Headliner replacement

hover_one

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta '03 GLS TDI Navy Blue
I could use some advice...

I'm replacing the headliner in my B4. I went to an auto upholstery shop and bought the material and the high-temperature adhesive, I spent today getting the headliner out of the car.

I've peeled the fabric off, and now I'm cleaning the orange goop that was the old foam and adhesive, but it's just not coming clean--

1. How clean does this need to be?

2. How can I get it that clean?

3. Will the actual headliner go back in any easier than it came out?

I re-learned the first rule of the VW:
if it looks easy, you're doing it wrong.

I look forward to any and all advice... Thanks to all!

John

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
John,
I can't provide any real help, but I wanted to offer words of encouragement. You are braver than I in tackling this yourself. If it indeed turns out to be "easy", I'd be interested in hearing tips. Either way, please share your experience.
Thanks!

AndyH

Registered Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'97 Passat Wagon 410K RIP
John, I didn't do mine, but helped the guy remove and clean the old headliner. He used a couple of medium-stiff brushes to remove the old foam and glue. They were like rounded scrub brushes with handles. Could also use a fingernail brush.

Some of the cars have a pressed fiberglass-type backing which is supposed to be a real challenge to keep smooth - the fiberglass material comes out with the glue and foam. Other pans are a pressed material that looks like masonite - that brown tempered pegboard. My headliner backing was the brown material and it cleaned very easily - just kinda scrubbed off the old foam and glue.

Good Luck! You have more guts than I had!

hover_one

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta '03 GLS TDI Navy Blue
I did the job, and it actualy looks good, Got to catch a plane, I'll fill in the details another time. Thanks for the support!

John