TDIClub Forums

TDIClub Forums (http://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php)
-   VW MKVI-A6 Jetta Sedan (~ 2011+) (http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   "New" 2015 TDI Plan (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=484153)

abused-TDI November 29th, 2017 07:22

"New" 2015 TDI Plan

So my 2005 A4 TDI is about to roll 500,000 miles. I am seriously considering a "new" 201 TDI from the dealer. Is the A6 format every bit as reliable as my A4 platform? That thing is basically bullet proof as far as cars go.

16vjohn November 30th, 2017 22:41

That's the PD engine, right? The Mk4 drivetrains were generally durable, but the PD engines had their own issues. I'd say durability is probably par between the CVCA and the old PDs. There are A LOT more complicated emissions controls and the maintenance will be more difficult. For example, the oil filter can only be accessed from underneath. The water to air intercoolers add a lot of hoses and wires. The engine bay is very cramped.

Bottom line, you will miss the simplicity of your Mk4, but the Mk6 platform is so much better and functional. Will it make 500k? I doubt it... But I don't see why high 200s wouldn't be possible with the right care.

abused-TDI December 1st, 2017 07:14

Well I just secured an S model with the 6 speed DSG in it. 94 miles on it. Hopefully it provides more cabin heat when it is -30F out! I still plan on putting more miles down on the 2005 version but she has few issues, especially when it is cold out. I am thinking about getting some version of a VAG-COM. Is there one that will talk to both of these cars?

16vjohn December 1st, 2017 22:11

The latest VIN/license-crippled version of VCDS from the money grabbers at Ross Tech will talk to both. Good option if you like paying money for engineered limitations to a company with virtually no competition. But yes, my bitterness aside, it will work with both cars.

Btw, your new 15' has a 80amp auxiliary heater, a water pump with a damper, and an "integrated exhaust manifold" inside the cylinder head. All those things combined make them more hospitable and comfortable than any diesel I've ever owned. On more mild days between 20 and 30F, I had heat 4 blocks from home. S models had heated seats... it's just a really good winter car.

You'll love it... welcome to the Mk6 family. Be at peace knowing the entire fuel system, turbo, entire emissions system, ECU, and long block are all covered by a 11 year/162,000 mile warranty thanks to dieselgate.

rustycat December 2nd, 2017 11:12

I'll throw a hearty endorsement on loving the 15. Our SEL TDI just rolled up on 6500 miles. Since buying it in May there have been zero issues, squeaks or gremlins. A fantastic car. The cabin heats quickly, but I don't notice much difference in reaching engine temps quicker with the EA288 engine. Just took a Thanksgiving trip from Seattle to Paso Robles. I got 51 mpg through central Cali with speeds up to 85mph. Our 13 SEL never saw 50 mpg. The traction control also seems a bit more refined than the 13 (but I could be wrong for sure). I did hit a flooded spot on I5 and noticed the traction control light on the dashing flashing away, but never felt it being applied--very subtle.

NAZ TDI December 3rd, 2017 11:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by 16vjohn (Post 5354903)
The latest VIN/license-crippled version of VCDS from the money grabbers at Ross Tech will talk to both. Good option if you like paying money for engineered limitations to a company with virtually no competition. But yes, my bitterness aside, it will work with both cars.

Btw, your new 15' has a 80amp auxiliary heater, a water pump with a damper, and an "integrated exhaust manifold" inside the cylinder head.

Just a side note on the "integrated exhaust manifold". My 1940 Ford with flathead V8 has much the same thing. The exhaust passages from the valves go through the water jacket to the other side of the block before exiting.

By the way, I also thoroughly enjoy my 2015 TDI!

abused-TDI December 4th, 2017 07:53

Thanks everyone. All I need to do is decide if I want the extended warranty or the paid maintenance package. I am leaning toward "NO" to both since I drive about 30,000 miles per year so the mileage limits always trump the years on those plans. Plus the service package ends at 50K, you can't get one that would pay for a timing belt change. I always change my own oil too so I can't see either paying for themselves.

abused-TDI December 4th, 2017 07:58

Although I did just see the transmission filter and fluid should be changed at 40,000 on the DSG. Is this an easy job or a PITA (my 2005 tiptronic needs the tranny removed to do this apparently)

rustycat December 4th, 2017 09:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by abused-TDI (Post 5355478)
Although I did just see the transmission filter and fluid should be changed at 40,000 on the DSG. Is this an easy job or a PITA (my 2005 tiptronic needs the tranny removed to do this apparently)

There's good video's on Youtube on changing the trans fluid. I opted for the prepaid service package, as I'm old with stiff and aching joints and figured, at driving 12k a year, inflation will make the prepaid service a winner.

abused-TDI December 12th, 2017 09:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by 16vjohn (Post 5354903)

Btw, your new 15' has a 80amp auxiliary heater, a water pump with a damper, and an "integrated exhaust manifold" inside the cylinder head. All those things combined make them more hospitable and comfortable than any diesel I've ever owned. On more mild days between 20 and 30F, I had heat 4 blocks from home. S models had heated seats... it's just a really good winter car.

You'll love it... welcome to the Mk6 family. Be at peace knowing the entire fuel system, turbo, entire emissions system, ECU, and long block are all covered by a 11 year/162,000 mile warranty thanks to dieselgate.

Is this the correct VIN crippled VAG COM you speak of?

https://www.idparts.com/product_info.php?products_id=434{281}109

Thanks for the info on the warranty. The dealer confirmed Phase 1 is complete on the car and confirmed the warranty as you told me.

16vjohn December 12th, 2017 21:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by abused-TDI (Post 5358440)
Is this the correct VIN crippled VAG COM you speak of?
https://www.idparts.com/product_info.php?products_id=434{281}109
Thanks for the info on the warranty. The dealer confirmed Phase 1 is complete on the car and confirmed the warranty as you told me.

Yep, that's the one. Did you ask if they will give you the dieselgate money when Phase 2 is ready? That could be an awesome way to get another two or three grand off the price. I'm not sure what incentive anybody would have to get the second phase if the new owner wasn't entitled to the 1/3 payment from Phase 2.

abused-TDI December 14th, 2017 09:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by 16vjohn (Post 5358743)
Yep, that's the one. Did you ask if they will give you the dieselgate money when Phase 2 is ready? That could be an awesome way to get another two or three grand off the price. I'm not sure what incentive anybody would have to get the second phase if the new owner wasn't entitled to the 1/3 payment from Phase 2.

Great question. I just fired off that question to the dealer. We will see what I get back.

abused-TDI December 14th, 2017 09:13

So the guy I have been working with also has a TDI, here is is response:

I know I am getting compensation for my Phase 2 whenever I do it on my TDI as part of my overall compensation. They split it up like 60% for Phase 1 and the remaining 40% when I complete Phase 2. So yes, for me there is an incentive for completing the repair. I honestly cannot answer your question with any certainty. Part of me agrees with you saying that you would have no reason to do Phase 2 if you weren't being compensated. But another part of me, thinking how VW might think of it, saying that you are getting a great rebate and interest rate and that would count as compensation. And since Phase 2 isn't out yet, customers who purchased them from the dealers can't attest to what their experiences have been. And I just spoke with my Sales Director and he said he hasn't heard anything from VW regarding your concern. So as I said, I can't answer your question with any certainty, but you do bring up an excellent point.

16vjohn December 14th, 2017 10:33

That seems like a good assessment with the information we have.

I can tell you that the court settlement required VW to remove from the road or repair 85% of the impacted vehicles. It's my understanding that they were lumped into generations too... meaning, 85% of the Gen3s will have to be repaired or crushed. Without the financial incentive to get phase 2 done, VW will have a very hard time meeting the requirements of the settlement.

I know VW wants this behind them more than anybody... with the crap they've had to deal with I would be shocked if they decide to gamble on cars sold post dieselgate.

keaton December 14th, 2017 11:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by 16vjohn (Post 5354541)
That's the PD engine, right? The Mk4 drivetrains were generally durable, but the PD engines had their own issues. I'd say durability is probably par between the CVCA and the old PDs. There are A LOT more complicated emissions controls and the maintenance will be more difficult. For example, the oil filter can only be accessed from underneath. The water to air intercoolers add a lot of hoses and wires. The engine bay is very cramped.

Bottom line, you will miss the simplicity of your Mk4, but the Mk6 platform is so much better and functional. Will it make 500k? I doubt it... But I don't see why high 200s wouldn't be possible with the right care.

not sure i can 100% agree with you on that. MK4 to MK6 sure, MK5 to MK6 no. I have had my 2015 Jetta TDI for just over 1 week and there are tons of misses between the MK5 and MK6, and a lot of it is simple ****.