True Silent design Southbend Clutches only at kermaTDI

VailPowder

RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten
TDI
2005 Jetta TDI Sedan, 1998 New Beetle TDI, 2004 Jetta TDI
A real 'Silent Design' clutch has been in the works for a while.

In stock exclusively at kermaTDI

Same Models / Same Prices/ Same Torque ratings... but now an improved friction plate for a smoother and quieter performance.

Southbend Stage 1

http://www.kermatdi.com/servlet/-strse-754/Southbend-Stage-1-Clutch/Detail

Southbend Stage 2 Daily

http://www.kermatdi.com/servlet/-strse-404/ENDURANCE-%09-FLYWHEEL-%09/Detail

Southbend Stage 2 Endurance

http://www.kermatdi.com/servlet/-strse-404/ENDURANCE- -FLYWHEEL- /Detail

Southbend Stage 3 Endurance

http://www.kermatdi.com/servlet/-strse-8219/Southbend-Stage-3-Endurance/Detail

Until May 1 club members get free shipping in the 48 US states and $49 off international shipments

We will also offer either :

-a free Transaxle Stretch Bolts,
-or a free Clutch Lever with Clip,
-or $31 off the purchase of .658 or .681 5th gear upgrade.

The Southbend clutches have always been great ....now they are even better!

Last edited:

A5INKY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
A real 'Silent Design' clutch has been in the works for a while.

In stock exclusively at kermaTDI

Same Models / Same Prices/ Same Torque ratings... but now an improved friction plate for and smoother and quieter performance...
So, are you saying that everyone else advertising "silent" Southbend clutches don't actually have them? Or, that they have now been locked out of being able to offer them going forward?

VailPowder

TDI
So, are you saying that everyone else advertising "silent" Southbend clutches don't actually have them? Or, that they have now been locked out of being able to offer them going forward?
Not going there :D

I will say this; we finished the final beta test with Southbend on March 15, 2012 and production began after that date. kermaTDI has all of the new Silent Design product, in stock ...and will have for the foreseeable future.

"The new silent design uses a pre dampened friction disc that absorbs the engine vibration so the trans will not make the clatter noise. This is the only difference, all other aspects of the clutch are the same, including the price and TQ rating."

Now I suppose we all know the next wave of internet tricks and product clones may pop up .... so ' Let the Games Begin ' :cool:

A5INKY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
Hmm, TDI clutches disappeared from Southbend's website. Monopolized another supplier it seems.

VailPowder

TDI

Cryogenic Freezing​
Cryogenic Processing is a one time, permanent and irreversible treatment that affects the entire object, not just the surface.
Cryogenics is a form of heat treat. The material being treated is exposed to extremely cold temperatures in a controlled atmosphere. As the material drops in temperature the molecular movement starts to slow down and the individual molecules move closer together. When the temperature is maintained at below -300º F the molecules virtually stop moving and become very compact. Upon thawing at a controlled rate they begin to spread out evenly, creating a consistent molecular pattern. When the material becomes room temperature again all the molecules are now distributed equally and aligned in an extremely consistent grain pattern. The new consistent grain structure distributes the flow of energy evenly throughout the entire object, eliminating stress points. This elimination of stress points creates a consistent and evenly distributed microstructure. The treated material has a new grain pattern with no weak points and is stronger and more durable than ever before.
In scientific terms the process is a transformation of the retained austenite structure into a martensite atom structure. The soft retained austenite atom structure is changed by using the correct cycle of temperature changes into its harder form, which is a martensite atom structure. This is the actual strengthening agent.
A good comparison can be made between the Cryogenic Process and the quenching of melted metal ore. Quenching is the rapid cooling of metal using water or oil. The Cryogenic Process can be thought of in the same fashion, except that Cryogenics takes the quenching process to -300 degrees F and is a dry process.

blownaway

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 TDI (waiting for my 02M conversion) 99.5 TDI(totalled) 2002 gasser wagon, 2012 Golf
Hmmmm. Sort of wish I would have waited.

Merlyn

TDI
02 Jetta GLS TDI Manual-5s
Are these new "Silent" southbend clutches for use on 02J 5-speed transmissions?

There was significant confusion with the previous release of "Silent" clutches from Southbend which in actuality were only available for the 02M 6-speed transmissions and not the 02J 5-speeds.

VailPowder

TDI
Are these new "Silent" southbend clutches for use on 02J 5-speed transmissions?

There was significant confusion with the previous release of "Silent" clutches from Southbend which in actuality were only available for the 02M 6-speed transmissions and not the 02J 5-speeds.
I remember, we worked on the 6 speed Silent Design ... [ but we did not call it that.] We also have a few new projects in the works, more on those in the future when they really exist.

This new Silent Design clutch upgrade is for the 02J 5-speed.

"The new silent design uses a pre dampened friction disc that absorbs the engine vibration so the trans will not make the clatter noise. This is the only difference, all other aspects of the clutch are the same, including the price and TQ rating."

And we have:

- Stage 1,
- Stage 2 Daily,
- Stage 2 Endurance,
- and Stage 3 Endurance

All in true Silent Design :D

This is the first time a Silent Design O2J 5-speed Southbend clutch really exists. It has been in the works for a while, and 3 weeks ago we completed testing and the project was approved.

As far as I know, kerma has all the Silent Design product, and there is no other place that has them.

We have been shipping Silent Design for VW TDI's 02J 5-speeds since March 15, 2012 and will not have any of the previous versions.

All our 6 speed TDI clutches are Silent Design and have been since since Fall of 2012

------

Same Models / Same Prices/ Same Torque ratings... but now an improved friction plate for a smoother and quieter performance.

Southbend Stage 1

http://www.kermatdi.com/servlet/-str...-Clutch/Detail

Southbend Stage 2 Daily

http://www.kermatdi.com/servlet/-str...EEL-%09/Detail

Southbend Stage 2 Endurance

http://www.kermatdi.com/servlet/-str...EEL-%09/Detail

Southbend Stage 3 Endurance

http://www.kermatdi.com/servlet/-str...durance/Detail

Until May 1 club members get free shipping in the 48 US states and $49 off international shipments

We will also offer either :

- free Transaxle Stretch Bolts,
- or, a free Clutch Lever with Clip,
- or, $3 1instant rebate on the purchase of .658 or .681 5th gear upgrade.

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
I thought all clutch discs had torsional coupling springs? What's new here? Softer springs that have an effect at idle? Friction material in hub for damping?

vogelspinnen

TDI
VW caddy
Awesome! Been waiting for something like this for the O2J! It will be next in my shopping list after the 1856 and rebuilt head :D

VailPowder

TDI
I thought all clutch discs had torsional coupling springs? What's new here? Softer springs that have an effect at idle? Friction material in hub for damping?
You are correct, about the torsional coupling springs :D

Here's the style Southbend that has worked so well for a long time

Having been burned before , I am more careful about protecting our hard work... pictures of the new friction plate will be posted... but not just yet

Here's the new Silent Design... but not showing the new plate:

We have received a few Pallets of the new Silent Design

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
How is this your hard work? Scott Dewitt and RyanP have been offering silent disks for a while now.

VailPowder

TDI
How is this your hard work? Scott Dewitt and RyanP have been offering silent disks for a while now.
Southbend said that claims of Silent Design 02J 5 Speed Silent Design Southbend clutches were not based in fact.

When this stuff first surfaced , this was what Southbend thought was true:

"There is no silent clutch for the 5 sp"

"We don't have a silent design for this"

There was a clutch that was developed for the Euro 6 speed, and we were involved in getting this project started, and did the beta test. And that design was intended to reduce chatter...and so was considered a 'silent' project.

Last edited:

VailPowder

TDI
so are you calling the other vendors liars then? And do they no longer have access to the product?
No, I posted a special on a brand new product from Southbend. Other club members keep dredging up possible inconsistencies regarding alleged 'silent design' 5 speed clutches.

In Post # 3 I responded:

Quote:
Originally Posted by A5INKY

Not going there :D

I will say this; we finished the final beta test with Southbend on March 15, 2012 and production began after that date. kermaTDI has all of the new Silent Design product, in stock ...and will have for the foreseeable future.

Now I suppose we all know the next wave of internet tricks and product clones may pop up .... so ' Let the Games Begin ' :cool:

=========

I see no purpose in beating this to death. I have good reason to believe that this is the very first time that true Silent Design 02J 5-speed clutches have ever been offered for sale.

I worked with Southbend to get these made, and tested. As of March 15, 2012; they are a reality ...and pallets have arrived in Colorado and we are shipping this new upgraded version.

08jetvette

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, 2000 Golf
If these are as quiet as the 6 speeds clutches, you will have some happy people.

What is the weight of the flywheel Paul?

VailPowder

TDI
The 5 speed Single Mass Flywheel stays the same at 22 lbs on the Silent Design

How are you liking the 6 Speed clutch?

Happy Easter!

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
Remember that ryanp's focus was the 6 speed trans. Paul's focus is the 02J here. We are comparing apples to oranges here.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
Remember that ryanp's focus was the 6 speed trans. Paul's focus is the 02J here. We are comparing apples to oranges here.
It's apples and oranges if the thread would have stated that it was 02J specific from the beginning, but it didn't and things got adjusted. I think folks wouldn't be so bent if things like "The only supplier" weren't said time and time again. Just rubbing the other vendors, excuse me, competition the wrong way when they can't reply.

08jetvette

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, 2000 Golf
I don't see a problem here. If Paul put the time and effort into this endeaver, why shouldn't he have exclusive rights to it. Looks like he invested quite a bit to bring this to the masses.

By the way, loving the clutch Paul, it's wisper quiet and holding what little power I have (for now) with ease.

VailPowder

TDI
I don't see a problem here. If Paul put the time and effort into this endeaver, why shouldn't he have exclusive rights to it. Looks like he invested quite a bit to bring this to the masses.

By the way, loving the clutch Paul, it's wisper quiet and holding what little power I have (for now) with ease.
Thanks~ We put a lot of effort into making cool products available for these cars

I appreciate the support! You were one of the first beta testers for the new 02M 6 speed clutch.

We started with Southbend back in 2008 and over 3 years ago requested that Southbend change their 228mm O2J flywheel , and Southbend listened.

That is why we all enjoy the 22 lbs flywheel with timing marks for our 02J 5 speeds.

3 years ago we asked Southbend about the European 6 speeds, and initial conversations began. Over a year ago, this project finally picked up momentum... and now we have a 27 lbs 240mm flywheel and different friction for the 02M 6 speed.

A lot of people helped, especially someone in Canada who was the alpha tester, and more than that he added the extra push and focus to the project. That one person was key to getting this new 'silent' 6 speed clutch designed and tested.

You were the earliest beta tester, and that clutch I sent you was the first production piece ever of the current 240 mm 27lbs 02M 6 speed clutch with new friction design...after that test the product was released and made available. Ironically, for all the time and effort I put into the 6 speed project...I don't think I ever made a single 02M clutch sale. [ and that is why I don't want to get burned again on this 02J 5 Silent Design ] Eventually everyone will have them, but for now , this new design is only at kerma.

Initially there were not that many 6 speed trannies in the US market, and kerma wanted this product primarily for European sales.

The new Silent Design 228mm 5 speed 02J was first started at least 18 months ago, and credit goes to some of the techs we work with...and their comments and ideas. They helped us focus on the next upgrade for this product.

I think Southbend deserves a lot of credit for listening to its dealers and customers and making so many improvements in the TDI clutch line. TDI clutches are only one small part of their business and Southbend could easily have disregarded this niche market segment.

Especially, early on when Southbend TDI clutches were cloned and attacked by individuals that were buying and re-branding spray painted Southbend clutches and then attacking Southbend : claiming Southbend to be inferior and supposedly Made In China. This 'counterfeit and spread falsehoods' about real companies by people with keyboards , not factories and employees, is pretty incredible for businesses to encounter.

Southbend could have simply decided the TDI market was parasitic and was too small and too toxic.

It is painful to bring a quality product to market, and then have the ideas and designs show up as counterfeits, copies, and clones.... and then face cowardly attacks and statements about quality, reputation, and whatever dirty trick someone will stoop to , just to make a sale.

Instead, Southbend has supported our vehicles and listened and worked with us .... and the TDI products have improved whenever there was a way to make them better.

How could we build fun 5 and 6 speed TDI's without a quality clutch to handle the power?

Southbend has been fantastic to work with!

Last edited:

racerxtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 5spd GLS
To ALL:

I am willing to put all speculation to rest and sacrifice my car. Once a SBC Endurance 2 is provide to me FREE I have it installed by an ASE Master Mechanic.

I will provide a complete review of the New Silent Design SBC Endurance 2 clutch kits for 5spd. I will also post pictures and video/videos. This will prove or disprove the claim.

I am not associated with any vendors or companies. I am a totally independent owner of a 2003 VW Jetta TDi 5spd.

So what do you say Paul? Do you want me to PM you my address?

Great Advertizing Opportunity! I not an CPA but you could write it off! (some how)

VailPowder

TDI
To ALL:

I am willing to put all speculation to rest and sacrifice my car. Once a SBC Endurance 2 is provide to me FREE I have it installed by an ASE Master Mechanic.

I will provide a complete review of the New Silent Design SBC Endurance 2 clutch kits for 5spd. I will also post pictures and video/videos. This will prove or disprove the claim.

I am not associated with any vendors or companies. I am a totally independent owner of a 2003 VW Jetta TDi 5spd.

So what do you say Paul? Do you want me to PM you my address?

Great Advertizing Opportunity! I not an CPA but you could write it off! (some how)
That is a very generous offer

Maybe a little too generous, but thanks for playing :D

If you would like to call me we can discuss some variations on this theme.

I think a one time offer to someone on the forum to shoot a good clutch install DIY video might be the way to do this for free, or for super low cost.

We all know Southbend quality and most people 'get it'...this is a new upgraded design that takes the TDI clutch to a higher level.

Liseed

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 2 door GOLF TDI; 2009 Touareg 3.0 TDI
I would be happy to produce a DIY video of this in exchange for the clutch. :D
I happen to have my engine and trans on the cherry picker as I write this. My stock original flywheel grenaded. My project is focused on mods that increase engine efficiency to get better MPG. If more power and torque are by products, then I GUESS I can live with that!:D

I also plan on tearing down the O2J trans to install EUH guts into my DQY tranny (I was able to aquire an EUH tranny with a cracked case for next to nothing), new seals, .622 5th and .917 4th as well as repair/replace anything else as needed.

-JR

Last edited:

VailPowder

TDI
I would be happy to produce a DIY video of this in exchange for the clutch. :D
I happen to have my engine and trans on the cherry picker as I write this. My project is focused on mods to increase engine efficiency to get better MPG. If more power and torque are by products, then I GUESS I can live with that!:D

I also plan on tearing down the OJ2 trans to install EUH guts into my DQY tranny (I was able to aquire an EUH tranny with a cracked case for next to nothing), new seals, .622 5th and .917 4th as well as repair/replace anything else as needed.

-JR
Thanks JR

Winner winner ! You get the clutch!

Cheers

3hone

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Sportwagen TDI
I have what I believe to be the 'silent' version of the Stage II Endurance since it was shipped out on the 16th of March. I am finished the break in period and indeed it is silent. Absolutely no clatter! Very very nice product. Thanks again Paul.