Recommendation for slush & salt

Masonjar

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon GL
protection for the car interior?

Up here in the land of ice and snow (and salt and slush) what kind of floor liners are you using> I have a good set of mats to cover the horizontal surfaces, but salt and crap is getting up the sides as well.

Both Weathertech and Husky are vague enough that I am not sure that their liners fit. Can I pick (for example) a 2004 Jetta sedan fit and expect that it will also fit the 2005 wagon?

Advice and recommendations appreciated!

Andrew

Last edited:

Sweeps

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently. MK4/5/6 Jetta's in the past.
I love my weather tech floor liners. They do a very good job of keeping out most of the salt and water.

You can always call them, but I think the liners for any MK4 sedan or wagon would be the same. ( except the trunk! )

mrvermin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I swear by my "Monster Mats"... I swap them in at the beginning of Fall and swap them out for the standard carpet mats in the spring.

If you are lucky, you can spot the VW Monster Mats going on here or VWVortex, but you have to be quick :cool:

MrVermin

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Monster mats have deep ribs so do a good job of collecting slush and keeping it from soaking your pant legs. However, I find they lack in protecting the sides of the footwell. I have monsters in my Jetta and Husky liners in my Journey and the husky liners are definately better at protecting the carpet on the sides. I would say they protect from 1-3 inches (on my Journey). The monster mats are flat and do not protect the sides at all. Once my monsters wear out, I will be buying Husky liners to replace them with.

One thing I should mention, Husky liners are also more plastic than rubber. They are very rigid and not flexible like regular rubber mats. At first, I was dissapointed in them because I was expecting rubber mats. But have since grown used to them. They are thinner and lighter and easier to clean. the only downside to the husky liners is the absence of the ribs that collect the water/slush. So you have to decide which is more important. Protecting your pants or protecting your carpets.

Whichever mat you choose, they are all moulded to fit each car specifically, so the fitment is great. Any MKIV Golf or Jetta front mat will fit your wagon.

Last edited:

Masonjar

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon GL
Got a confirmation from Husky that they do not have anything for the 2005 Jetta Wagon. I suppose above^^ is correct that the fronts will fit from any MkIV, but that still leaves the rear (kids) and hatch (dog).

Weathertech chat guy was hung up on whether I had round or oval posts. Once I told him that they can be changed, he said anything will fit - despite the fronts not being compatible with manual transmission, and the hatch being only for "Sportwagen".

:(

Other options? Thanks!

Andrew

BTW - I have the Monsters in my 01 Golf and they are great, although they don't protect the vertical carpeting as much as I'd like. ;)

DPoirier

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf TDi 2003
Just curious... I'm in Ottawa, and have been wanting to get a set of Weathertech mats for a 2008 Golf City... no luck on the Weathertech web site (that model is not listed). I checked the link above (autoanything), and for 2008 they only have GTI, Rabbit and Jetta (which leads me to think this may be a USA web store?)...

I emailed Weathertech to inquire, but they never bothered to respond.

Inquiring minds want to know... why is it so difficult to buy something from this company?

Masonjar

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon GL
After looking around more, I have come to the conclusion that what you see is what you get - whether it is WeatherTech directly, or through a third party. You could try some things (like other years, etc) but it is on your own time (and dime).

Andrew

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
When I was looking for mats for the Journey, I e-mailed both Weathertech and Husky about fitment on my car. They changed the mounting postions of the hooks between 2011 & 2012 models and I wanted to know if they altered their design to accomodate for the change. I got no response from Weathertech and got one back within the hour from Husky. So I went with Husky.

In your case, the City Golf is identical to any 2000-2005 model year Golf, so just order one from any of those years and it will fit.

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
Use any winter mat you like, one with deep ribs preferably.
In winter I make it a habit of taking the mats out daily when all that crap is frozen from sitting overnight, that way they are always dry
Also Canadian Tire sells a foaming salt stain remover that dries and can be vaccumed out

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Cogen Man

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG.
Just curious... I'm in Ottawa, and have been wanting to get a set of Weathertech mats for a 2008 Golf City... no luck on the Weathertech web site (that model is not listed). I checked the link above (autoanything), and for 2008 they only have GTI, Rabbit and Jetta (which leads me to think this may be a USA web store?)...

I emailed Weathertech to inquire, but they never bothered to respond.

Inquiring minds want to know... why is it so difficult to buy something from this company?
Do you have an Auto Add-on or a Parts Source store in your area ? Both places can get you the Weathertech Digital Fit mats.
The above link I attached is an Americam site. San Diego I believe. It was just attached as a comparison for Husky vs WeatherTech.

Last edited: