Window Tint?

ThatsWhatSheSaid

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf- on the truck-2010 Jetta-Sold
If you can find a shop who will do 18% I find that to be perfect. The 15% is nice, but you better like really dark. Go 20% if you like a little more privacy and cant do 18. My .02

85_305

Banned
TDI
1999.5 Jetta 5spd
Go for it. The dark tint with the dark grey car will look great. I have 5% on the fronts, and 3% everywhere else. Looks nice with the canyon red.

deucelee

Veteran Member
TDI
'11 Jetta TDI 6MT ___ Plat Gray on Black
yeah i'd go with a 15%-20% all around for a dark gray TDI. 35% is kind of light. 50% is nothing.

ukladinla

TDI
2011 Golf
Well even though I'm a newbie on here, the first thing I did with my Golf was tint it. Now since I've only had the car a week, I tinted on Monday morning. After a few days of research both online and visiting three different shops, I decided to go with the ridiculously expensive option. I looked at the $150 tint jobs on offer all over town (Los Angeles) but couldn't stop thinking about Huber Optik. It was the best money I have spent on a car in awhile.

It's been pretty hot this week, and my car sits in my driveway baking in the sun. I get in, and I swear it's cooler in there than in my house. I've never had the A/C above 1. The interior won't fade, crack or ever get hot - and yes, it's Titan Black. Perhaps the best thing (and this depends on the law where you live) it's light enough that the cops won't pull me over, yet I get 50 times the benefit of a cheap 15% tint job.

Of course if you're leasing your car or not planning on keeping it a long time, then perhaps it's not worth the investment, but just the energy savings alone are going to more than pay for this over time.

Barnitz

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
I own the car, and plan to keep it for long time.
All the tinting places around here are about $175 for a Jetta. And all the shades of film are charcoal. No Titan Black.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
its a manufacture of tint, google

Deebeaux

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2003 Golf GLS
Our tint laws here in Louisiana prevent anything dark enough for my tastes. Our legal limit is 40% front windows, 25% rear windows (unless it's a station wagon), and 12% back window. No window can have a luminous reflectance greater than 20%.

I just had mine tinted, max legal, with Solar Gard Quantum...very satisfied with with it. Lifetime warranty, car is much cooler now.

When I was a teenager and didn't care as much about a tint ticket, I used to run 35% front/rear, 20% all back windows and quarter glass, 50% down the front window with a 20% strip across the top.

Barnitz

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Our law states 50% front side windows, none on windshield, and no limit on the back. But they aren't very strict about it. My Ranger has had 35% on the front windows since '04, never had anyone say anything.

nate379

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta
I have 2 layers of 5% on the back windows and either 15% or 20% front. Can't see through the back windows from outside.

chris_

TDI
2009 Jetta
I have 5% all the way around on my dark grey Jetta. It's illegal but you just have to pay attention. I have received two tickets in about 11 years with this setup. Used to be a $10 ticket, now it's $25.

sobots

TDI
03 Golf
I'm not a big fan of mixing tint percentages, so I'd say 15% all the way. Just be mindful of where you are driving. I did 30%, but would have liked to have gone darker. I know that certain municipalities I drive through can get a little ticket-happy.

penman236

TDI
'09 Jetta SportWagen 2.0 TDI
I had my 09 JSW windows tinted 20% when I first go it in Oct. 08. Have not had any problems with bubbles or pealing. Work was done by a shop that has been in business over 20 years. They have done 5 of my cars over the years. The only comment I can make is that it's really difficult to see out at night. I roll down a window to use the side view mirrors when backing up.

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
@Ukladinla How much was the Huper Optik install?

@penman236 what did you choose for tint? your local guy do just the $150 deal?

I'm hoping to find a reasonably priced install that isn't total sh!t I'd love the Huber Optik but it's something like $700 right? Can't do it.

DreamRyder

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Just got mine done today and love it! Did 16% all around and 3% on front windshield (top 6") for il it's not legal but I can get a dr script saying it's needed for my migraines.

Will post pics once get uploaded off phone ..a real compliment to the candy white paint.

Cost was $195 total

E.

Last edited:

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
Well I got a shop that does Formula 1 Pinnacle 35 or 40% (ceramic tint, higher rating than Llumars ATX) to quote me at $290 installed tomorrow on my wagon. Seems like a great deal, and has fairly good properties. I may go with with Airblue 80 for the front doors... unless it looks tacky.

*Formula 1 Pinnacle is rebranded Llumar or the mother company*

DreamRyder

TDI
Here are some from inside to show how it looks from inside out

Last edited:

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
What brand did you end up with DreamRyder? Looks pretty good from the inside for 16%... Pretty clear.

sackman

Veteran Member
TDI
2(2003) 2Dr ARL/ASV
Get a note from your doctor on a legal affidavit take it to the dmv and have them stamp it, you will never worry about how dark your window tint is again. Of course you actually have to have a medical condition, otherwise you can be indicted for purjury.

DreamRyder

TDI
What brand did you end up with DreamRyder? Looks pretty good from the inside for 16%... Pretty clear.
Sun guard ... I agree I was surprised how light it was from inside as well.. This was why I wanted to post pics from inside as well as outside.. Most people only put up pics from outside in and not inside out ;)

E.

DreamRyder

TDI
Get a note from your doctor on a legal affidavit take it to the dmv and have them stamp it, you will never worry about how dark your window tint is again. Of course you actually have to have a medical condition, otherwise you can be indicted for purjury.
Mine is on just the doctors letterhead with his signature and stamp.. The cops have never given me any problems as long as I keep it in the car in the event someone does pull me over.. I've lived in mi and il and both were good with this method.. Other states may require more?

E.