TDIClub Forums

TDIClub Forums (http://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php)
-   Future TDIFests (http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   TDI fest 2019-2020 (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=496795)

13blackblack February 21st, 2019 18:08

TDI fest 2019-2020

Any interest out there? Deiselgate is largely past and maybe it’s time to move on.
I’M in Cincinnati and ready to help. Former PCA member and willing to chair a committee to get things started. Cincy has many attractions including our beloved Reds, Kings Island, great golf opportunities, maybe a drag strip, some great “road tour” opportunities, affordable lodging, great food.$

tomo366 February 22nd, 2019 12:53

Good luck with that......not a whole lot of life left here

aja8888 February 23rd, 2019 14:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomo366 (Post 5486377)
Good luck with that......not a whole lot of life left here

Even the pulse is barely measurable. I believe club senior management has also moved on.

tomo366 February 23rd, 2019 19:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by aja8888 (Post 5486678)
Even the pulse is barely measurable. I believe club senior management has also moved on.

For the most part yes.....I am going to a new member meet and greet in a couple weeks BMW Car Club of america....not a lot of Popularity over there for Diesels though....

Gear_Head February 25th, 2019 11:11

I would...

I’m interested in going to one. Of course it would be much more feasible if there was one scheduled somewhere reasonably close....such as with in the range of a tank full of fuel @ approximately 50 mpg’s! 😊

aja8888 February 25th, 2019 11:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomo366 (Post 5486750)
For the most part yes.....I am going to a new member meet and greet in a couple weeks BMW Car Club of america....not a lot of Popularity over there for Diesels though....

I bought a BMW 3 series convertible last summer to have as a fun car. I'm pretty much done with diesels now that VW screwed the pooch, so to say. My 2014 Passat TDI was nice, but it wasn't much more than an Impala with a diesel engine.

Nothing diesel powered interests me anymore. With diesel @ $0.70/gallon over RUG prices around here, there is little economic sense to own a diesel.

tomo366 February 25th, 2019 11:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by aja8888 (Post 5487172)
I bought a BMW 3 series convertible last summer to have as a fun car. I'm pretty much done with diesels now that VW screwed the pooch, so to say. My 2014 Passat TDI was nice, but it wasn't much more than an Impala with a diesel engine.
Nothing diesel powered interests me anymore. With diesel @ $0.70/gallon over RUG prices around here, there is little economic sense to own a diesel.

Our E46 Convertible got totaled last fall......I have had my 328D for a year and a half love it! It Gets 41+ MPG Highway and much nicer road car than my Jetta!
Which we still have and my Wife drives it has had all the Fixes....This is one of the last Cars Chris Farnham sold before his passing

IndigoBlueWagon February 25th, 2019 12:03

I actually think the member numbers and activity here is on the rise as people buy the dieselgate cars. And we're seeing significant sales increases on parts for '09 and later TDIs. However, I also think the time for get togethers and TDIFests may have passed: I don't think there's the core of enthusiast owners that there was 10-15 years ago.

VW still has a lot of leftover diesels to sell. I drove by our local storage lot yesterday and it doesn't look significantly different than it did a year ago. I suspect that's true all over the country. VW will continue to feed TDIs to dealers, prices will get more favorable, and these cars will probably stick around as good economical transportation for a lot of people. But when they're gone, who knows.

KIMDTDI February 28th, 2019 19:25

I’m new here and just bought a used 2012 Golf TDI as my first car back in August 2018. I’d love to see one of these events to learn more and meet others with a love for the cars.

tomo366 February 28th, 2019 19:51

The only way your going to get one of the events is get a group of people together and organize it....and I just do not see that happening.....

1854sailor March 22nd, 2019 10:15

X2 what Tom said. The folks who had the know-how and energy to put an event like TDIFest together just got burned out. I haven't even been able to raise any interest in a local lunch outing...

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomo366 (Post 5488113)
The only way your going to get one of the events is get a group of people together and organize it....and I just do not see that happening.....

nate0031 March 24th, 2019 15:22

Cincinnati would be nice. It would be nice to see the TDI community more active again, but I can't say I've been around much for a while with how busy life got. It is disappointing to see how much dieselgate knocked the wind out of the community.

tomo366 March 24th, 2019 18:45

Mason Ohio (Cincinnati ) was not my favorite fest....not the worst though

JSWTDI09 March 24th, 2019 20:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomo366 (Post 5494579)
Mason Ohio (Cincinnati ) was not my favorite fest....not the worst though

Lexington wasn't bad either. Cincinnati is my home town so I would not object to an excuse for a visit. However, what we really need is not suggestions but people who will do the work to find, book and plan such an event. This is the real problem. I do not know if any of the people who put together the Mason (OH) or Lexington (KY) fests are still around to help or to advise.

Have Fun!

Don

pebjr March 25th, 2019 17:14

Sounds interesting.... I'm ready for a rode trip.

MichaelB March 25th, 2019 18:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by pebjr (Post 5494782)

Are you willing to orchestrate the event or you're just interested in a road trip?

tomo366 March 25th, 2019 18:19

Same stuff just a different day......the greatest 20 years of my life......sorry to see it gone

aja8888 March 25th, 2019 19:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by pebjr (Post 5494782)

Yep, all you need now is three members dedicating a lot of time and energy to find a location and negotiate a contract and then 6 volunteers to help organize, staff and run the event.

Then you could take your road trip! :D

turbocharged798 March 30th, 2019 18:43

Personally I think we need to come up with something different other than TDI fests as a fundraiser for the site.

Farley April 4th, 2019 01:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by turbocharged798 (Post 5496116)
Personally I think we need to come up with something different other than TDI fests as a fundraiser for the site.

Would this be excluding the gtg then? Or still including a gtg?

MPLSTDI April 13th, 2019 07:53

I also have to agree that I don't see how much longer the site can go on like this. My first 10 years here were great and I spend a lot of time than I would admit to.

Very sad time, but I also don't spend much time here anymore, some of that is work and family but some is the lack activity here.

MichaelB April 13th, 2019 16:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by MPLSTDI (Post 5499633)
some is the lack activity here.

Define lack of activity and what are you looking for that you found in the past but do not find now?

vwxyzero April 13th, 2019 16:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelB (Post 5499785)
Define lack of activity and what are you looking for that you found in the past but do not find now?

How about starting a thread on steam power? Exploit your passion! [emoji51]
There seems to be a lot of members who have either vanished, or are driving something other than a VW TDI. I need to update my profile to include my Baker Electric [emoji23] (read Fiat 500e)

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

MichaelB April 13th, 2019 17:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by vwxyzero (Post 5499790)
How about starting a thread on steam power?

No, it has no relevance here. I post about steam engines on appropriate sites. Why does a guy that drives a fiat even care what we post here? Let alone in a TDI fest thread. There is plenty of daily activity here and many of the original members have since matured and are not looking for alternative cars that they can post here about In all reality within the next 10 years the VW TDI will be a rare bird indeed as they are not and probably will not be produced for sale in NA anymore. Hence the following has shrunk in both age and enthusiasm for a nationwide gathering. As I always say the only constant is change. And the times they are a changing. Enjoy a TDI while you still can.

vwxyzero April 13th, 2019 17:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelB (Post 5499805)
No, it has no relevance here. I post about steam engines on appropriate sites. Why does a guy that drives a fiat even care what we post here? Let alone in a TDI fest thread. There is plenty of daily activity here and many of the original members have since matured and are not looking for alternative cars that they can post here about In all reality within the next 10 years the VW TDI will be a rare bird indeed as they are not and probably will not be produced for sale in NA anymore. Hence the following has shrunk in both age and enthusiasm for a nationwide gathering. As I always say the only constant is change. And the times they are a changing. Enjoy a TDI while you still can.

I still own my VW TDI(s,) and IDI(s,) but they're no longer my daily driver, and are currently registered non-op, maybe until they become classics or antiques. I don't drive the distance I used to, so they don't make sense for local home to work and back commuting.

My bigger point (and why I picked up on your steam locomotive interest,) is because what's missing here that has vanished is the passion this forum once had. Last time I logged in on my computer there were three times as many non-members looking at the site then there were members. A sign of people that have a newly rekindled interest? Or noobs just looking to sell their TDI? I don't know because they're basically invisible.

Frankly the forum has lost the pizzas it once had, and honestly I'd be interested in your passion for steam power, I'm sure it beats what I've seen here lately. If you're not interested in posting about steam in the other discussion section of the forum, fine; what's the name of the site where you talk about steam? Got a link? I'm actually interested in older technology - a lot more so than I would be in driving to a TDI fest. I don't have that kind of time or interest anymore; it all went kind of poof during Dieselgate.

MichaelB April 13th, 2019 18:26

Man,
You're in California and I am in Wisconsin. I am a volunteer at the Mid Continent railway museum. My passion for obsolete tech includes pocket watches and lighthouses, grain threshing and many others but in no way shape or form am I going to introduce that here. I just like my 2014 TDI so I read and post here. I do not know why you dug into the listed interests in my profile. You can PM me if you like but that being said...........well if you want to support this group do it or just remain silent about its destiny. Things change for a reason just like other obsolete technology.

IndigoBlueWagon April 14th, 2019 03:54

I think membership and activity on this site is on the rise, after hitting a post-dieselgate low a couple years ago. The bought back cars are bringing in a lot of new members.

However, the new cars aren't nearly as mod-friendly as the older TDIs. And they're harder to owner maintain because of the need for different tools and technology, and because they're more complex. So a lot of the posts here are more about fuel economy, what's covered under the emissions warranty, common issues with the newer cars, and (still) posts about tunes. Not as exciting as 15 years ago.

But this site is still far, far better than any other auto enthusiast sites I visit. I applaud Fred for keeping this ad-free: just go to a competitor site to see how annoying ads can be.

tomo366 April 14th, 2019 09:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon (Post 5499901)
I think membership and activity on this site is on the rise, after hitting a post-dieselgate low a couple years ago. The bought back cars are bringing in a lot of new members.

However, the new cars aren't nearly as mod-friendly as the older TDIs. And they're harder to owner maintain because of the need for different tools and technology, and because they're more complex. So a lot of the posts here are more about fuel economy, what's covered under the emissions warranty, common issues with the newer cars, and (still) posts about tunes. Not as exciting as 15 years ago.

But this site is still far, far better than any other auto enthusiast sites I visit. I applaud Fred for keeping this ad-free: just go to a competitor site to see how annoying ads can be.

But how long is it going to last with no Fest to raise money.....and no way to raise money except people donations.....I still spend time on the site nearly everyday but don’t post much now....

MichaelB April 14th, 2019 09:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomo366 (Post 5499968)
But how long is it going to last with no Fest to raise money.....and no way to raise money except people donations.....I still spend time on the site nearly everyday but don’t post much now....

Just a question....how much money did the previous TDI Fests generate to keep this site ad free? Maybe Fred should charge a let's say 5 dollar membership fee. Still very cheap for the privilege to post and gain knowledge here. I'm sure most of the guests and lurkers here did not attend any fests anyway.

tomo366 April 14th, 2019 11:04

I don't really Know but I would say thousands....

MichaelB April 14th, 2019 11:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomo366 (Post 5499993)
I don't really Know but I would say thousands....

Well then how much of that thousands were included in the entry fee as a per ticket and that is what should be an entry fee for add free use of the forum.

tomo366 April 14th, 2019 11:21

The people that managed those things are all now pretty much no longer around and Fred doesn't post.....I will not say anymore as I don't want to be labeled Negative..... which has happened in the Past I know that the Auction of donated items raised lots of Money

MichaelB April 14th, 2019 12:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomo366 (Post 5500015)
I know that the Auction of donated items raised lots of Money

If that's the case lets have an online auction. That is a lot easier to manage than a TDI Fest, isn't it?

BTW Fred personally thanked me for the purchase of a new license plate holder and a TDI cap. My old one just faded away so....I purchased a new one.

tomo366 April 14th, 2019 12:10

Much easier said than done.....NOTHING like being in a full Banquet room and bidding against a bunch of folks......I know I usually dropped 2-300 at the Auction! And there were guys that spent a lot more than me

MichaelB April 14th, 2019 12:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomo366 (Post 5500037)
Much easier said than done.....NOTHING like being in a full Banquet room and bidding against a bunch of folks......I know I usually dropped 2-300 at the Auction! And there were guys that spent a lot more than me

OK, then I guess there is nothing we here can do. Maybe you could just drop 2-300 bucks into the forums coffers then.

tomo366 April 14th, 2019 12:58

Not these days.......I was one of the very early members and I have more than paid my dues and while I still own a TDI it is no longer a priority in my life I have been here since 1997 and I am now 22 years older than at the beginning....

MichaelB April 14th, 2019 13:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomo366 (Post 5500055)
Not these days.......I was one of the very early members and I have more than paid my dues and while I still own a TDI it is no longer a priority in my life I have been here since 1997 and I am now 22 years older than at the beginning....

Then as I said there is nothing we can do besides get old and die just like the forums. My TDI never was or will be a priority in my life it's just a car. That being said many good posts are still made here every day, it's a shame the old guys need a TDI Fest to keep it going.

aja8888 April 14th, 2019 16:40

This place (the site) kind of reminds me of the old Saturn Forums that, I believe, still exists. I was a member of that froum in the early 1990's and it was quite active and had a great tech forum. Plus, it was moderated quite well. Although the Saturn guys and gals didn't hold fests, they sure were helpful and a lot of members were around for quite a long time. However, that forum is about dead, although I get an email from them every so often.

Fred's site has been a great place and the GTG's and Fests were special due to the efforts of the long timers and club ownership. This is sorely missed but I believe, like others here, it is over.

I still come here to chat with a few old friends, but it's not the same as it was before Dieselgate.

IndigoBlueWagon April 14th, 2019 17:43

Well I think they did: https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...=.61482b73a2f0

rotarykid April 14th, 2019 17:46

this really captures it for me.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon (Post 5499901)

I believe there are many like me with multiple TDIs(two Passats, two Jettas with one still running around on eco-diesel power) we own and still drive.....

I always wanted there to be a national gtg in the rocky mountain region to show off the beauty and how well these cars handle driving up here....a fest ride over trail ridge road would be a drive no one would ever forget....or to the top of pikes peak....or a ride to the great sand dunes national park....a ride down to the garden of the gods....hell, just a trip of a group of us up to see the buffulo then on to lookout mountain,,...

I have recently taken a drive around to local metro area vw dealers to see if diesel offerings still fill their lots. Now we all know there have been no new current model year offerings sold since 15, but after the still new 15s pre-sale TDIs went on sale, suddenly every lot I have visited recently has had a variety of this re-sale CPO warranty offered cars. ....

They range from Jetta, Golf, Passat. Newest Beetle(even a few convertibles) manual & DSG TDI. And talking to people I personally know at one of these dealers the current re-sale CPO's are selling pretty well and will continue to arrive for sale for at least the next year or longer for as long as the buy-back supply lasts. There are also more than a few of the audi TDI cars & suvs still out there driving around, I was in a trip across town the other day and saw two audi TDI sedans in snowy traffic. With the snow piling up I could not tell which cars they were but I clearly read TDI on the rear deck lid.....

My point is, as has been said...as long as there are people out there looking to continue to buy these cars like I am seeing right now our board will continue to serve a real purpose. And I believe that in parts of the US & Canada there are still enough of us around that if we so chose could still put on a mighty fine party somewhere to celebrate the fact for at least the next few years to come they will still in at least parts of the US still exist in reasonable numbers to warrant continued site support.....

Who knows, once all of the buyback stock is back on the road vwag may even re-introduce a diesel option here again. I know they are currently building not for sale here Atlas TDI built in Tenn.....how hard could it be(under trump) to get this thing certified for sale here????....time will tell....

aja8888 April 14th, 2019 18:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon (Post 5500157)

Paywall. :(

MichaelB April 14th, 2019 18:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by rotarykid (Post 5500160)
I believe there are many like me with multiple TDIs(two Passats, two Jettas with one still running around on eco-diesel power) we own and still drive.....

I always wanted there to be a national gtg in the rocky mountain region to show off the beauty and how well these cars handle driving up here....a fest ride over trail ridge road would be a drive no one would ever forget....or to the top of pikes peak....or a ride to the great sand dunes national park....a ride down to the garden of the gods....hell, just a trip of a group of us up to see the buffulo then on to lookout mountain,,...

I have recently taken a drive around to local metro area vw dealers to see if diesel offerings still fill their lots. Now we all know there have been no new current model year offerings sold since 15, but after the still new 15s pre-sale TDIs went on sale, suddenly every lot I have visited recently has had a variety of this re-sale CPO warranty offered cars. ....

They range from Jetta, Golf, Passat. Newest Beetle(even a few convertibles) manual & DSG TDI. And talking to people I personally know at one of these dealers the current re-sale CPO's are selling pretty well and will continue to arrive for sale for at least the next year or longer for as long as the buy-back supply lasts. There are also more than a few of the audi TDI cars & suvs still out there driving around, I was in a trip across town the other day and saw two audi TDI sedans in snowy traffic. With the snow piling up I could not tell which cars they were but I clearly read TDI on the rear deck lid.....

My point is, as has been said...as long as there are people out there looking to continue to buy these cars like I am seeing right now our board will continue to serve a real purpose. And I believe that in parts of the US & Canada there are still enough of us around that if we so chose could still put on a mighty fine party somewhere to celebrate the fact for at least the next few years to come they will still in at least parts of the US still exist in reasonable numbers to warrant continued site support.....

Who knows, once all of the buyback stock is back on the road vwag may even re-introduce a diesel option here again. I know they are currently building not for sale here Atlas TDI built in Tenn.....how hard could it be(under trump) to get this thing certified for sale here????....time will tell....

As it has been said before in this thread are you willing to do the work to have said TDI Fest in Colorado or are you just smokin' a pipe(Rocky Mountain High) and having a dream? Colorado colorful as it may be takes more than dream.

IndigoBlueWagon April 15th, 2019 03:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by aja8888 (Post 5500177)
Paywall. :(

Really? Not for me.

I don't want to paste the whole article here, but here's some.

WHAT IF YOU HAD A PARTY AND 28,000 SATURN OWNERS
SHOWED UP?
By Warren Brown
June 26, 1994
SPRING HILL, TENN., JUNE 25 -- It was a revival meeting, replete with prayers, tents and gospel music.
There were ministers aplenty, one of whom presided over an impromptu wedding. There were children
everywhere, running through fields and playing on bales of hay, while their parents huddled in groups and
talked about God, family, country -- and Saturn.
"It's unbelievable," said Richard "Skip" Lefauve, president of Saturn Corp., a small-car company that began as a
laughable idea 12 years ago but has blossomed into a full-scale religion.
"Who would've thought? All of these people -- my God! All of these people are our customers," said Lefauve,
looking at a crowd of 15,000 Saturn owners who had gathered here Friday for the first day of a "Saturn
homecoming celebration." It was the company's first such gathering.
By the end of tonight's ceremonies, 28,000 Saturn owners and their families had shown up, nearly triple the
population of this middle Tennessee town in which the automaker is located.
Some came from as far away as Taiwan, and others from as close as Nashville, about 30 miles north of Spring
Hill. In a parking lot transformed into a sea of Saturns were license plates from Arizona and Alaska.
Many said they made the trip for three reasons: to see the 2,400-acre Saturn factory site, to meet the people
who built their cars and to find out if the Saturn philosophy of "togetherness" and "teamwork" was hype or
truth.
"Put it this way -- I've owned lots of cars and heard lots of tales from people who just wanted to make a sale,"
said Kirk Noland, 38, a corrections officer from Fayetteville, N.C. "But this is the first time a car company has
invited me to come and see what they do. I had a few days off, so I took 'em up on it," said Noland, who made
the almost 600-mile journey with his 11-year-old daughter, Dorothy, in his 1992 Saturn SL1 sedan.

aja8888 April 15th, 2019 05:05

Thanks.worked on my phone, but on my laptop I was not able to kill the block asking me to pay for access.

rotarykid April 15th, 2019 16:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelB (Post 5500183)
As it has been said before in this thread are you willing to do the work to have said TDI Fest in Colorado or are you just smokin' a pipe(Rocky Mountain High) and having a dream? Colorado colorful as it may be takes more than dream.

I number of years back I talked to active vw/audi clubs in the co springs & denver area who were at the time more than willing to work alongside tdiclub members in trying to put together a national meet here. Now I haven't asked these same groups since, but I believe there is more than enough enthusiasm still here if the right people would come forward to help I have no doubt this is more than a dream....Now I have no doubt that it is going to take other people in the region beyond just me to make this a reality, if anyone on here is interested I am more than willing to do my part to make this work in this beautiful place...

ranger pete April 16th, 2019 17:42

I am in Ct. and a tdi newbie. Just bought an '11 Sportwagen.

I am seeing more and more around the last few months. If anyone wants to do a New England GTG, let me know.

Would like to talk to some TDI vets.

vwxyzero April 17th, 2019 01:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by rotarykid (Post 5500485)
I number of years back I talked to active vw/audi clubs in the co springs & denver area who were at the time more than willing to work alongside tdiclub members in trying to put together a national meet here. Now I haven't asked these same groups since, but I believe there is more than enough enthusiasm still here if the right people would come forward to help I have no doubt this is more than a dream....Now I have no doubt that it is going to take other people in the region beyond just me to make this a reality, if anyone on here is interested I am more than willing to do my part to make this work in this beautiful place...

If you decide to make this happen, I'll be more than willing to take one of my TDIs, or my Turbo IDI off blocks, put in a new timing belt, register it, insure it, and drive to a fest anywhere in Colorado.

Full disclosure; my daughter lives in Colorado, so Colorado would be a great excuse for me.

Photo: Rocky Mountain National Park, Forrest Canyon Lookout, at 9:23 PM at night, heading from Denver to Steamboat Springs on highway 34 - always breathtaking, day or night. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...123f31942d.jpg

vwxyzero April 17th, 2019 01:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by ranger pete (Post 5500773)

I am seeing more and more around the last few months. If anyone wants to do a New England GTG, let me know.

Local get-togethers are fairly easy to organize, it only takes a couple of committed people to make that happen. A national TDI Fest is an entirely different animal. Good luck with a local GTG!

Lamchop May 16th, 2019 18:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by ranger pete (Post 5500773)

YESSS let's do it man!! I live in NY and would be willing to drive to CT for a gtg. Last year I picked up a 15 golf that was a buy back and have been wanting to talk to some vets about performance products and diesel gate issues. I want to delete my emissions system for longetivity and performance reasons and wondering if anyone else has here. That VW warranty is tempting though. So it makes you think.
But I love my car and have always wanted one. So it would be nice to meet up with like minded people. Lets make this happen!

02TDI_sam June 7th, 2019 16:33

I am a new member here and just bought my first vw TDi 3 weeks ago. I am highly interested in a get together. even if it is a local gig. I live here in North Carolina. we have Charlotte NC close by and we also have Morrow Mountain state park that has a very nice spot on the peak for cook out and parking. It also has some good views. start small and local and make it grow.

AndyBees June 17th, 2019 19:23

I became a member in 2003. I wasn't very active during the first two or three years, but as time come and went I did get more involved. I retired in 2008 with the goal of installing a TDI engine in a Vanagon. During the following four years (mid-08 to mid-12) I completed my goal. It was a long rough time in my life. I'll not share the details here, but, we made it through. We (wife and I) attended the 2011, 12 and 13 fests..... enjoyed them immensely. As I recall, 14 was at the same place as 13 (Sunday River, Maine)... seems the St Louis Fest (15) fell thru due to regulations in that state relating to auctions. The 2016 fest was held at Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin. (Is your name on the 2016 attendee list?) We had completed a 12k plus mile road trip in 31 days to Alaska, otherwise, we would have made it to Sturgeon Bay... same with 2014, 33 day road trip to Alaska (both in the TDI Vanagon). Prior to 2011, our family reunion had be held on Labor Day weekend which presented a problem for us...

Yes, I've noticed the down turn in member activity. I've noticed many of the old timers have not been on here in months, some much longer than a year. As you probably know, non-member lurkers cannot post. If those folks would step-up and join the club maybe the enthusiasm would return.

Yep, I went from driving about 40k miles per year (36k on my daily to and on the job) to less than a tank of fuel per month when I retired (my son has that 2000 Jetta which is pushing 372k miles). I now own my brother's 2003 which has the engine from his T-boned 2001. Point here is, at my age, I'll probably never own a TDI newer than an 03 but maybe an 04 with PD engine.

Yes, I'm rambling....

I think everyone I saw at the three fests we attended had a great time. We did contribute both thru registration, purchases and donations (guys, remember the shine?:D).

Oh, and BTW, the last time I looked, my Vanagon ALH TDI project (now in a Sticky), has had over 336,000 (337,819) hits since I started it, April, 2010. But, it does seem that the number of new conversions hitting the Conversion category is down.

This year, we have a road trip planned the week after Labor Day weekend. We're going with friends to the northeast and into Canada.... likely not driving anything VW/TDI. But, if there happens to be a TDI fest, we'll modify plans and attend..

Lastly, I do not see the TDI club tanking anytime soon ......

(notice my sig... welcome the new comers)

pkhoury July 23rd, 2019 00:28

A GTG would sure be nice. I wasn't able to go to previous TDIfests. I bought mine in 2010 and gave VW the middle finger in regards to the buyout. Looking back, I wished I sold mine back, as I bought the same car with a 6MT and 2013 model year. I also own 3 other TDIs and 2 motors shy of a dozen other diesels, so I definitely have a foot in the race, and am very interested in anything diesel.

aja8888 July 23rd, 2019 15:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by pkhoury (Post 5523859)
A GTG would sure be nice. I wasn't able to go to previous TDIfests. I bought mine in 2010 and gave VW the middle finger in regards to the buyout. Looking back, I wished I sold mine back, as I bought the same car with a 6MT and 2013 model year. I also own 3 other TDIs and 2 motors shy of a dozen other diesels, so I definitely have a foot in the race, and am very interested in anything diesel.

Organize one....:)

tomo366 August 11th, 2019 19:29

Now 3 years since the last TDI Fest in Sturgeon Bay Wisconsin these were such a great time! Really miss my Friends! And sadly I guess those days are over I made all but the 2 that were held out west! Peter v Storey and Jonathon Bartlett and of course Fred made them all.....

USMCFieldMP August 12th, 2019 11:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon (Post 5487186)
However, I also think the time for get togethers and TDIFests may have passed: I don't think there's the core of enthusiast owners that there was 10-15 years ago.

Honestly, that just seems to be forums in general - especially for cars that aren't actively being built. The enthusiasts are out there... there's just a minimum of them on forums. I had the same experience with my Cobalt SS. The forums were rocking and national meetups were being had in the late 2000's/early 2010's. But in recent years, the forums seem to consist mostly of people that just got the car while the core group of knowledgeable people have left.

New Mickey August 12th, 2019 17:01

Every day is TDI Festival for me.

-mickey

IndigoBlueWagon August 13th, 2019 04:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by USMCFieldMP (Post 5528652)
Honestly, that just seems to be forums in general - especially for cars that aren't actively being built. The enthusiasts are out there... there's just a minimum of them on forums.

I think Forums are dying, too. This one still gets along, but without the resurgence of CR TDIs coming back to market, I think we'd hear crickets. Most questions about the MKIV cars have been asked and answered, and A3/B4 cars are essentially gone.

tomo366 August 13th, 2019 07:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon (Post 5528800)
I think Forums are dying, too. This one still gets along, but without the resurgence of CR TDIs coming back to market, I think we'd hear crickets. Most questions about the MKIV cars have been asked and answered, and A3/B4 cars are essentially gone.

I belong to 3-4 BMW Forums and Posts are Few and far between....

USMCFieldMP August 13th, 2019 07:30

I've even noticed quite the slow down on Vortex. The MK2 Parts For Sale section was daily chaos a decade ago; even 5 years ago, great parts would be gone in hours. Now it seems like the posts trickle in, and good parts can sit around for a while.

tomo366 August 13th, 2019 10:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by USMCFieldMP (Post 5528843)
I've even noticed quite the slow down on Vortex. The MK2 Parts For Sale section was daily chaos a decade ago; even 5 years ago, great parts would be gone in hours. Now it seems like the posts trickle in, and good parts can sit around for a while.

I havent been on VW Vortex forever

TDIMeister August 14th, 2019 09:43

Come out west, Tomo! It's lovely here. :)

tomo366 August 14th, 2019 10:06

not.....actually went to Seattle last Fall....

Matt-98AHU August 16th, 2019 20:39

Facebook groups are plenty active, but the format leaves a lot to be desired as far as organizing and finding information.

But the ease of access and active notifications on your mobile device makes it far too easy to stay connected to that format and that seems to help keep those more active.

I was made a moderator on one of those pages and help add dozens of people a day to the group. 28,000 and counting more and more rapidly in recent weeks.

But, I don't see any sort of GTG organizing from that chaos.

Some kind of GTG in Colorado is a great idea by rotary kid. It's the middle of the country, it's a long drive for us coastal dwellers, but it's worth it. A drive through parts of the Rockies is definitely a great experience. Some of the most scenic bits of our country you'll ever come across. And you want to see what elevation does to your cars performance? Just drive across the state on I-70. You'll eventually top 11,000 feet.

vwxyzero August 18th, 2019 13:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt-98AHU (Post 5529783)

Some kind of GTG in Colorado is a great idea by rotary kid. It's the middle of the country, it's a long drive for us coastal dwellers, but it's worth it. A drive through parts of the Rockies is definitely a great experience. Some of the most scenic bits of our country you'll ever come across. And you want to see what elevation does to your cars performance? Just drive across the state on I-70. You'll eventually top 11,000 feet.

I'm in if somebody else organizes it! My Turbo IDI needs a road trip!

JSWTDI09 August 18th, 2019 14:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by vwxyzero (Post 5530156)
I'm in if somebody else organizes it!

To quote William Shakespeare: "ay, there's the rub". Everybody wants a GTG but nobody is able (or willing) to organize it. This has been the problem for years.

Have Fun!

Don

vwxyzero August 18th, 2019 14:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSWTDI09 (Post 5530173)
To quote William Shakespeare: "ay, there's the rub".

Don

The merchant of Venice I presume?
Yeah, that's the rube! LOL

JSWTDI09 August 18th, 2019 14:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by vwxyzero (Post 5530176)
The merchant of Venice I presume?

Actually Hamlet.:)
Often misquoted as: "Therein lies the rub".

Have Fun!

Don

vwxyzero August 18th, 2019 15:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSWTDI09 (Post 5530179)
Actually Hamlet.:)
Often misquoted as: "Therein lies the rub".

Have Fun!

Don

“To die, to sleep

To sleep perchance to dream:

Ay, there’s the rub.

For in that sleep of death what dreams may come”

Admittedly I had to look it up, but it's sadly a good analogy for the obstacles facing GTGs referenced by the quote from the master of tragic comedy. Thanks for the touch of cultural to rule the day. :)

AndyBees August 20th, 2019 15:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by USMCFieldMP (Post 5528843)

And, that is why we need to welcome Newbies with wide-open arms. There are a few members that go off the deep end with condescending responses to questions from Newbies.

I'm more of a lurker now than in the past. But, I do try to help when I think my contribution will be a positive experience for a Newbie. Newbies need to feel welcome, if so, they'll hopefully be contributors in a positive way.

Notice my signature......... changed it several months ago because of my observations relative to Newbies and noticing the lack of overall activity.

imbrian September 2nd, 2019 00:54

hi. imbrian, newbie but oldie?

screw facebook, this place is more than sufficient. i wouldnt own my wagon, or have picked up a golf parts car from the woodline if it werent for this(and others) forum. i saw the light last winter, in regards to cars/autos/trans.......bought my wagon from a bud for a couple/few hundo three years ago solely as a backup to my subaru. now the subaru enjoys its rusty last days before partout while the wag is rising like the pheonix. sits at 202k and she's ready for couple more.

im in vermont, the vw/tdi/mk4 activity is very strong up here. not as in organized, but as in the activity on craigslist, salvage yards, etc is good. if you watch theres good stuff, great deals all the time. this includes all of new england, there's a mk4 partout enthusiast around concordNH that makes me want to get a couple more wagons just to get 'em back up on the road, i can get great parts from 3-5 salvage/parters .....mk4 rocks the casbah.

im up for colorado i suppose...be a long drive as i would probably not be able to command/force myself to drive thru the midwest......maybe go thru canada?.....ontario, saskatch?......or down 95 across then up? originally from indy and dont care for the endless cornfields ;)

Lug_Nut September 2nd, 2019 17:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomo366 (Post 5528527)
Now 3 years since the last TDI Fest in Sturgeon Bay Wisconsin these were such a great time! Really miss my Friends! And sadly I guess those days are over I made all but the 2 that were held out west! Peter v Storey and Jonathon Bartlett and of course Fred made them all.....

To all my old TDI Club friends, and to Tomo, too ;) : I wanted to let you know that I've been thinking of you this, and every, Labo(u)r Day weekend.
I don't get on to Fred's often now as my TDI owning days have passed, and might not be renewed, but I do hold a fondness for all the times we spent together, whether at official fests, impromptu GTG, regional events, or just out for an ice cream.
I'm am continuing to take the Labor Day week off from work for a vacation just to maintain the practice of work understanding my priorities, just in case there is a fest revival.

tomo366 September 2nd, 2019 17:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lug_Nut (Post 5533680)
To all my old TDI Club friends, and to Tomo, too ;) : I wanted to let you know that I've been thinking of you this, and every, Labo(u)r Day weekend.
I don't get on to Fred's often now as my TDI owning days have passed, and might not be renewed, but I do hold a fondness for all the times we spent together, whether at official fests, impromptu GTG, regional events, or just out for an ice cream.
I'm am continuing to take the Labor Day week off from work for a vacation just to maintain the practice of work understanding my priorities, just in case there is a fest revival.

Thanks Jon I miss all of you guys and Gals! You were one of the 1st TDI folks I ever met! And will always be a great friend!

PeterV September 2nd, 2019 19:20

I also echo the words of Lug_Nut. I was just imagining the drive home from previous fests with great and fond memories of All the TDIers we have met over 19 years and all the fests. Tred to date is the only TDI that has been to every fest. Sadly this TDI may be no longer a member of the HO5G. We shall see what the future does bring. Hamsterdiesel still has her '15 Passat TDI.
To Tomo what a great ride we have had Gtgs, fests and even a wedding. Time seems to change events although the heart is willing I as with a lot of you am slowing down.

And to Fred THANK YOU it is not easy to herd a flock of Diesel drivers.

tomo366 September 2nd, 2019 19:37

3 Bug Pwr winners right here! I now drive a BMW 328D X Drive Sedan in (Silver) imagine that me driving a non Red Car........Wife drives my Multiple Award winning Jetta!

VW Derf September 2nd, 2019 20:04

It still feels weird to be home on a Labour Day weekend. I do miss discovering different parts of Canada and the US along with meeting up with all those great TDIClub friends. Just remember that those of you currently with a TDI you guys are still part of TDIClub. Just look how long it took me to finally get one all those years ago! :)

Thanks for the support of TDIClub everyone!

JettaJack September 26th, 2019 14:05

How about a repeat, with a twist?

How about one in VWs (hq) backyard? It wasn’t here in 2009, but we were.

VOA, with their relocation to Herndon, have a building (no doubt with conference rooms), and a multistory parking garage that could provide show space or parking space.

We could show them from our grass roots perspective that there is still a strong diesel community out there still.

The last one in this area back in 09 was fairly well attended, wasn’t it? Their HQ is a stone’s throw from Dulles airport, if that matters, which means there are a bunch of hotels in the area as well as restaurants.

tomo366 September 26th, 2019 14:32

Have you read any of the Posts in this Thread? We used to have a very active group in the area......no longer most have moved on and don’t even have TDI’s anymore......the guys who planned that one Drive Electric now.......we can’t even get 3 guys together for lunch these days so off hand I believe you have 2 chance Slim and None......Good Luck this is coming from a guy who has attended all but 2 Fests .......

meerschm September 26th, 2019 15:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by JettaJack (Post 5539227)
How about one in VWs (hq) backyard? It wasn’t here in 2009, but we were.

VOA, with their relocation to Herndon, have a building (no doubt with conference rooms), and a multistory parking garage that could provide show space or parking space.

We could show them from our grass roots perspective that there is still a strong diesel community out there still.

The last one in this area back in 09 was fairly well attended, wasn’t it? Their HQ is a stone’s throw from Dulles airport, if that matters, which means there are a bunch of hotels in the area as well as restaurants.

If you want one, offer to do the work, and you might get a few hints and a push to get started.

BKmetz October 2nd, 2019 08:01

I'm going to see a few people at the West MI GTG this weekend. I'll see if we can brainstorm a few ideas.

Considering the time and work it takes to organize a full on TDIFest, and that the same people who did all the work year after year got burned out, I was thinking on how to avoid that. What I have in mind is a scaled down TDIFest, a TDIFest-light so to speak. This would be more of an informal weekend GTG, with a national invite instead of local. Events would have to be scalable depending on attendance. This means that instead of vendors bringing lots of inventory and have booths, they might just offer fest weekend discount codes and only take online orders. No formal banquet. Car show? Sure, but it would be more of a 'cars & coffee' type event. No formal judging or trophies and expect to put some money in a donation jar.

Because TDIFest is a fundraiser, there would be active solicitations and the expectation that attendees would make donations in some amount. The details of that would have to be worked out. Maybe a simple admission fee would be work.

All input is welcome. I'll have a much better idea of how this 'TDIFest-light' might work after this weekend after I talk to some long time fest organizers.

:)

turbocharged798 October 3rd, 2019 02:44

I say sounds like a fantastic idea, more like a basic car meet type of thing. Good part about that is it would not be hard to host, just need a location and an open parking lot.

richieracket October 7th, 2019 14:59

Im in

Hi Guys,
I'm one of the people that lived on this site for years and now I lurk occasionally.
Off topic, I'm so sorry Chris passed. I was unaware. I purchased two TDIs from him and the experience was the easiest, friendliest car buying experience EVER! Not to mention the pretzels! RIP Chris
Like others here, I would love to participate in a Northest Fest if possible. and like others, I will fail in the organization process. But I can tell you this site accounted for all my evenings years ago and provided me with more information than my head could handle.
Indigo Blue....comon man!! you can do it!!!! lol

richieracket October 7th, 2019 15:01

OH BOY!!!! Sorry!! Forgot to edit my Sig....

rocketeer928 October 9th, 2019 13:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomo366 (Post 5528527)
Now 3 years since the last TDI Fest in Sturgeon Bay Wisconsin...

At the time I would have never thought that I was attending the last TDI Fest in 2016. My wife and I are headed back to Sturgeon Bay for the GTG on Oct 19.

All these years when we were riding together and I saw a TDI on the road, I would give the wifey a soft TDI punch and I said "TDI" and then pointed to it. Sorta like a punch-bug thing. Let's just say, my wife's "TDI bruise" is now gone since we hardly ever see TDIs on the road anymore where we live, that is, besides mine.

Um, totally kidding. No wife bruising has ever occurred in our marriage. :o

PakProtector October 12th, 2019 18:41

Brian, I wish I had a bit of free time at Kirk's to discuss...I was in the garage, riding an impact gun removing the beam axle bushings on my son's car. While I don't have the avocado-sized doo-dads to try a timing belt at a GTG, the bushings were fun enough.
cheers,
Douglas

IndigoBlueWagon October 13th, 2019 03:50

Brian and I did have a chance to talk, and I like his ideas. I'm betting we can get Fred on board and if it happens, I'll be there for sure.

tomo366 October 13th, 2019 17:17

As much as I love too my Body doesn’t love the Traveling old age isn’t fun....

1854sailor October 19th, 2019 20:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon (Post 5543258)
Brian and I did have a chance to talk, and I like his ideas. I'm betting we can get Fred on board and if it happens, I'll be there for sure.

Me too!

pebjr October 23rd, 2019 17:10

I definitely will show up...

Billion003 October 27th, 2019 17:56

Keep me in mind to be notified if a TDI GTG is going to occur. I'm in Birmingham, Alabama. Not sure if I could make. It depends on the distance. But would like to be notified.
Billion003@aol.com

aja8888 October 27th, 2019 18:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by pebjr (Post 5545788)
I definitely will show up...

Me too! And I'd probably buy a TDI and take it to the Fest!:)

Rrusse11 November 1st, 2019 16:19

I'll be there.

srt-kapp November 22nd, 2019 12:12

hey guys i would be interested in a tdi fest coming to the greater Cincinnati area. I went to Ypsilanti in 2012 and had a great time. I still have my 2003 Jetta with the ALH 297k miles and counting

T.W. November 26th, 2019 08:22

That sounds like a GREAT idea; made the last in 2016 - would like to see the group again!

rhinorear November 26th, 2019 09:09

Maybe just a little further west?

Your consideration in this matter is greatly appreciated

IndigoBlueWagon November 26th, 2019 10:15

If you read back a few posts there are plans in the works for a Fest in Ypsilanti MI around the time of the Detroit Auto Show in early June, 2020. Not far from Cinci.

alext91 November 26th, 2019 10:24

New England area TDI Fest anyone?!

IndigoBlueWagon November 26th, 2019 10:56

Come to Ho5G (House of 5 Garages) in E. Hempstead NH on New Year's Day. If there isn't a thread up about it yet there will be soon.

alext91 November 26th, 2019 11:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon (Post 5553702)
Come to Ho5G (House of 5 Garages) in E. Hempstead NH on New Year's Day. If there isn't a thread up about it yet there will be soon.

Awesome! I was not aware of this but I will keep my eyes peeled! East Hampstead is quite close to me!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

GTDI4 November 28th, 2019 03:11

I guess there isn't going to be anymore TDIFests anytime soon:(

IndigoBlueWagon November 28th, 2019 03:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by BKmetz (Post 5540715)
I'm going to see a few people at the West MI GTG this weekend. I'll see if we can brainstorm a few ideas.

Considering the time and work it takes to organize a full on TDIFest, and that the same people who did all the work year after year got burned out, I was thinking on how to avoid that. What I have in mind is a scaled down TDIFest, a TDIFest-light so to speak. This would be more of an informal weekend GTG, with a national invite instead of local. Events would have to be scalable depending on attendance. This means that instead of vendors bringing lots of inventory and have booths, they might just offer fest weekend discount codes and only take online orders. No formal banquet. Car show? Sure, but it would be more of a 'cars & coffee' type event. No formal judging or trophies and expect to put some money in a donation jar.

Because TDIFest is a fundraiser, there would be active solicitations and the expectation that attendees would make donations in some amount. The details of that would have to be worked out. Maybe a simple admission fee would be work.

All input is welcome. I'll have a much better idea of how this 'TDIFest-light' might work after this weekend after I talk to some long time fest organizers.

:)

As I mentioned above, folks are thinking about hosting this in Ypsilanti, MI, the first weekend of the 2020 Detroit Auto Show, which I believe would be June 13/14. So there's hope.