TDIClub Forums

TDIClub Forums (http://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php)
-   VW B5 Passat TDIs (http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   BHW Balance Shaft Module replacement (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=233651)

BHarrison June 14th, 2009 11:16

Hammer, do you have part numbers or links to these parts? Also, is there a special tool needed for the A/C clutch pulley? Don't know if it's the same, but the a/c clutch pulley on one of our B4 Passats blew into pieces one day.

Quote:

Originally Posted by oilhammer
Engine mounts are common. Check for purplish stainage on teh bottoms where the juice leaks out.

Alternator clutch pulley. These sometimes make noise, and in some cases come apart.

Both the mounts and the pulley have updated parts available.

Benjamin June 14th, 2009 16:15

A Canadian source for parts hopefully, wahooo!

leobg June 15th, 2009 21:35

I was checking cost of parts at dealer (Canada). Just above $1,800 before taxes (2K and change taxes incl.)

I was trying to do the $$ math with parts from word impex - comes slightly cheaper, but UPS has the nasty habit to charge outrageous brokerage fees, so after currency conversion, shipping and Canadian taxes (and that brokerage) things come almost close to even..

Anyone know better source for the parts to get in Canada?

volkswagendude June 16th, 2009 00:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by leobg
I was checking cost of parts at dealer (Canada). Just above $1,800 before taxes (2K and change taxes incl.)

I was trying to do the $$ math with parts from word impex - comes slightly cheaper, but UPS has the nasty habit to charge outrageous brokerage fees, so after currency conversion, shipping and Canadian taxes (and that brokerage) things come almost close to even..

Ya.

Just try to find a vendor who is willing to use your FedEx Account#. $9 flat brokerage fee.

UPS on the other hannd is on cloud 9 with their 3 digit at times brokerage fees. :mad:

leicaman June 16th, 2009 06:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by volkswagendude
Ya.

Just try to find a vendor who is willing to use your FedEx Account#. $9 flat brokerage fee.

UPS on the other hannd is on cloud 9 with their 3 digit at times brokerage fees. :mad:

I once eBayed a nice Nikon Zoom to a guy in England. He absolutely insisted on UPS. Oh boy. He had to cough out several hundred in brokerage fees ALONE. Normally I use the Postal Service In'tl priority where they don't ask for your first born in return for brokerage.

dhuddleson June 16th, 2009 09:32

leobg,

Why don't you try contacting Brandon at DCB Automotive, near Finch & 400 in Toronto. You can find his contact info in the Ontario forum. Find the topic "Ontario 04-05 Passat Balance Shaft Repairs ". He does these BS jobs, but may sell you the parts to do yourself...

earlthepearl June 17th, 2009 06:53

Finally unchained

The wife's Passat is finally back on the road, with her behind the wheel, and I get my 09 Jetta TDI back. We picked the car up yesterday from the guys at MF Automotive in Knoxville. What a bunch of great guys. With 180k on the odo, they helped us out with a couple other issues in addition to the BS mod. Now, with new motor mounts, axle assemblies, and torque converter, we are ready for another 180k. The wife is happy, and so am I.:)

leicaman June 17th, 2009 19:27

Today was a great day. My B5.5 too is unchained as of today by Oilhammer. I see EarlthePearl that congrats to you too is in order!

leicaman June 18th, 2009 06:20

Well now that the dust has settled, I just want you to know that Oilhammer's crew at Cardoc is one of the best repair experiences I have ever had. He was efficient. Took great obvious pride in his craft and his support staff etc. were all so very friendly. You all should be proud of your team!

I went the full deal, BS gear conversion, glow plugs, water pump, tensioner, timing belt, drive belt, motor mounts, alternator pulley etc.

First observations. My family, who has lots of riding miles under their collective seat belts, noticed the reduced noise and vibration instantly. My wife said, "I never really noticed the noise before that much, but now that it is gone I really notice the lack of it."

I observed that the car seems more like when I bought it. The car just sounds more precise and I feel better about driving it all around the USA.

Next project? Well I am going to be at the dieselgrandad GTG to get my ecm reflashed, so the glow plug relay can be hooked back up again. Oh yea and a little more power via RC-1 ;)

Oh and for you fellow owners who have not done this, I urge you to do so for peace of mine at the very least. It gets real expensive if the freaking chain blows on you according to Oilhammer.

T_D_I_POWER June 18th, 2009 06:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by leobg

You should instruct WI to ship using USPS to ship to Canada. It will go straight to Canada Post and thru custom with no problem and no brokerage fees etc.

leobg June 18th, 2009 07:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by T_D_I_POWER
You should instruct WI to ship using USPS to ship to Canada. It will go straight to Canada Post and thru custom with no problem and no brokerage fees etc.

With USPS I will be paying only the goods tax which is 13% here, but for sure there will be no brokerage fee. I will call them to see how much shipping via USPS will be. Thanks for the suggestion TDI Power!

leobg June 18th, 2009 07:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhuddleson
leobg,

Why don't you try contacting Brandon at DCB Automotive, near Finch & 400 in Toronto. You can find his contact info in the Ontario forum. Find the topic "Ontario 04-05 Passat Balance Shaft Repairs ". He does these BS jobs, but may sell you the parts to do yourself...

I am kind of afraid not to offend him by asking for the parts only. I am sure he is no autoparts store and won't appreciate this.
I was (still) considering having Brandon do the job and keep my hands clean, but work is a good chunk of the cache for this job and considering how significant it is, I am still tempted to try saving it. Huh :confused:

leobg June 18th, 2009 07:58

Hey guys/gals,

since I am not quite sure how the "marbles in blender" sound (and have no intension to reproduce the sound :)), I decided to take recording of the sound of my car. FYI - the recording is taken with plastic shield from the top of the engine taken away and the accessory belt (alternator/ps pump/etc) taken off to eliminate any other extra noises that might "spoil" the sound.
Here is the recording: http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.ph...1&ppuser=22350 it is taken with no professional equipment of any sort of course (I used my cell phone), but I think recording is pretty on the spot with the real thing.

I will appreciate experts opinion on this one!

oilhammer June 18th, 2009 08:08

You will generally hear more of the bad sounds with everything in place, the hood shut, standing outside the front of the car.

And even then, this is really a moot point since they will all need this eventually anyways.

leobg June 18th, 2009 08:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by oilhammer
You will generally hear more of the bad sounds with everything in place, the hood shut, standing outside the front of the car.

And even then, this is really a moot point since they will all need this eventually anyways.

Alright. I will take another recording following your recommendation OH! As soon as my alternator pulley shows up (thanks to this forum for helping me pinpoint this problem, I would never thought about a clutch in that pully!)

ps. forgot to mention - when I listen underneat the car - close to the area where the balance shaft module is - I think I can hear the chain, I have the feeling it doesn't glide very smooth. I don't think it is slapping yet Believe me - i know how this sounds and what it means (when fail) with my old VR6 where I had to go the whole nine yards... I don't plan going thru the same with the TDI, so I am doing the BSM as soon as possible (trying to orginize it right now).