fob part number doesn't match model year

NewJettaOwner

TDI
2006 Jetta
Hi, I just bought a 2006 Jetta but it came with only one working key & fob. The dealer ordered a second key for me, but instead of being like a valet key it's actually the key half only of a fob set. I'd like to buy a 2nd fob to attach to the key portion, but here's the problem....the current working fob is part number
HLO 1J0 959 753 DC which apparently is only compatible with 2001-2005 Jettas. I ordered the exact part number from ebay but couldn't get it to program regardless of the different ways I tried (including the simplistic instructions in my manual.) That escapade already cost me shipping and restocking fees, so do I take another chance and order a fob that IS supposedly compatible with a 2006 Jetta but DOESN'T match the current fob part number that I own? And if I do and the new fob successfully programs, will that "deprogram" my current fob because they aren't identical? Or is it most likely that at some point the current fob case broke and someone put the insides into the older (and cheaper) case version?
Thanks for your thoughts!

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
You are correct that the DC part number is incorrect for your vehicle. That is only for MkIV vehicles as you mentioned.

However, there are two different part numbers for the MkV.

1K0-959-753-P-9B9 and 1K0-959-753-H-9B9. They are not interchangeable. If you would like, PM me your VIN and I can find the correct part number for your car.