 cars was 80k miles: my 2000's TB was changed during previous ownership and the dealer installed an older belt, one spec'd for the then lower mileage belt (I am pretty sure that at the time of the job the 100k mile belts were also available).

Keep in mind that there's also an age factor. Rollers and such aren't really affected by age BUT the belt IS. This is a bit less exact, but industry standards tend to suggest somewhere between 5 and 7 years.

If in doubt CHANGE it ("them" - belt and components AND water pump). Replacement after failure becomes a LOT more expensive.