brake booster

SPR

TDI
mk4
I just got my 01 tdi on the road and drove for about 250 km`s and suddenly lost feel of braking, stiff pedel, and the it felt fine. I continued to drive homeward with caution and had low power with a odd fell brake pedel. Home in my garage i checked all vacuum lines, vnt was still operating with my mitty vac, vacuum on the end of the brake booster pipe was 29+. pipe connected to brake booster,mitty vac to one way valve thing and 0 vac. I then disconnected the pipe from the booster and taped it off well and my turbo worked. So at this point i would say my booster is shot? If so any tips, if read about the rod to the peddle.

I all so have the stumble or rumblely fell when i come to a stop , last for about 5-10 sec. Is this where the hammer mod discription might fix? I realize i have a few bugs to get worked out,

jettaround

TDI
Silver 2001 Jetta TDI - Manual
Similar thing happened to me on Friday; funny we both have a 01. You might want to read the following post. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=87039&highlight=brake+booster+procedure

My brake booster made a pop sound when I jammed on the brakes at 30mpg. Now there is no brake assist requiring lots of leg force to stop the car. In the weeks leading up to this event, the booster was making a hissing sound only when the pedal was depressed about 80% down so under light braking it would never really hiss as far as my ears were concerned. Now it’s causing a major vacuum leak as the vacuum at idle is 28 mG with the brake booster disconnected and the vacuum pump to brake booster line closed off at the booster end. With the booster connected however the idle vacuum is around 5 mG.

Questions I have is the following:
1. Where can one purchase a genuine part besides at the stealership?
2. The original defective brake booster part no. is 1J1614105M. Is there an updated part number or new and improved part?
3. Should the master cylinder also be replaced simultaneously for the sake of having both paired up as new?
4. Has anyone ever put in a used brake booster and what was your experience with longevity or reliability?

Little info about my car:
2001 Jetta TDI, 230K miles, 8th digit in VIN is M so I don’t have ESP.

Thanks for sharing.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Try World Impex or idparts.com, just to name a couple of our on-line vendors.