TDIClub Forums

TDIClub Forums (http://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php)
-   VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs (http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Crankcase Ventilation (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=62387)

phxvalkry October 7th, 2003 19:55

Crankcase Ventilation

I am newe to this forum, I recently purchased a 2002 Jetta TDI. Have a 2002 Ford SuperDuty with the Powerstroke, thats a major reason I invested in a TDI..Diesels ya gotta luv em !! Anyway have read numereous posts about intake build up, my Jetta has 7800 miles on it, I use Rottela synthetic. Has anyone had any experience with the Racor crankase ventilation filters ?

tadc October 7th, 2003 20:58

Crankcase Ventilation

Lots of threads about CCV filters around here. A couple guys are even selling their own designs in the for-sale section.

I think the general consensus is that the Racor units are too large to mount easily on the TDI.

Bookerdog October 8th, 2003 06:29

Crankcase Ventilation

There was much talk a while back that Racor was going to make a smaller filter that would work on our motor. Unfortunately, it looks like nothing ever came of it. I know that one member had the 3500 installed on his car and he did like it, but it was definitely overkill. The current production models really simply are too large for our cars, we don't flow enough air for the 3500 to be as effective as it is on the bigger truck diesels.

I personally always wanted one, because it would be the best design for the A3, due to the fact that it has a drainback to the sump like our CCV design.

PackRat October 8th, 2003 06:47

Crankcase Ventilation

[ QUOTE ]
Bookerdog said:
There was much talk a while back that Racor was going to make a smaller filter that would work on our motor. Unfortunately, it looks like nothing ever came of it. I know that one member had the 3500 installed on his car and he did like it, but it was definitely overkill. The current production models really simply are too large for our cars, we don't flow enough air for the 3500 to be as effective as it is on the bigger truck diesels.

I personally always wanted one, because it would be the best design for the A3, due to the fact that it has a drainback to the sump like our CCV design.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a CCV filter on my TDI for a while and a great majority of the condensate was water mixed with oil. Not sure if I would want that draining back into the crankcase.

Bookerdog October 8th, 2003 12:15

Crankcase Ventilation

Well, with the stock CCV that's what's happening anyway, at least on the A3/B4. The Racor has a pretty stout filtration media that supposedly allows the heavy liquids like oil (and probably some water) drain back, while the gasses are filtered and returned to the standard intake tract.

PackRat October 8th, 2003 17:27

Crankcase Ventilation

Mine had a filter medium that trapped the oil/water and let it collect while the gases kept moving. I had to remove it when it completely iced up during extreme below zero temps and blocked the CCV.

Curious Chris October 8th, 2003 17:55

Crankcase Ventilation

I am tester #19 of Old Navy's CCV mod and it is the ticket if you want your CCV to never freeze and significantly reduce oil in the intake.

Check out this in the classified where a group buy of the thoroughly tested OldNavy CCV mod is underway: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showflat.php?C...part=5&vc=1

MOGolf October 8th, 2003 18:03

Crankcase Ventilation

However, Old Navy's CCV filter is not designed for A3/B4 engines.

Note: This thread is currenly in an A3/B4 forum. The original poster has a A4 engine.

Old Navy October 8th, 2003 18:41

Crankcase Ventilation

So MOGolf what would need to be done to make mine work with A3/b4 models? Maybe we can alter the A4 CCV to work in A3/B4's???

MOGolf October 8th, 2003 19:04

Crankcase Ventilation

http://pics.tdiclub.com/members/alco1310/N180004.jpg

See the pressure regulator in the upper right of this picture posted by ALCO? It has an additional hose connection.

Weasle543 October 9th, 2003 18:34

Crankcase Ventilation

What's that extra hose for? Is that the "elephant" hose?

Old Navy October 9th, 2003 19:26

Crankcase Ventilation

Wish I had an actual A3 CCV. Anyone have a spare or can take some good pictures?

Bookerdog October 10th, 2003 06:18

Crankcase Ventilation

[ QUOTE ]
Weasle543 said:
What's that extra hose for? Is that the "elephant" hose?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're talking about the big hose coming out on the left of the puck and headed toward the front of the engine? That indeed is an elephant hose mod. The picture is actually a little confusing, because there appears to be a third hose coming into the puck, but there is not. That's just where the original hose was removed and probably has an airfilter stuck on it.

The "extra" hose that the A3 has compared to the A4 is actually the hose on the right hand side, which is an oil drainback/lower crankcase pressure relief hose. It goes down to an opening on the block that opens into the oil pan. Nobody really seems to know what the heck the thing really does. But nobody wants to block it off because the lower crankcase pressure issues.

As far as the puck itself, there's absolutely nothing to it that I can tell. Just a plastic opening with an opening on the bottom and to openings on the side.

Old Navy, be sure to take a look at Oilhammer's CCV at the GTG next weekend. It would be great if we poor forgotten A3 folks could have the opportunity to purchase one of your fine filters for our cars.

Chris Bell October 10th, 2003 09:01

Crankcase Ventilation

[ QUOTE ]
Bookerdog said:
As far as the puck itself, there's absolutely nothing to it that I can tell. Just a plastic opening with an opening on the bottom and to openings on the side.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. It is a crankcase pressure regulator valve. It contains a spring-loaded diaphram that closes the valve under conditions of high crankcase gas flow.

dieseltwo October 10th, 2003 09:53

Crankcase Ventilation

To phxvalkry member. CCV; I would use a Condensator for ccv. I believe you can not get anything better.TDI's. The Racor has a filter in it that will need replacing, at a cost. The Condensator you just take apart, wash it and put back together, real simple. Condensator does have a web page. Price wise it is costs less then a Racor and in the long run. You could make one like most do here, but would not work as good as the Condensator. You want the best, pay a little now or lot later. When I have a little extra cash, I will get one. Each their own, I guess. Good luck on your search. [Dieseltwo-Bradford-Ont.Can.]