TDIClub Forums

TDIClub Forums (http://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php)
-   VW B5 Passat TDIs (http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   BHW Balance Shaft Module replacement (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=233651)

maktas December 17th, 2008 10:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by senez
The baking part is what gets me.

What? Like cookies? ;)

Yes, its gone past what is called a "mechanical fit" to a "atomic fit". VW designed the tolerance to be slightly undersized according to the material's thermal expansion coefficient. Once the critical temp is reached, the gear slips on and when it cools, it is as good as welded on. There is nothing like atomic bond forces to hold something together.

KALaBenne December 17th, 2008 10:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by maktas
Once the critical temp is reached, the gear slips on and when it cools, it is as good as welded on.

So I'm assuming the critical (installation) temperature is far above what would be experienced in a normal warmed-up engine?

edit: I read the PDF and I sure hope my engine never gets up to 350F

Thanks for all the hard work MoGolf and oilhammer!!

aja8888 December 17th, 2008 10:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by KALaBenne
So I'm assuming the critical (installation) temperature is far above what would be experienced in a normal warmed-up engine?

edit: I read the PDF and I sure hope my engine never gets up to 350F

Thanks for all the hard work MoGolf and oilhammer!!

Well, if your engine did heat up to 350F, both the shaft and the gear would too. There would be no loosening of the gear on the shaft then.:) However, other not-so-nice things would become of interest at that temperature!;)

samspock December 17th, 2008 11:27

Wow, that's a nice writeup. After reading it I almost feel like I could do this myself. Good thing I know better. I like my car, I want to keep it.

vw4life December 17th, 2008 11:46

Yah, made me question if my local VW gurus can do it [well] too. Makes me want to take that 3600 km trip to OH's shop.

engineerorange December 17th, 2008 12:53

This is a thing of pure beauty. I am glad it's only 6 hours to oilhammer for me. Only at 55k miles now, and no noise yet. But this will be done no later than 80k on our passat.

aja8888 December 17th, 2008 13:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by engineerorange
This is a thing of pure beauty. I am glad it's only 6 hours to oilhammer for me. Only at 55k miles now, and no noise yet. But this will be done no later than 80k on our passat.

Mine has *noise* at 54K. My friend's 2005 TDI Passat wagon in Connecticut has *noise* at 31K. This is all over the park with respect to chain/tensioner wear and noise.

abctdi December 17th, 2008 15:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by maktas
So that I understand, the new BS asm comes with a new hex shaft? Or did you use the old one? It is interesting you mentioned the noise was eliminated, does this mean the hex shaft has minimal impact on the noise issue?

I would think that a gear system would 'preload' the hexshaft against its hexhole and eliminate any motion that could cause a strange noise.

GreasedLightnin December 17th, 2008 18:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by auntulna
Those of us with mortal mechanical skills are humbled by your collective tour de force in figuring this problem out, finding the corrective parts, and replacing them. Needless to say, I won't be doin' the fixin' around here Bobalouie! I will be in touch for eventual scheduling for the grand overhaul.

Brian and Glen. You two are truly tdi warriors. Hats off to you. I'll be making the trip to St. Louis soon.
Thanks so much for the peace of mind.
Rock on!:D

EJS December 18th, 2008 06:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreasedLightnin
Brian and Glen. You two are truly tdi warriors. Hats off to you.

Ditto - thanks so much for all the time & effort you guys put into this.

On the upside it would seem I have some of the tools required to do the job (MOTOOL-GH0002, OHTOOL-BJ0002, & OHTOOL-BJ0001)
- who'd a thunk.

Skivvies December 18th, 2008 16:04

MOGolf and OH, thanks for the initiative, dedication, and generosity in trying this setup and supplying us with these instructions.
Just as a heads up to those that will be purchasing the parts, I just placed an order for those parts listed in the procedure. For the big ticket balance shaft module, 22 are on order and should be sent from the manufacturer mid-January. 6 of these are spoken for as of yesterday. I don't know if this is fact, but this is what I was told by the VW parts dept.

outthere December 18th, 2008 19:07

Has anyone considered the following idea?

Find 6 B5 owners in your area. Buy 6 BS modules. Rent a shop for a weekend. Fly in OH/MOGolf for a weekend GTG and split/share costs.

It seems like it would be easier to fly them in and work on 6 cars at once than to have 6 cars drive a couple thousand miles RT for a repair.

I like my car and dont think its unreasonable to sink 2500-3000 bucks into a car that will make it last another 5 or more years. I'm not sure I can explain a 1700 mile road trip from MD to St. Louis though.

JungleDeath December 18th, 2008 19:18

I like the above idea but, what about their tools?

Smokerr December 18th, 2008 20:33

MOGolf and Oilhammer I can only say, my deepest admiration (and I don't give that out to anyone hardly ever).

I have now written NHTSA (two now) and VW of A (the CEO) letters as well as one to my congresswoman.

I would urge all others to do the same.

If we can't hep them with the immediate fight we can support them in other ways.

One thing I suggested is that if we have to have the timing belt done at 80k in order to change out the OP and BS, then they prorate that.

Lug_Nut December 19th, 2008 05:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokerr
One thing I suggested is that if we have to have the timing belt done at 80k in order to change out the OP and BS, then they prorate that.

Pro-rate what? The belt is reportedly now an 80k mile belt:( ...

see post #11
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=231467

or
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=229870