Different Bilstein HD's for MK V and MK VI

Cleenlivin

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan (DSG) boughtback, 2004 Jetta TDI Sedan (Tiptronic), 2004 Jetta TDI Sedan (5 speed)
I've been considering which shocks/struts to upgrade the suspension on my 09' with. I installed Koni FSD's on my 04' several years ago and have been happy but don't like those instances when the suspension feels like it was "caught off guard" such as rapid surface transitions. I know the suspension on the MK V's is much more advanced over the MK IV's which would account for many of the handling differences and have decided on going with Bilstein HD's. I thought about Koni Yellows but don't want the hassle of having to adjust them (especially the rears).
After doing a search I came across this site and post discussing the differences in valving/harshness for the Bilstein HD's/Sport's between MK V and MK VI GTI's. It seems Bilstein re-engineered the dampers between models and took out some of the harshness for the Mark VI's dampers.

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147240&page=20

My main concern was the hard ride reported by some HD users. I would like to improve my handling and maintain some degree of comfort. Hopefully these will fit the bill.

Last edited: