BRM random smoke and low oil pressure light

BRM06

TDI
2006 Jetta BRM
*2006 VW Jetta TDI BRM MK5* MODS: Kerma TDI - head, head gasket, valves, and cam. OEM: Tandem Pump, EGR, EGR Cooler, and (all sensors, other than OPS).
Fluids:
Engine Oil - 5w40 Full Synthetic (https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/COR438)
Coolant - Peak Global Extended Life
(https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/PER00243)
Personal Background: Heavy Equipment Mech specialized in diesel engines. New to VW/Cars.
I bought a 2006 jetta with the BRM engine at a low price due to malfunctions. found white smoke/ coolant leak and low power. found the low power / no boost due to a faulty turbo actuator. ( Replaced actuator. Fixed low power) ( tested coolant system and found leak via head gasket. removed head and found leak on #4 cyl. checked block deck for warpage and found none. Installed new Kerma TDI Head and head gasket with new valves and cam pre installed. (Torqued to Spec.) New radiator and heater core hoses. fixed coolant leak.) Now that engine is back together and running smoothly ( Fluid Levels are correct.) the engine will randomly start smoking out the tale pipe after being driven for about an hour then idling. ( cant tell to color of the smoke, its almost white as far as I can tell.) oil pressure light will go off randomly. ( I broke the OEM OPS when installing turbo oil supply line and replaced with NAPA branded OPS) Possibly NAPA brand OPS is bad? ( tired 2 different sensors, second has worked better than the 1st. (Have not removed oil pan to view oil pump chain.)(Also reused valve Cover Gasket that has a know leak(Plan to replace gasket)). Also plugged in a mechanical oil gauge at idle, found oil pressure to be normal at idle and during parked acceleration.
All coolant and engine oil has been replaced.
Any Ideas? any help most useful.
Additional Info after repairs: Have True VCDS cable. No CEL (Only random Oil Pressure Light) . Does NOT over heat. Does NOT leak oil.

Last edited:

BRM06

TDI
2006 Jetta BRM
Timing belt, water pump, idler, and tensioner. where replaced with new head. used vw timing tools. via Kerma TDI.

BRM06

TDI
2006 Jetta BRM
a month later and I have discovered a few things. as far as the oil pressure sender goes you need to have the sensor with the "brown plastic connector" its the correct Bar setting for vw cars Napas is black and has its own pressure rating that trips the oil pressure light. as far as the smoking it was as simple as my vacuum pump line leaking / getting pinched closed. both easy fixes. hope this will help anyone with similar issues.