Issue with Bluetooth fade in/out

rmd0311

TDI
2013 Passat SE 6MT
So... I figured I'd ask since it never hurts to.

Bluetooth on my wife's Toyota works fine when I'm listening to eBooks. On the passat every time there is a break the audio fades in/out. Is there a way to disable this. I have looked at the manual as well as perused the settings and found nothing.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated. I have been just using AUX since it works fine there. I would much rather get rid of the cable clutter.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Have your radio updated with the service bulletin that was released earlier this week and see if that fixes your problem.

VeeDubTDI said:
Technical Service Bulletin 2031136/1 <-- you must mention this number!
91-13-03 - Update Programming RCD-510 Radio (Premium 8)
Release date: Jan 11, 2013

This TSB covers all 2012 and 2013 models except Routan, Touareg, and Jetta Hybrid.

Old Software Part Number: 1K0.035.180.AE
New Software Part Number: 1K0.035.180.AF

Old software version number (2012): 0007, 0008, 0009, 0010, 0011, 0012, 0013, 0014, 0015, 0016
Old software version number (2013): 0007
New software version number (2012 & 2013): 0008

This update fixes the following problems...
  • Bluetooth audio runs in mono
  • Media player automatically starts when phone is connected to vehicle
  • Bluetooth audio level is too high

This update will take up to 2 hours.

phat7deuce

TDI
2012 Jetta SportWagen TDI
Will that TSB fix this, too? (If so...awesome.)

I've noticed this issue, but only since my iPhone 5 on iOS 6. Didn't have (or notice) the problem with my 4s on iOS 5...

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I have no idea if it will fix the issue mentioned in this thread, but it's certainly worth a shot. If not, it will still fix the other issues listed above. ;)

brent_strong

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI
It's a "feature" of the radio that seems to have been around for some time. I've tried looking for a fix or workaround, but haven't had a lot of luck.

The radio decides to stop/pause the audio stream when there are low levels of sound or dead air. Then when it detects louder audio, it unpauses...but fades in like you were saying. Drives me nuts! I hope there is a VCDS option to change this.

rmd0311

TDI
2013 Passat SE 6MT
Dropped car at dealership at 3, love my dealership. Should have it back later. I will update the thread if it fixes my issue.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I just checked after the update and the car still fades the BT input when there is no audio present.

Test it by typing on your phone with the key click noises enabled (obnoxious iPhone style ;)). You'll hear it fade up a couple of clicks into typing if you have it on BT and nothing else playing (such as typing this post with the music paused).

rmd0311

TDI
2013 Passat SE 6MT
Darn. Anyone else has any ideas. Update done, still have the BT fade.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

rmd0311

TDI
2013 Passat SE 6MT
Nope - that's just the way it works. :(
Actually, I just picked up the car this morning and it DID FIX the fade in fade out I was getting when listening to Audible.

At first I thought it was because I turned off Speed Volume thing, but I turned it back on and it was still good.

Very happy... Thanks VeeDubTDI.

The sound coming out of the BT is also ALOT better, sounds just as good as AUX.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Glad to hear that it fixed your problem! I agree - the update makes Bluetooth sound much better than it used to. :cool:

rmd0311

TDI
2013 Passat SE 6MT
Glad to hear that it fixed your problem! I agree - the update makes Bluetooth sound much better than it used to. :cool:
Spoke to soon. The particular book I was listening to was OK, everything else still has the fade in, fade out including the new book I'm listening to and music as well.

I wanted to correct it so people don't think it was a fix. If anyone else has an idea, I would love to hear it. Although, it does seem that it is by design as VeeDubTDI pointed out.

Why not leave it along like AUX.. Cause using AUX does not cause this. I hate having to use a freaking audio cable just for audible because of this issue.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Why do they pause so much? Maybe if they put some ambient music in the background... ;)

rmd0311

TDI
2013 Passat SE 6MT
Why do they pause so much? Maybe if they put some ambient music in the background... ;)
Break between chapters, break in the story, I will actually email audible. But this does not happen in my other car (Toyota Highlander), when playing via BT and it did not happen in my previous car (Mazda 6).

Oh well., maybe someone will see this one day and post a miraculous hidden solution. Until then, I will use an AUX cable and call it a day.

rmd0311

TDI
2013 Passat SE 6MT
Called the Customer Service number and they checked., and according to them, went to experts and the such. They blamed it on the phone and not on any feature of the Passat.

Figured I'd give it a try. Oh well...

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I doubt it's an issue with the phone, as my iPhone does the same thing. The head unit is obviously muting the BT input anytime it doesn't sense an audio signal - why? who knows.

If enough people complain about this issue, they'll come out with an update like they did for the mono Bluetooth audio issue. However, I don't think enough people listen to Audible over Bluetooth and will complain for VW to do anything about it.

rmd0311

TDI
2013 Passat SE 6MT
Sorry to resurface this but did not want to start a new thread. Anyone know if any new updates available. I'm still suffering from this and a year in and its still annoying as all hell. Bumper to Bumper is almost done in a few thousand miles so may as well ask before it expires.

mattfrayage

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat NMS TDI SEL Premium
Last edited:

rmd0311

TDI
2013 Passat SE 6MT
Spoke with the dealer today while doing my 30k service after 10.5 months of ownership. There is a new update for the radio, I scheduled to have it done in a few weeks before I hit the 36k.

mattfrayage

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat NMS TDI SEL Premium
Spoke with the dealer today while doing my 30k service after 10.5 months of ownership. There is a new update for the radio, I scheduled to have it done in a few weeks before I hit the 36k.
if you can get a copy of the paperwork for the update from your dealer- ours is at
HW:15
SW:3200
if you have VCDS please scan your car after the update and report back- after all, we all want to know what SW changes VW has made under the (non literal) hood
also does your car (NON-SATNAV i presume) have the under passenger seat module, or an integrated module?

Last edited:

rmd0311

TDI
2013 Passat SE 6MT
No update done. Still in the same boat.

Could there be a VCDS trick to solve this. Like a setting that says while in BT slowly increase volume between tracks. I dunno..

RobGee

TDI
2013 Golf TDI Wolfsburg DSG
I resolved this by turning off (or to the lowest - point) the Speed Sensitive Audio setting. I did this while on the highway, and the problem stopped immediately. It was noticeable using Audible for audio books and in Music with quiet spots (ie, beginning of Jethro Tull's Aqualung - first 2 guitar pieces.
I'm using an iPhone 5.

El Funko

TDI
2013 Passat SE TDI
I resolved this by turning off (or to the lowest - point) the Speed Sensitive Audio setting. I did this while on the highway, and the problem stopped immediately. It was noticeable using Audible for audio books and in Music with quiet spots (ie, beginning of Jethro Tull's Aqualung - first 2 guitar pieces.
I'm using an iPhone 5.
Unfortunately that didn't solve the problem with Audible eBooks over bluetooth for me. Still fades in at the beginning of each chapter (or after a long pause by the reader).