TDIClub Forums

TDIClub Forums (http://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php)
-   TDI News/Tech (http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   NYTimes: TDIs Are Hot Commodity (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=501522)

Nuje August 24th, 2019 11:14

NYTimes: TDIs Are Hot Commodity

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/22/b...i-resales.html

And summarized by Jalopnik.

20062015VWman September 18th, 2019 04:53

I love my diesels

I have an 06 TDI and a 2015. Both great cars, although my 2015 Golf has a lot more guts.

JSH1 February 15th, 2020 14:34

When I bought my Sportwagen the dealer had 220 fixed TDIs on the lot - 65 sportwagens alone. Today he is down to only 77 so I suspect VW is about out of them. The salesman said the dealer got $2000 per car just to take them and then the service department got paid to so the emission rework.

I wanted a 2015 but they were pretty rare at the time.

My 2014 Jetta Sportwagen TDI SE was $14,000 out the door with 33,000 miles on the clock and a CPO warranty. That is really the only reason I took a chance on a reworked engine. I loved my 2003 Jetta Wagon TDI but today diesel is more than gas and the fuel economy isn't that great.

rhinorear February 26th, 2020 08:58

but today diesel is more than gas and the fuel economy isn't that great.[/QUOTE]

Fut the wuck!!!? With a 1998 truck and a 2015 Jeep I'm pretty darned impressed with my SW fuel mileage even if diesel is more expensive

ezshift5 March 1st, 2020 05:20

From almost all measurement standards, my JSW TDI 6M really set the bar. The torque, space and fuel numbers immediately come to mind.
Enter the e-scandal and the very generous buyback. Exit the HPFP and DPF potential - probability rather low - but still a concern for this old sailor.
What to do? Accepting the buyback was indeed more painful than I anticipated. However, one of our four local dealers - with emissions scandal driven reasoning + factory discounts - practically gave me a gas Jetta with a motorcycle-sized turbo 4.
That little engine - over 30,000 miles now - has calc'd (per Fuelly) 40.8 MPG.
IMHO VW responded to the US court system much to my advantage.
Sure I miss the wagon. It was a great five years.
ez

johnsTDI March 1st, 2020 05:36

I own a 2012 TDI 6 speed manual and right now i would not trade that car in for anything great fuel economy.! comfortable heated seating, the car is a Joy to drive.! VW TDI's are cool :cool:

nwdiver March 1st, 2020 10:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnsTDI (Post 5575829)
I own a 2012 TDI 6 speed manual and right now i would not trade that car in for anything great fuel economy.! comfortable heated seating, the car is a Joy to drive.! VW TDI's are cool :cool:

I thought the exact same thing about my Jetta TDI... until I discovered EVs.

hskrdu March 1st, 2020 15:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by nwdiver (Post 5575869)
I thought the exact same thing about my Jetta TDI... until I discovered EVs.

Your discovery doesn't negate, nor diminish that of others. Each owner can, in fact, find what is cool to them- and (if your goal is to be a long-term and constructive member at Fred's) it might be best to consider less of an adversarial approach. I think EV technology is interesting, but there is not an EV that suits/appeals to me with the current tech (nor does it suit or appeal to all drivers). In the same manner, I don't advocate a TDI to interested parties unless it is a good fit for their circumstances. I appreciate your dedication and passion for EVs, but there are different cool cars out there for different people.

nwdiver March 1st, 2020 17:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by hskrdu (Post 5575915)
Your discovery doesn't negate, nor diminish that of others. Each owner can, in fact, find what is cool to them- and (if your goal is to be a long-term and constructive member at Fred's) it might be best to consider less of an adversarial approach. I think EV technology is interesting, but there is not an EV that suits/appeals to me with the current tech (nor does it suit or appeal to all drivers). In the same manner, I don't advocate a TDI to interested parties unless it is a good fit for their circumstances. I appreciate your dedication and passion for EVs, but there are different cool cars out there for different people.

I'm actually not passionate about EVs. I'm passionate about efficiency. Which is why I loved my TDI until it became obsolete from the perspective of efficient cars. If a 4 door TDI sedan came out that got >100mpg I would sell my EV and buy that instead.

Lightflyer1 March 1st, 2020 21:39

Well you must have money to burn switching cars like that. Most of us have to take into consideration the cost of buying as well. You keep jumping into threads with off topic EV comments.

nwdiver March 2nd, 2020 13:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lightflyer1 (Post 5575981)
Well you must have money to burn switching cars like that.

??? I've been driving the same car for >7 years.

Daemon64 March 2nd, 2020 16:04

I think he was just responding to your comment that you would buy something new if it was more efficient. But more to the point many of us buy diesels because they are more efficient than gas powered vehicles and we enjoy the torque and the niceties of the cars we have now. And many of us may be on longer than a 7 yrs cycle... not to say that you are. Also as i commented to you in another thread many of us and plenty of the general public do not believe that electrics are ready to meet our needs yet. It's not that we have blinders on and dont see it as an interesting or efficient technology.

For me I need my q5 for towing a travel trailer thousands of miles per year, and to move a trailer with lumber and etc... which is why I got a VW tdi as it's one of the most efficient diesels that can do it for relatively light load 4000 <. But we have an electric for where it makes sense... here 32 mile round trip to work daily.

tikal March 3rd, 2020 07:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemon64 (Post 5576146)
I think he was just responding to your comment that you would buy something new if it was more efficient. But more to the point many of us buy diesels because they are more efficient than gas powered vehicles and we enjoy the torque and the niceties of the cars we have now. And many of us may be on longer than a 7 yrs cycle... not to say that you are. Also as i commented to you in another thread many of us and plenty of the general public do not believe that electrics are ready to meet our needs yet. It's not that we have blinders on and dont see it as an interesting or efficient technology.

For me I need my q5 for towing a travel trailer thousands of miles per year, and to move a trailer with lumber and etc... which is why I got a VW tdi as it's one of the most efficient diesels that can do it for relatively light load 4000 <. But we have an electric for where it makes sense... here 32 mile round trip to work daily.

Well stated. In my view TDI vs EVs is a false dichotomy of enormous proportions! In fact I would say that the average TDI owner is much more conscious regarding efficiency of transportation vs the majority of gasoline powered vehicle owners.

Right now EVs are gradually becoming a 'low hanging fruit' for affordable city/urban focused transportation. Even, in this way, you have to do additional homework to make sure that if you buy an EV of brand x for city driving for the next so many years and you need any kind of repair/servicing you can get it dome locally. It is almost déjà vu all over again. You are going to end up needing a new list of 'Trusted EV Gurus by State' :) What a paradox!

kjclow March 3rd, 2020 08:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by tikal (Post 5576257)
Well stated. In my view TDI vs EVs is a false dichotomy of enormous proportions! In fact I would say that the average TDI owner is much more conscious regarding efficiency of transportation vs the majority of gasoline powered vehicle owners.

Well said. That is why, when the wife said, "Let's buy a full sized truck", I looked at most of them (half ton) on the market and decided on the RAM since it not only rode the smoothest but was also available in a diesel. At 35k miles, my lifetime average is around 22 with mostly city/rural miles.

atc98002 March 3rd, 2020 11:02

I would get the Ram diesel in a heartbeat, but my wife has no intention of giving up her '05 1500 short bed V-6 (before they renamed them Ram, it's still a Dodge). No towing power, bad mileage, but it only has 40,000 miles, is almost spotless, and it's used so little there's no valid justification to replace it. I can't convince her to let me replace the radio with something that has Bluetooth. No power windows, seats or door locks, just the basic base model with carpet and the auto as the only options.