New paint job for my Jetta?

dalethompson

I got in an accident in December (not my fault, by the way) and it ended up my hood and driver's side front panel were repainted.

The shop I chose was great and the work was second to none but I can't help feeling that since they did such a great paint job, now I want the rest of the car done (I have a 1996 Jetta, Dusty Mauve in colour).

I really do love the colour of my car (you don't see too many of them at all) and the guy who previously owned this car really didn't take care of the exterior (scratches from things everywhere). It has also been faded on the driver's side (I think mostly from sun damage) and has the odd, small ding from other car door hitting it. Remarkably enough though, it has just two pinhead sized rust spots on it, that's all (it's been rust-proofed though by Rust Check).

So, even though I have 226,000 km's on it, do you think it's worth it to get repainted? I plan to have this car until it cannot go another foot and I really do love it to death.

Any suggestions/comments/pros & cons on my issue?

-Dale

tjl

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
Originally posted by dalethompson:
So, even though I have 226,000 km's on it, do you think it's worth it to get repainted? I plan to have this car until it cannot go another foot and I really do love it to death.

Any suggestions/comments/pros & cons on my issue?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Depends on how long you expect the car to go mechanically.

But there is a risk factor: what if you get it repainted at considerable expense, then someone crashes into it and destroys it beyond repair? While the better paint job may increase the value as far as insurance valuation is concerned, that increase is unlikely to be as much as the cost of the paint job.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Hi,

Check out my repaint photos here. The actual repaint photos are toward the bottom. Mine was done under an insurance claim. After other repaints on previous vehicles, I'm convinced the only way to do the job right is to strip the trim off. It's cheaper to tape areas off. But I had always had overspray or little "oopsies." State Farm paid around $3200 to have a total refinish done after a sandstorm. They removed the glass (except rear and rolldowns) and all trim. I'm quite pleased with the outcome. I may do it again at the 200k mark. But $3200 is a lot out of MY pocket. I may just do the hood and front fenders.

Good Luck,

dalethompson

stealth and tjl;

Thanks for the advice from both of you (BTW, nice pics of your car Stealth!)

I figure on keeping this car until she cannot go another km one day and then by then I'll be in the market for another Jetta anyway (or, I may just end up giving it to my girlfriend when I get another one in the next couple of years). Cost wise, I got a quote (from the garage that did my insurance claim recently) and the estimate to repaint and take out a couple of small dings was $1400.00 Cdn, which I figured was par for the course around here. Stealth, how come your's was $3200.00? Is that because they took everything off the car?

I will figure it out in the next couple of months as my job is coming up for an extension. If I get the job extension, then the paint job will go through. . . if not, well, then I can just wish for awhile

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Hi,

Originally posted by dalethompson:
Stealth, how come your's was $3200.00? Is that because they took everything off the car?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yes. They removed the windshield (they were replacing it anyway, so deduct $450-ish since you're not buying a new one), all door trim, the side glass from the rear doors, the windshield wipers, all rubber molding from around doors, windows, and the piece that goes over the roof, the bumpers, all lights (which reminds me, the $3200 also included the cost of new blinkers, foglights, and headlights... all of which were obviously removed), and the radio antenna.

Taping it all of would've been less expensive. But the car looks good as new. I know of some flaws that irritate me a little. But they're hardly noticeable in normal sunlight.

Take Care,

flybywire

TDI
2002 Golf
Hi All,

I'm thinking of doing a re-spray myself... Have a paint booth accesable and the equipment. I am changing the colour to grey from silver. What I want to know is the quantity of paint that I will need. How many gallons of base and clear coat.

Thanks!

snakeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta and Wagon, GLS 5sp
dalethompson check the underside of the car. If that's in good shape, and you really love your car that much, then go for it!

tomotdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Golf GLS, '00 Golf GL auto/5sp swap, '03 GL wagon ,
Jetta repaint

This Thread was from 2002....

dalethompson check the underside of the car. If that's in good shape, and you really love your car that much, then go for it!